International Firefighters Day

uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
May 4th is International Firefighters Day. I'm close with a few firefighters (and some not-yet hired ones), so I think today's a great day to show them some recognition and thank them for their services in the community.

ribbon-iffd.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    :clap:

I come from a family of firefighters, toughest job in the world if you ask me.

Hats off to these heroes!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    true...they deal with so much difficult shit..
    much respect
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    yes!

My dear departed Daddy was a lifelong fireman/rescue member.

When we were little kiddies before the wireless radio when telephone only was the way the alarm sounded,
    he used to spend his overnight shift (q 3 wks prob) sleeping at the ambulance station, with his squad partner Nonnie. They were all volunteers, its a small town. We used to look forward to it, cuz we got to visit him in the station on weekends. (wow, seems like yesterday).

The thing I remember most about the fireman portion of his service was him driving the old old old fire truck engine in the Memorial Day parades and me getting to ride up front with him :):):)

He never brought his stories home to us when we were young.

It wasn't until I was an adult that I leaned some of what he REALLY did all those days and nights. My Hero.

He stayed active all his life until he just couldn't do it any more..and then became a lifetime member, retired.

My SIL is also a volunteer fireman. Gotta give credit there too.

Kudos to all rescue and fire men and women everywhere. We depend on you for so much.
    KARMA will be coming your way more than sevenfold.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,695
    Thank you fire dudes and fire dudettes! You guys are amazing.

We just got back Wed. from three days in Mendocino Natl. forest and ran into a couple of USFS fire crews in training and thanked them for their efforts. A good bunch of people!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I hold them in the same high regard as our police and military.

And, in light of the "intentional wildfire threats" we just received out here in CA, may they all keep safe in case that shit comes to fruition.