Options

***The Official Boxing Thread**

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    I mean it's not breaking news that boxing is corrupt. Can't leave fights to judges. 

I just don't think there was a clear winner. Next one is not going 12, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Canelo had a slight advantage in power and percentage. GGG was the aggressor and threw a shit load of jabs so overall landed more. If you want to give it to him a slight edge for aggression, that's fine and I understand it but that's all he did better. It was a given coming in that he would be more aggressive. 

I just don't like jabs deciding a fight. I would prefer a draw here and them these two get back in a ring in 6 months now that they are comfortable with each other, it will be a full out brawl

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Just one more reason MMA is the future :wink:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    rgambs said:
    Just one more reason MMA is the future :wink:
    It's true. The first big PPV boxing match (not fake)  in the last five (10?) years featured a dude from former soviet Russia and a red head Mexican.  

And Vegas was the biggest force

Boxing is dead. 
  • Options
    Burgerflickall!
  • Options

Me and my relationship with boxing ....
  • Options
    Quit crying. You're acting like this was a lopsided fight.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Quit crying. You're acting like this was a lopsided fight
    So say it on the record  ... maybe Vegas will give you a job for  a shilling 
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    Canelo was backed into the ropes the entire f'rickin fight.   He Lost.  Sad!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Canelo was on the ropes for middle of the fight, yes. Canelo was always going to be on the ropes though.

no one got hurt.
    no one had a lopsided margin in power punches. GGG landed more to the head which is good for the eyes.
    no one had a significant margin in % landed
    GGG threw a shit load of jabs
    GGG was the aggressor, which obviously...

if anyone won, it was GGG, but I prefer a draw. I don't want jabs to decide a fight like this.

I think GGG ends it before the bell next time unless Canelo can somehow sustain that pace we saw in areas and not get hurt when he needs a break

The 118-110 card is a travesty. The others you can't complain about. There is not a thing wrong with other cards and 115-113 for canelo is even acceptable.

Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Andre Ward retired.  Well that is not ideal for the sport, but good for him personally.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,421
    RIP: Jake LaMotta.

Hard to believe he was ONLY knocked down ONCE in 106 fights.
  • Options
    cutz said:
    RIP: Jake LaMotta.

Hard to believe he was ONLY knocked down ONCE in 106 fights.
    Insane.  Back when I was dating a girl who lived at 63rd and 3rd, we used to go to PJ Clarkes for bloodies and oysters on an extremely regular basis.  Saw him in there one time, just minding his business.  I didn't say hi or anything, though from what I understand he would have been super cool about it. 
  • Options
    Let's go rigo
  • Options
    Ah well. It was an extreme long shot. Still love rigo 
  • Options
    Good for rigo. Fuck arum. Fight was bullshit 
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Anyone going to Watch Wilder vs Ortiz? 
  • Options
    Anyone going to Watch Wilder vs Ortiz? 
    That was a good fight. 
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,624
    Should be another good one on Showtime tonight. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Anyone watch Lomachenko v. Linares on Saturday night?  Excellent fight!  It was pretty even til the KO in my opinion.  Linares got the first professional knockdown on Loma, but Loma got the hook to the liver for the kill a couple rounds later.  Great fight on both their parts!
  • Options
    Anyone watch Lomachenko v. Linares on Saturday night?  Excellent fight!  It was pretty even til the KO in my opinion.  Linares got the first professional knockdown on Loma, but Loma got the hook to the liver for the kill a couple rounds later.  Great fight on both their parts!
    I watched bits and pieces of it. Great fight. Both men are great fighters. Boxing has been good the past couple years.
  • Options
    Shocking loss for Kovalev this recent weekend. He gasses too early in fights anymore. I’d say he is at the end of his rope.
  • Options
    Check this one out:

https://youtu.be/BGgLzQUvv_o
  • Options
    cutz said:
    Check this one out:

https://youtu.be/BGgLzQUvv_o

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,290
    HBO is leaving the Boxing business
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    edited September 2018
    igotid88 said:
    Sad.  Saw the list of fighters by appearance and my favorite (RJ Jr) was on the most often.
    Damn, I loved the 90s into early 2000s boxing on HBO.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,624
    igotid88 said:
    Showtime still does a great job, hopefully they pick up all the HBO fights. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    RS151862 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Showtime still does a great job, hopefully they pick up all the HBO fights. 
    SUCKS HBO is giving the sport up. 

Yeah, it would be good if Showtime picks up more fights, now.

Pay-per View has killed this sport. I think i' only paid for a fight one time, and that was Tyson-Douglass. And, the ONLY reason i did i went to a friends house where a few of us chip in a few dollars a piece.

That GGG VS Canelo Álvarez fight was going for what? $85 or $90? I don;t care how great the fight is, that is WAY too much money to charge for a Fight.