Pinch Harmonics and Low Strings

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited May 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay so this damn Ratt - Round and Round tab has a PH at 5th fret on A string.
I can pinch harmonic anything on the TOP three strings (GBE) but am just realizing i pretty much straight up can NOT get the sound out of the E A or D strings ...

is it the type of strings i am using? or my shitty Cube solid state amp? I ASSURE you i am using a HIGH gain setting and the highest output from my guitar.

???

help help.
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Learning about every Tool song there is I've gotten pretty good at it. It's a matter of practice makes perfect. Aside from the basic instruction of doing artificial harmonics, the biggest key to it that I've found is make sure your pick hand is at a point in the string where it's actually possible to get a nice ringing harmonic. Think about the open string natural harmonics and that same idea as far as note relation applies to artificial harmonics.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    Learning about every Tool song there is I've gotten pretty good at it. It's a matter of practice makes perfect. Aside from the basic instruction of doing artificial harmonics, the biggest key to it that I've found is make sure your pick hand is at a point in the string where it's actually possible to get a nice ringing harmonic. Think about the open string natural harmonics and that same idea as far as note relation applies to artificial harmonics.

I guess my question isn't about PH in general,
    it's why can't I do them ON THE THICKER STRINGS (E, A, and D)?

I can do them just fine on G, B, and E ... but on the E, A, and D strings, they just won't ring out.

What gives?
    I'm wondering if it's my choice of strings, the type of amp i'm using, my pickups, or i guess it's possibly still my hand mechanics, buut why would they work on the high strings and not the low strings?
  • ive had the same problem myself but playing alot of metalcore ive gotten used to them. for myself i play PH with a different technique on EAD than on GBE you just have to find the "sweet spot"
  • ive had the same problem myself but playing alot of metalcore ive gotten used to them. for myself i play PH with a different technique on EAD than on GBE you just have to find the "sweet spot"

Yes i was messing around the other day on this "phenomenon", and best i could come up with, it WAS\IS a hand mechanics issue.

If i change the pick position in my hand, and shove my thumb down even lower into the pick tip\string i can get a real muted\shitty harmonic out of them dang EAD strings ... otherwise nothing. Got no problems getting em out of the high strings.

Thanks for the confirmation I just suck at it though!
    :D

Yes i was messing around the other day on this "phenomenon", and best i could come up with, it WAS\IS a hand mechanics issue.

If i change the pick position in my hand, and shove my thumb down even lower into the pick tip\string i can get a real muted\shitty harmonic out of them dang EAD strings ... otherwise nothing. Got no problems getting em out of the high strings.

Thanks for the confirmation I just suck at it though!
    :D
    thats pretty much how you do it! just practise heaps with that. practise makes perfect!