Who screwed up? Hartford show ending before 11?

bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Wasn't sure which title to give this thread so I went with all 3

most importantly - I HAD A GREAT TIME IN HARTFORD

and now for the query ... not a bitch mind you ;)

why did the show end before 11?

With Ed making the comment about having to pay to play past curfew it had me thinking that he was confusing Hartford with Mansfield

Hartford has no curfew... yet they ended before 11

maybe the better question is "why did the show start early?" maybe to avoid the issues from last time?

I don't feel cheated... like I said I had a great time

I'm just wondering ... did the band think they were in Mansfield?
Don't Believe Everything You Think
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yeah, it was a great show. I think it's just because the show started an hour early. I mean if it had started at 8 (with the opener) it would have gone until about 11:45 or so, which seems about right...
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    in 2003 they started every show that I went to right around 8:50. Hartford started at 8:38. why they stopped before 11 is anybody's guess. It was a great 2 hours and 10 minutes though. that being said, I guess most of us that go to either the Philly, NY/NJ or Boston shows are a little spoiled by getting a 2.5 to 3 hour show almost every time...
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    in 2003 they started every show that I went to right around 8:50. Hartford started at 8:38. why they stopped before 11 is anybody's guess. It was a great 2 hours and 10 minutes though. that being said, I guess most of us that go to either the Philly, NY/NJ or Boston shows are a little spoiled by getting a 2.5 to 3 hour show almost every time...

definitely spoiled

and ready to be spoiled further :)

i really think someone fucked up and they thought they were back in mansfield
  • More CoffeeMore Coffee Posts: 598

You summed it up perfectly. That night I thought it was too short, but I'm from the Philly area and I've been spoiled. The show wasn't too short. It was a good, solid show.

I don't know if the band thought they were in Mansfiled, but I did. Every other guy there had a Boston hat on. I received a nice compliment on my Phillies hat from a Boston fan. I met nicer Boston natives in Hartford Ct than I did in Boston.
    support The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
    http://giving.chop.edu/site/PageServer?pagename=give_GiveTheGift
  • PineappleAnaPineappleAna Posts: 255
    I thought they did have a curfew?

I bet a lot had to do with ed being drunk, which made for great comedy.
  • Isn't there a difference between a venue curfew and restrictions placed on performers by the labor unions?

I thought that some of the issues with show lenght were affected not by noise curfews, but by the fact that the union event workers had contracts which stipulated how long they could be required to stay at any given event.

anyone have any experience with this?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • OTOTOOTOTO Posts: 190
    I thought they did have a curfew?

I bet a lot had to do with ed being drunk, which made for great comedy.

Agreed, it did make for good comedy. "The last bowl of pourage" While, well meaning and complimentary. . . .not something a sober person says. He was funny.
    "You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train"
  • sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    He remembered the tear gas from '98... He knew...

Show started early b/c it was a Saturday perhaps... Nothing wrong with an early start. For it's pacing the showed seemed due to end right when it did. Don't get me wrong I could have stood for another 4 song encore or so, but I didn't feel short changed by the Hartford show either.

Besides, he didn't want to keep Crazy Mary the shuttle bus driver waiting for the trip back to Sweet Janes....
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
    hsh wrote:
    Agreed, it did make for good comedy. "The last bowl of pourage" While, well meaning and complimentary. . . .not something a sober person says. He was funny.

I loved it when he laughed at his own joke about calling us to see how we liked the show
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    as you said it started early, and I think there is a curfew there

also, since Ed had to be in Chicago by noon the next day for the ball game, that makes for a late evening - I'm sure they flew out right after the show
    now that I think about it, the last show I saw there was over before 11 too and I asked one of the staff if the city had a curfew, he said he didn't know but that he knew 100% they'd be off stage by 10:45 or 11 so that makes me wonder about the union laws
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    i don't think it was ended early... it was a 7:00 show, not a 7:30 show. Albany (a 7:30 show) ended at like 11:35 or so, and I just checked my cell phone, and I called a friend right after ledbetter ended it hartford, and it was at 10:59... so i don't think that the show was really shortened for any reason, or shorter than most shows.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    should have gone to albany with me :)
    I don't know if the band thought they were in Mansfiled, but I did. Every other guy there had a Boston hat on. I received a nice compliment on my Phillies hat from a Boston fan. I met nicer Boston natives in Hartford Ct than I did in Boston.

