Road trip from LA to Minneapolis - what should we see?

stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
My husband and I are going to be flying into LA in August, then road-tripping to Minneapolis where we will spend a couple of weeks.

At the moment the plans are to go via Las Vegas, see the Hoover Dam, then see the Grand Canyon, and drive up to Mt Rushmore via Colorado. Then we head East straight to Minneapolis.

My question is this. Apart from these major tourist attractions, what else would you recommend we see along the way? We don't have time to do major detours (even though I'd love to see Yellowstone National Park!!), so what, if any, little gems along that route could we stop and see?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It is too bad that time is a factor, but consider an alternative route.
    Rather than heading straight to MT Rushmore from CO take a route shaped like the letter C starting at the bottom.
    Visit NW Wyoming(Yellowstone) and Jackson Hole. Grand Tetons, Dubois, Sunlight Basin, and Cody
    Salmon Idaho: River of no Return and Frank Church Wilderness
    Montana: Glacier National Park
    Google these areas.
    Take another month off.
    Screw work
  • Dirty Frank ZDirty Frank Z Posts: 2,878
    When you're in Minneapolis, don't be affraid to drive over the river to St. Paul. We have cool stuff to see and doo, too. And downtown to downtown is only 8 miles. Now, that I'm done pumping up St. Paul, no matter what you do or see in Minneapolis, you have to eat a Juicy Lucy from either 5-8 Tavern or Matt's Bar. Or come to St. Paul and get one at the Nook, Shamrock's (owned by the Nook) or the Blue Door. Otherwise, enjoy the Twin Cities!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,891
    I would go with whats in front of the car about 5 or 6 car lengths ahead.

Oh , and give wide clearance for trucks!!! ;)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. :mrgreen:

thumbnail.aspx?q=4873976672617112&id=fe1e502113bce465a663d99c67c98a8f
    Wall Drug in Wall, SD. :mrgreen:

thumbnail.aspx?q=4616128305823751&id=f15063055f6947f4ab31e4b1c0056185

You can get a cup of coffee for only $0.05!
    Also, don't forget to stop by the Badlands National Park in SD as well.

Well, that about covers everything in SD.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    See if you can find Eyed and Chadwick
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    Jason P wrote:
    Wall Drug in Wall, SD. :mrgreen:

thumbnail.aspx?q=4616128305823751&id=f15063055f6947f4ab31e4b1c0056185

You can get a cup of coffee for only $0.05!

So I looked this up, cause someone on Facebook said we should stop and see it as well. What is the deal? It's like a pharmacy turned tourist attraction???? Or is it just that we should stop and see it for the weirdness factor?
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    mickeyrat wrote:
    I would go with whats in front of the car about 5 or 6 car lengths ahead.

Oh , and give wide clearance for trucks!!! ;)

My husband, the awesome Thorns2010 is from Minneapolis, so he will be doing MOST of the driving...but I get to try driving on the wrong side of the road!! (yes, it IS the wrong side of the road....and the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car), So maybe the trucks need to give us a wide clearance?! HA!! :lol: