America's Ten Most Polluted Cities

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Surprsied at some cities that are on the list and surprised at some that aren't.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/ameri ... -2012.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Very surprised to see Phoenix at #7 in that I plan to retire there sometime down the road.

phoenix_az2.jpg

7. Phoenix
    Population: 4,192,887
    Cardiovascular cases: 981,249
    Rank in most ozone-polluted cities: 19

High dust levels continue to plague Phoenix.

Phoenix's intense sunlight can cook emissions into a smog soup. But efforts to cut tailpipe emissions have helped cut back ozone levels in the city considerably.

"We've had a long-term vehicle emissions inspection policy for about 25 years," said Mark Shaffer, a spokesman for the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality.

But nothing can help the area deal with its never-ending supply of dust -- a factor that helps put Phoenix in sixth place for year-round particle pollution.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Stay away g under p! We have enough retirees!!! Hahaha :lol:
  • sabreleafsabreleaf Posts: 310
    Where the heck are they getting their population numbers from. These numbers are not even close to the 50 mile radius numbers used in rating cities. Way to high.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    By using ozone as a benchmark, a city's topography can weigh heavily against it. If you notice that a number of these cities are in valleys....which tend to trap ozone.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    g under p wrote:
    Very surprised to see Phoenix at #7 in that I plan to retire there sometime down the road.

phoenix_az2.jpg

7. Phoenix
    Population: 4,192,887
    Cardiovascular cases: 981,249
    Rank in most ozone-polluted cities: 19

High dust levels continue to plague Phoenix.

Phoenix's intense sunlight can cook emissions into a smog soup. But efforts to cut tailpipe emissions have helped cut back ozone levels in the city considerably.

"We've had a long-term vehicle emissions inspection policy for about 25 years," said Mark Shaffer, a spokesman for the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality.

But nothing can help the area deal with its never-ending supply of dust -- a factor that helps put Phoenix in sixth place for year-round particle pollution.

Peace

It's true and I'm moving there. :lol: If you go to the high mountains overlooking the valley you can see a huge cloud just sitting above the city. Great stuff. :lol:
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Hooray for brown clouds! :lol:
    mca47 wrote:
    Hooray for brown clouds! :lol:

:thumbup:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,802
    I'm pretty sure Philly is ranked #10 cause of the Schuylkill River :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    mca47 wrote:
    Stay away g under p! We have enough retirees!!! Hahaha :lol:

I now live in South Florida the Palm Beaches and it beautiful here but we have another house already there that's just the right size for us. I made the comment two nights ago Phoenix at the moment has ALL four sports teams and it's so different from Florida and east coast where I know now very well. The mountains are just to beautiful out there just don't know how I'll bicycle in the heat of Az.

Vegas and Sedona aren't to far away though. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've been to 8 of those cities....suprised i'm not dead yet.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,362

Been here my whole life and it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be. Maybe next time some other city near Fresno will knock us out of the top 10. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874

do the duck boats go in there?

during one of my PJ trips we took a duck tour and a friggin giant boat nearly capsized us... i was pretty sure the water was hazardous but we didn't get wet like the people on the side of the wave
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,362

do the duck boats go in there?

during one of my PJ trips we took a duck tour and a friggin giant boat nearly capsized us... i was pretty sure the water was hazardous but we didn't get wet like the people on the side of the wave

Duck boats go in the Delaware River, which is much more polluted than the Schuylkill. You're lucky - some people died in a duck boat crash. I'll never get on one of those things. :!:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    81 wrote:
    you're still young there little guy
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    next...mexico city. welcome to living in a valley-bowl totally surrounded by mountains. congratulations on every swingin john having 14 kids each.

bakerfield, california. been there quite a few times and have had a total blast. love bakersfield at night. it's got that desert nightime feel. my dad loved bakersfield.

we have a family friend we call bakersfield as it is his home town :mrgreen:

i am thankful i live in fresh country air iowa. although that westport, washington was absolutely the freshest air ever breathed, that and the olympic rainforest just north of westport a bit, has the greatest oxygen ever breathed in. there is something to say about fresh, crisp and brand fucking new air. those are the places where you open your windows and at night the sleeping next to the pacific ocean and mountains and trees moss and drizzle is beyond the greatest air in the universe

i think i'll pass on breathing in toxic common knowledge air-poisons....thanks
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Damn I had Philly to show for $50...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    we got screwed :lol:

web-322875.jpg
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    imalive wrote:
    we got screwed :lol:

web-322875.jpg

Yeah, how SLC didn't make that list is beyond me. We get some fucking terrible smog here.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    Duck boats go in the Delaware River, which is much more polluted than the Schuylkill. You're lucky - some people died in a duck boat crash. I'll never get on one of those things. :!:

wow... they didn't mention that in the brochure ;)
    81 wrote:

Now with this news PJ will be touring in the other two cities you havn't been to and you will be a special VIP guest from the 10c. They will be keeping their fingers crossed.