Too Fat To Fly?

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Woman sues Southwest because they asked her to buy two seats on a flight because of her weight. She actually claims they embarrassed her...which is why she's suing.
What are your thoughts? As a frequent flier, I applaud Southwest for charging overweight passengers for two seats. She claims at over 400lbs she could fit in a seat within the armrests, and I call BULLSHIT! I've sat next to so many fat-asses over the years and there is nothing worse. I'd take a plane full of screaming babies over having to sit next to a morbidly obese passenger. I paid for a seat, and that doesn't include having to touch anyone because they fall over the armrest.
She also claims that airlines should have larger seats for them because "over 30% of Americans are obese". Really? Really? So airlines are to remove their profitable seats and install lazyboys for the fatasses?
I think they should have scales for passengers like they do for your baggage. If your bag is over 50lbs, you get charged extra. I think if you are over 300lbs, you should have to buy another seat.

http://todaytravel.today.msnbc.msn.com/ ... lines?lite

Kenlie Tiggeman, who made headlines last year after being told by a Southwest Airlines gate agent that she was "too fat to fly," is suing the airline after it happened again.

Tiggeman, a New Orleans woman who once weighed more than 400 pounds and blogs about her successful quest to lose weight, says her biggest gripe is with the inconsistency of the airline’s “Customer of Size” policy.

“The problem I have with Southwest is not that they may want me to purchase two seats. It’s that sometimes they want that, and other times they don’t,” Tiggeman wrote Thursday in her blog.

After the first incident last spring, in which Tiggeman said a Southwest ticket agent told her in front of a gate full of passengers that she couldn't fly unless she purchased a second seat, an airline representative contacted her to apologize. She accepted the apology and agreed to fly on Southwest again, traveling on two more occasions — in a single seat — without any problems.

But in November 2011, she took another Southwest flight and was once again told that she was “too fat to fly,” Tiggeman said. Frustrated, she decided to take action.

“Paying double because a gate agent may or may not have something against overweight people is not realistic…nor should it be necessary.”
Live Poll

Should Southwest Airlines clarify its "Customers of Size" policy?
Yes. It's too open to interpretation.
No. It's spelled out clearly.
View Results

Tiggeman, 31, notes that she has never had issues like this with any other airline. She says her legal action is not about money — she is not seeking damages — in the suit she filed April 20 on her own in the Civil District Court for the Parish of Lafourche in Louisiana. She simply wants the carrier to clarify its policy.

"As a consumer, I may not have been born with the innate right to fly, but as a consumer who is willing to pay, I do have a right to understand the rules clearly at the point of purchase," Tiggeman said.

"
, it’s left to interpretation. So if they can take the guess work out of it then everyone will be better off moving forward and that’s what I’m trying to accomplish."

When contacted for comment, Southwest Airlines said its rules covering “Customers of Size” are clearly spelled out online.

“Our policy and FAQ is pasted on our website and communicated to customers, when applicable. It's a [part] of our contract of carriage,” said spokeswoman Brandy King.

The airline advises that passengers who “encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s)” must book an additional seat. The armrest is considered the definitive boundary between seats.

But Tiggeman insists she can sit in any seat on the plane with the armrests down. She wanted to demonstrate this to the gate agents during one of the incidents, she says, but was turned down.

Fliers who do not reserve a second seat but are deemed to fall under Southwest’s policy may be asked to purchase the additional space before departure, although the airline acknowledges that delivering such news can be embarrassing and says it tries to do so gently.

“It's difficult to deliver or receive a sensitive message, particularly in a setting like an airport, where it’s tough to speak privately. Because discussions about size are sensitive, we've cautioned our Employees to use discretion,” Southwest says on its website.

Tiggeman has received plenty of support on her blog, including comments calling her brave and strong.

“You are absolutely correct that their policies need to be consistent and enforced consistently,” a poster named Erin wrote.

But there were also critical comments.

“Nobody deserves to be embarrassed at the gates. However, I also understand the airline’s perspective. Making clear-cut guidelines is absolutely not as simple as you think it is. The policy could not be based on weight, because people carry [it] so differently,” a commenter named Laura wrote.

Tiggeman says she no longer flies Southwest.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I agree with Southwest. I'm not against anyone of any body type at all but if you can't fit in one seat that's the breaks. I mean they do it on roller coasters so why not airplanes?
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    While I certainly think that our society is far too litigious (that's a word, right?), I actually agree that airlines should take under consideration, larger seats for larger passengers...can it really hurt to have one row of extra large seats? They could sell at a slightly higher price to make up for lost profits. I think obese people have enough to worry about than to have to fear the embarassement and hassle of not fitting into an airline seat. I think you're being a little harsh. Now should the woman win her case against SW? That's another discussion and I dont think I'm in any position to decide.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    While I certainly think that our society is far too litigious (that's a word, right?), I actually agree that airlines should take under consideration, larger seats for larger passengers...can it really hurt to have one row of extra large seats? They could sell at a slightly higher price to make up for lost profits. I think obese people have enough to worry about than to have to fear the embarassement and hassle of not fitting into an airline seat. I think you're being a little harsh. Now should the woman win her case against SW? That's another discussion and I dont think I'm in any position to decide.

So, you don't think the "fat seats" won't bring a certain amount of embarrassment? Pretty sure, the stigma of the "Fat seats" will bring the obese to not want to sit there.
    The airlines can do nothing but keep things equal for all.
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    mca47 wrote:

So, you don't think the "fat seats" won't bring a certain amount of embarrassment? Pretty sure, the stigma of the "Fat seats" will bring the obese to not want to sit there.
    The airlines can do nothing but keep things equal for all.
    Not necessarily...I'd shell out a few extra bucks for an extra wide seat just for the comfort level. I think that they could have 6 or so extra wide seats per flight priced at a slightly higher premium than normal...maybe 15% higher. 1-2 days before scheduled flight, if they arent sold, they could release them to general public. If I was obese, I'd rather sit in a seat customized to my size rather than taking up two seats. That's more embarassing in my opinion. Just my 0.02...
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    To even things up, they should only charge for one ticket if a pair of heroin-chic models can both fit in the same seat.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Not necessarily...I'd shell out a few extra bucks for an extra wide seat just for the comfort level. I think that they could have 6 or so extra wide seats per flight priced at a slightly higher premium than normal...maybe 15% higher.

It's called first class.
    I also have no problem with them forcing the obese to buy a first class seats...as they do by charging them for two. Really no difference.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    One of my good friends weighs 260, he's a big dude. I sat next to him on a flight once and it kinda sucked, I was crammed into my little seat with both my legs together off to one side. 400 pounds? Can't even imagine it. With fuel prices high and airlines going broke there is no way they are going to increases seat size. This is a real fine line though. I don't think overweight people should be ostracised by the airlines but it does bring up some issues. For example: Why should I have to pay $100-150 for my golf clubs when my combined weight with my clubs is still half of a 400 pound person?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I agree with the airlines, they have that box where if your carry-on doesn't fit, you have to check it. they should put an airline seat next to it, and if you have 'spillage' whilst sitting it the seat, you have to pay for an extra seat. They have the height restrictions at the amusement park, same thing. "You must be this tall to ride"
    So next to the seat, it should say, "you must be able to fit in this seat to fly".

I have sat next to the big round guy who has to use a seat belt extension it was not a very aromatically pleasing or comfortable flight.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    RKCNDY wrote:
    it was not a very aromatically pleasing.

Sorry about that. :lol: :oops: