Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch dies at 47

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Very sad....he seemed like such a gentle soul.
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    Damn it this sucks. I thought he was on the road to recovery. :(

First cassette tape I ever owned was License to Ill...
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    That is absolutely terrible.
    47?!
    My prayers are for his wife + daughter,
    as well as his bandmates.

I think I will play the video for
    'Sabotage' a few dozen times
    for the kids.
    Sympathy for all the fans,
    'cause most of them are more
    dedicated than I ever was.

God bless.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    This is very sad,wasn't a big fan of theirs however the instrumental album The In Sound From The Way Out is one of my favourite albums.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    So sad. The Beasties were one of my favorite groups/bands of alltime. Hell, my username is because of him! :cry:

Time to spin some Paul's Boutique.... :cry:
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    This is a shocker! I thought he was getting better? Wow, 3 summers ago I was supposed to see them and they made the announcement of his cancer less than two weeks before the show and cancelled.

Yep, I'd never had the chance to see them perform. So excited they were on the bill for the Outside Lands Festival in 2009 (I was making a mini vacation of the festival) and they had to cancel due to Adams health.

Sad sad day, RIP Adam - Hope you're up there smiling with my husband, he loved the Beasties!!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,757
    RIP
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    My heart's been aching all day over this. I feel especially bad for his family and for Adam and Mike too....they are as good as family.

It's weird, tonight I'm seeing the Black Keys at the Oracle Arena. Last time I saw a show there was the Beastie Boys on their Hello Nasty tour. I'm grateful I got to see them at least once, they were amazing.

Licensed to Ill was the soundtrack of my junior year in high school. It's like part of my youth has died today too.

MCA was my favorite Beastie (man it's weird saying "was"). :(
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    so sad... :(
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    Very few musician deaths really move me, but this one really hurts...same feeling as when Joe Strummer and Jim Carroll left us.
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Very few musician deaths really move me, but this one really hurts...same feeling as when Joe Strummer and Jim Carroll left us.

I have a hug for you! I should have stretched over the stair rail and gave it to you at the show last night!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    I hear ya Joe, I think the last time I was this upset over a musician passing it was George Harrison.
    PJPixie wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I have a hug for you! I should have stretched over the stair rail and gave it to you at the show last night!

aw, thanks!
    I hear ya Joe, I think the last time I was this upset over a musician passing it was George Harrison.

That was very sad!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

i think the last time i was this upset about a musician dying was kurt...like then, in the back of your mind the likelihood of him dying was great because of his likely terminal disease...in adam's case, cancer...and it fucking pisses me off
    norm wrote:

i think the last time i was this upset about a musician dying was kurt...like then, in the back of your mind the likelihood of him dying was great because of his likely terminal disease...in adam's case, cancer...and it fucking pisses me off
    I think this is upsetting me more than Kurt passing. I've been corresponding with old friends all day about MCA, we all remember how huge their music was to us back in the day, and still is. Been listening to him for over 25 years, it's crazy.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    What I find amazing despite this sad day...

You read news articles on CNN, MSNBC, etc. and sure enough they have people's comments at the bottom. 99% of the time, the comments are people talking out of their ass about any range of topics.

I've read a number of those today, and it seems like everyone was hit hard by this. So much respect for Adam...and deserving so!

I'm still upset about this, and I know I will for some time.
  • LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    Well I will say this...I'm damn proud to be from the same place as him (and the other Beastie Boys). They represent NY'ers so well. True inspirations and pioneers.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Back in '94 I wanted to record "So whatcha whatcha whatcha want?" if I had an answering machine.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    So sad.
    For all you Aussie fans, Rage are planning a tribute show for next weekend.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I can't believe how much this affected me when I got the news even after having slept on it over the night. I knew Adam was sick, but I felt like he would recover from it and move on. There are so many memories tied to the Beastie Boys, and the one of the best concert experiences of my life was seeing the Beastie Boys the night after I first saw Pearl Jam in Atlanta back in '98. While I love Pearl Jam and have loved all the shows I've attended, I still say to this day that the Beastie Boys is the best show I've ever seen live. The first album I ever received was "Thriller," but the first album I ever asked for was "Licensed to Ill." You will be so incredibly missed, Adam Yauch, but you will never be forgotten. RIP
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    so very sad to hear this news.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    I can't believe how much this affected me when I got the news even after having slept on it over the night.

Yep, little by little our youth slowly begins to fade away, some losses hitting harder than others.
    Very sad news.
    Nice shirt.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    They had some of the best videos ever.

Wonder if what Mike D and Ad Rock are gonna do? You can't really replace him, IMO. Are they gonna do solo albums?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    not a colplay fan by any means but major props for them for this from last night at the hollywood bowl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVr4UP9n ... ure=colike
    They had some of the best videos ever.

Wonder if what Mike D and Ad Rock are gonna do? You can't really replace him, IMO. Are they gonna do solo albums?
    I think that's another reason this hits so hard. It's not only the loss of MCA, but the end of the Beastie Boys overall. I can't imagine them going on without him.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I'm not really into rap, but the Beastie Boys were such a huge presence in the music world that they couldn't be ignored. Very sorry to hear this, I knew he had cancer but I was hoping he'd pull through. RIP.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • MissJam81MissJam81 Posts: 1,878
    :( :( :(
    Wendy Testaburger

" we're going to take this to some level that people aren't going to forget... and if that means risking your life, we're going to do it!..." EV

"
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    norm wrote:
    not a colplay fan by any means but major props for them for this from last night at the hollywood bowl

Yeah, man. That's awesome. What a fucking shame.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    norm wrote:

Not generally a fan of the band but that was god damn awesome.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"