boston people are much more friendly away from boston... even to their own

when you're in boston you run into the no life's who don't travel anywhere but from fenway to the garden and back home again.... oh and to the big dig to work each day... clowns

i met the best group of boston people in new orleans

just how it is

i will say the same is true for philly though... going through philly to the borgata I got so much crap for my Patriots hat and Red Sox T-shirt

jealous bastards ;)
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    bostonlou wrote:
    boston people are much more friendly away from boston... even to their own

when you're in boston you run into the no life's who don't travel anywhere but from fenway to the garden and back home again.... oh and to the big dig to work each day... clowns

i met the best group of boston people in new orleans

just how it is

i will say the same is true for philly though... going through philly to the borgata I got so much crap for my Patriots hat and Red Sox T-shirt

jealous bastards ;)

You got shit for the Patriots not the Sox hat. There are a ton of Sox fans in Philly. I'll be at all three games this weekend sporting my Sox gear and I live in the heart of South Philly.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • woodsy054woodsy054 Posts: 2
    How about the 8 dollar bear and the Nazi IDing...
  • qwerty1qwerty1 Posts: 142
    The show ended early because they wanted to make sure they didnt miss their plane to Chicago! You dont want to spend any more time in Hartford than you have too!
    This sidewalk is for regular walking, not for fancy walking!
  • XboxjunkieXboxjunkie Posts: 133
    bostonlou wrote:

With Ed making the comment about having to pay to play past curfew it had me thinking that he was confusing Hartford with Mansfield

maybe the better question is "why did the show start early?" maybe to avoid the issues from last time?

How can you mistake it for Mansfield? Mansfield blows this joint out of the water. It may look alike but they are far from being the same!

the show took a dive after the first set. Too bad cause the 1st set was very good ..........still had a great time though!
    How I choose to feel is how I am.
  • EddiesMuseEddiesMuse Posts: 389
    bostonlou wrote:

At one point when ed fell down on the stage with his guitar it looked like he cracked himself in the mouth with the arm of his guitar, he even walked off with his hand over his mouth, i thought it might have ended there but they did about 4 more songs, could be why
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,769
    Hartford shows almost always end before 11, its been that way for a long time.
    I could hear MMJ about 1.5 miles from the venue, so it must be noise related.
    I know Koplik said there is no curfew, but its clear they had to be off by 11:00.

Notice the start times on the ticket and you can figure it out
    Albany start time 7:30=11:30 or later
    Hartford start time 7:00=11:00 or so.

Maybe not true for all shows, but true for these two.

Tha only question is why didnt PJ come on earlier as the break was longer after MMJ in hartford. They should have been on by 8:30.
    Xboxjunkie wrote:
    How can you mistake it for Mansfield? Mansfield blows this joint out of the water. It may look alike but they are far from being the same!

the show took a dive after the first set. Too bad cause the 1st set was very good ..........still had a great time though!

the only likeness is they're both open air buildings in the northeast

maybe ed isn't that smart ;)
  • PelicanzPelicanz Posts: 21
    Correct me if I'm wrong but labor unions do have a set of restrictions that equal a de facto curfew in some venues.
  • ndv180ndv180 Posts: 80
    In the box office (behind the Will Call windows) there was a little blackboard with chalk writing on it that said:

My Morning Jacket 7:00-7:45
    Pearl Jam 8:15-10:45

Due to this, I was at my seat at around 8:10. They didn't kick it off until around 8:35. The first encore set was definitely lacking a song or two.

I don't think there is any way Ed or the band confused this venue with Mansfield. They know they aren't allowed to play Mansfield anymore (unless something has changed) and now have their Boston gigs above North Station.