man forgotten about in holding cell for 5 days

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
This is outrageous
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/us/da ... .html?_r=1
LOS ANGELES — By his own admission, Daniel Chong planned to spend April 20 like so many other college students: smoking marijuana with friends to celebrate an unofficial holiday devoted to the drug.

K.C. Alfred/San Diego Union-Tribune, via Associated Press
Daniel Chong, 23, was hospitalized last month after his release from a Drug Enforcement Administration cell in San Diego.

But for Mr. Chong, the celebration ended in a Kafkaesque nightmare inside a San Diego Drug Enforcement Administration holding cell, where he said he was forgotten for four days, without food or water.

To survive, Mr. Chong said he drank his own urine, hallucinated and, at one point, considered how to take his own life. By the time agents found him on the fifth day and called paramedics, he said he thought he could be dead within five minutes.

“By that time, I’d accepted that I would probably die there,” Mr. Chong, a 23-year-old student at the University of California, San Diego, said Wednesday, three days after his release from the hospital.

A spokeswoman for the D.E.A. said the case was under investigation, but confirmed that Mr. Chong had been “accidentally left in one of the cells” from April 21 until April 25, and that he had not been charged with a crime.

In a written statement on Wednesday, William R. Sherman, the acting special agent in charge of the D.E.A. in San Diego, said he was deeply troubled by what happened.

“I extend my deepest apologies to the young man,” he said.

On April 20, a Friday, Mr. Chong had gone to get high at a friend’s house, in the so-called 4/20 ritual that sprang from a group of Northern California teenagers in the 1970s who liked to smoke marijuana at 4:20 p.m. The next morning, the D.E.A. raided the house. Agents found about 18,000 pills identified as MDMA, or Ecstasy, along with other drugs and weapons, according to the D.E.A., and Mr. Chong was detained, along with eight others.

The suspects were taken to the D.E.A. offices, where they were interviewed. Then seven of the suspects were taken to the county detention center, and one was released. Mr. Chong said the agents told him on Saturday, April 21, that he, too, would be released, and put him in a holding cell to wait for them to take him home.

“That door never opened again until Wednesday,” he said.

Instead, Mr. Chong was left alone in the 5-by-10-foot holding cell, with no food, no sink and no toilet — only a blanket. He said he could hear footsteps as agents walked by, other cell doors opening and toilets flushing. He kicked the door, screaming for water. But no one came.

After the first two days, Mr. Chong said, he began to hallucinate, imagining “little Japanese cartoon characters telling me what to do.” He clawed at the walls, convinced that they contained messages about where to find water.

Three times he drank his own urine. The only sustenance he had, he said, was a packet of white powder that he found wrapped in the blanket, which turned out to be methamphetamine.

On the fourth day, he said, the lights in the cell went out. Eventually, his hands still cuffed behind his back, he broke his eyeglasses with his teeth, as he contemplated killing himself. On his arm, he tried to carve a message: “Sorry Mom.” He also swallowed a piece of the glass, which cut his esophagus.

When agents discovered him on the afternoon of April 25, paramedics took him to a hospital, where his lawyers said he remained for five days while he was treated for kidney failure, severe dehydration and a perforated esophagus.

Eugene Iredale, one of Mr. Chong’s lawyers, said he planned to file a claim against the federal government, and, if that is denied, a lawsuit.

“How they failed to realize he was there or ignored him is beyond comprehension,” Mr. Iredale said.
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    was Cheech with him?
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    What I don't get about the story is how their was meth in the cell? :? :fp:
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    ?what the fuck :evil:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    the thing i laughed at ( and sorry) was when i was on the main page, i saw the headline of this thread.. posted by He who forgets. kinda made me chuckle. sorry
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    omg..that is horrible!!

the thing i laughed at ( and sorry) was when i was on the main page, i saw the headline of this thread.. posted by He who forgets. kinda made me chuckle. sorry

but this :lol:
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,683
    DS1119 wrote:
    What I don't get about the story is how their was meth in the cell? :? :fp:

This is what I would like to know? Poor bastard is already freaking out, then he digests some meth :lol:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2