$100 for Carry-on Bags

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
As a frequent flyer...this is insane! Not that I would ever fly Spirit anyways... :lol:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Spirit Airlines raised its fee for carry-on bags to $100, becoming the first U.S. airline to charge so much for a service that most other airlines offer for free.

Spirit said on its website that the new fees apply to carry-on bags registered at the gate and will become effective Nov. 6. Until that time, Spirit will continue to charge $45.

Tom Parsons, chief executive of Bestfares.com, referred to the carry-on baggage fees as "skyway robbery" and "snakes on a plane," noting that Spirit and Allegiant Air are the only U.S. airlines to charge for carry-on bags.

According to its website, Spirit passengers can save money by paying the fees in airport kiosks, which charge $40 for a carry-on bag, a fee that will rise to $50 on Nov. 6. On that day, Spirit Airlines will be raising a wide swath of fees for checked luggage and other services.

"Many people won't realize the fee until they get to the gate," said Parsons. But he added that most people will ditch the line and go back to a kiosk to avoid paying the extra money.

Representatives for Spirit Airlines did not return messages from CNNMoney.

Baggage fees are among the airline industry's so-called ancillary fees. In recent years, many airlines started charging fees for services that used to come for free, like pet travel and non-alcoholic drinks.

Some airlines, like the European carrier Ryanair, charge low base fares and seek to make their money through a plethora of fees. But airlines Southwest (LUV, Fortune 500) and JetBlue (JBLU) do not impose fees for carry-ons, or for the first checked bags. In addition, Southwest doesn't charge for the second checked bags.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,367
    It is horse shit, but some people seriously abuse the carry on bag policy. A purse, sure. A backpack, OK. But a suitcase strapped onto the handle of a larger suitcase is not a carry on.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    It is horse shit, but some people seriously abuse the carry on bag policy. A purse, sure. A backpack, OK. But a suitcase strapped onto the handle of a larger suitcase is not a carry on.

I think some people are to chicken shit to check in their bag. But I agree with you. It is abused. What you described is somethign I have seen and it is just ridiculous.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

ditch the bullshit check bag fee and i won't carry on all my luggage. i would prefer to check.

airlines brought that shit on themselves
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    ditch the bullshit check bag fee and i won't carry on all my luggage. i would prefer to check.

Agree with this too. Don't charge us to check a bag in. You want us to pay money to give you our bag that we really have no idea how you're going to treat?

Either way though, I still check shit in. I've only been burned once, and it wasn't that bad. Instead of going to the completely wrong destination, they put my bag on the flight to Atlanta from Denver that left after mine.

I told them I wouldn't become their worst customer of the day if they'd deliver the bag to where we were staying in Atlanta, but they had to do it that night because we were leaving for Florida the following morning. Problem solved. :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,823
    Is it really that difficult to simply factor the baggage fee into the plane ticket so I dont feel like I am getting shafted without the KY?
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    This is why I like SOuthwest so much. No BS. Fares may have crept up a little with them but they seem to be best at what an airline should do. Just get you where you're going on time.
    DS1119 wrote:
    This is why I like SOuthwest so much. No BS. Fares may have crept up a little with them but they seem to be best at what an airline should do. Just get you where you're going on time.

I go with Southwest whenever I can. I hate it when I discover that they don't fly into where it is that I'm going though.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    DS1119 wrote:

woman took jetblue last week and really liked it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Get_Right wrote:
    Is it really that difficult to simply factor the baggage fee into the plane ticket so I dont feel like I am getting shafted without the KY?

Apparently stealth in ripping us off isn't their highest priority.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

What woman? :P
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Regardless of this ridiculous carry-on fee, Spirit is the biggest piece of shit airline I have ever been on. You have to pay extra for everything....they dont even give you a free pop or coffee. I'd rather take a fucking bus than fly Spirit ever again.
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

He's got a thing going with RM22.
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

:fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    81 wrote:

Exactly. I only check luggage if I absolutely have to, especially with the fees they charge plus I don't have to worry about my carry on getting lost.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    DS1119 wrote:

Cant go wrong with Southwest.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    First of all, I hate checking my bag. I hate trudging thru stupid people and then dealing with the people who think it's ok to push me out of the way to get to their bag..."hello? it's on a carousel, it will get to you" :x

It was a lot faster to have your bag with you, just go directly to the parking garage and leave, no wasting another hour getting to baggage claim.

I didn't check my bag when I went to Alpine, I had a mini roller and stuck it under the seat in front of me.

Frontier charged me to pick my seat when I bought tickets, depending on where you want to sit dictates the price. $20 to sit in the emergency aisle (more leg room), $18 to sit in the center of the plane, $13 to sit in the back. Or I could just not pay and let them choose which psycho I get to sit by.

$100 to carry on a bag is stupid, I would just layer on all my clothes I would wear on vacation...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGKYhWShWVjTKRjaIc3jGw7HRqRVtXpVmdXQxqrtBaU5yUUlJ6
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Regardless of this ridiculous carry-on fee, Spirit is the biggest piece of shit airline I have ever been on. You have to pay extra for everything....they dont even give you a free pop or coffee. I'd rather take a fucking bus than fly Spirit ever again.

100% this. forget the free snacks, but they nickle and dime the shit out of you.

i booked them to fly from NYC to aruba one summer and just as the plane was rolling away from the gate, we came to an abrupt halt. after about 10 minutes the captain announced that we will be delayed about 40 minutes as the plane does not have enough fuel to make it all the way to aruba. :shock:

minutes later, a shell oil truck roles up to our plane and fuels us up.

isn't that an important check list item? pilot? check. co-pilot? check. FUEL? CHECK?
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I fly Southwest at least once a week and they are by far the best of all the domestic airlines.
    Checked bags are free, you can change your flight for free, no hidden fees, and they treat their customers with respect.

They are also one of the only airlines that consistently makes giant profits. Giving away free stuff...and yet, they make more money than the others who claim they "need" to add these charges. Hmmmm... :?
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    mca47 wrote:
    I fly Southwest at least once a week and they are by far the best of all the domestic airlines.
    Checked bags are free, you can change your flight for free, no hidden fees, and they treat their customers with respect.

They are also one of the only airlines that consistently makes giant profits. Giving away free stuff...and yet, they make more money than the others who claim they "need" to add these charges. Hmmmm... :?

Yep, I love Southwest too. I hope that nothing changes with their merger with Airtran.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Now I definitely agree with you on this one...so if airlines are making this much more $ on carry-on fees, why not have a few large seats??
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Now I definitely agree with you on this one...so if airlines are making this much more $ on carry-on fees, why not have a few large seats??

I think they should just start a fat airline. Giant seats and tasty snacks for the larger folks :lol:
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    mca47 wrote:

I think they should just start a fat airline. Giant seats and tasty snacks for the larger folks :lol:
    you could be onto something :think:
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    mca47 wrote:

you could be onto something :think:

Fatty-Air

I also think they should have one for babies, and the elderly...but that's just me! :lol:
    mca47 wrote:

Fatty-Air

I also think they should have one for babies, and the elderly...but that's just me! :lol:

:fp:
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    RKCNDY wrote:
    ...Frontier charged me to pick my seat when I bought tickets, depending on where you want to sit dictates the price. $20 to sit in the emergency aisle (more leg room),.....

you are charged more for emergency aisle seats not only for more leg room but you take on the responsibility for that emergency exit should it become necessary.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say