Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    that's disgusting.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    As much as I dislike Boston teams I would take this with a grain of salt and just chalk it up to assholes being assholes. There are ignorant fans in every market who take opportunites like this to spew their bullshit. I've met a lot of cool people from Boston (even though your sports teams suck) and these idiots in the link are in my experience are a small minority. I've probably attended 500 or so sporting events in NYC and every once in a while you hear or see something and it's just like "really"? :fp:
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    It is absolutely ridiculous and pathetic how serious people will take sports. How weak must you be to have this outlook in the first place, but on top of that... how weak are you to allow the defeat of your sports team to let that disgusting side of your personality shine for all to see.

What a disgrace to so many things. Sports, human equality, and all of those people's names and families.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,362
    Ridiculous.

Totally unrelated: Let me say that Wayne Simmonds is absolutely one of my favorite Flyers. His style of play has many of us likening him to being a "true" "prototypical" Flyer in the ilk of Rick Tocchet. I'm pretty sure he is a big fan favorite. He happens to be black, but I am color blind in my sports preferences.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Stay classy, Boston!
  • rvapetervapete Posts: 488
    despicable...

but

Can't let this behavior diminish/tarnish our big win or Joel's massive goal, best just to ignore bigotry
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Ridiculous.

Totally unrelated: Let me say that Wayne Simmonds is absolutely one of my favorite Flyers. His style of play has many of us likening him to being a "true" "prototypical" Flyer in the ilk of Rick Tocchet. I'm pretty sure he is a big fan favorite. He happens to be black, but I am color blind in my sports preferences.
    There was that incident up in Canada this preseason with the banana thrown on the ice.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    that is sad.
    and it's such a horrible part of sports nowadays...Italians are especially guilty of this. there was a guy in our local hockey league, pretty much the only black person playing, and people would make ape-sounds everytime he was on the ice. and people are attacking soccer players cause they were born in a different country, even when they're wearing the national team's jerseys.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Ridiculous.

There was that incident up in Canada this preseason with the banana thrown on the ice.

hey Dr, is that Jobu from the movie major league?
    Kathi wrote:
    that is sad.
    and it's such a horrible part of sports nowadays...Italians are especially guilty of this. there was a guy in our local hockey league, pretty much the only black person playing, and people would make ape-sounds everytime he was on the ice. and people are attacking soccer players cause they were born in a different country, even when they're wearing the national team's jerseys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fp67geuhJM
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    DS1119 wrote:
    As much as I dislike Boston teams I would take this with a grain of salt and just chalk it up to assholes being assholes. There are ignorant fans in every market who take opportunites like this to spew their bullshit. I've met a lot of cool people from Boston (even though your sports teams suck) and these idiots in the link are in my experience are a small minority. I've probably attended 500 or so sporting events in NYC and every once in a while you hear or see something and it's just like "really"? :fp:
    Agreed, and I hate the Bruins more than you ;)
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    davidtrios wrote:
    Ridiculous.

hey Dr, is that Jobu from the movie major league?
    No, that's my picture. Jobu looks a little bit like me.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    hey Dr, is that Jobu from the movie major league?[/quote]
    No, that's my picture. Jobu looks a little bit like me.[/quote]

:lol:
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    davidtrios wrote:
    Kathi wrote:
    that is sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fp67geuhJM

:lol::lol:
  • tcab2880tcab2880 Posts: 21
    I'm a Bruins fan! I'm Not racist!

That being said, I hope the loss and this incident makes a lot of fairweather fans GO AWAY so I can actually go enjoy a game again
    Ted

July 2, 2003- Mansfield
    May 13, 2006- Hartford
    June 27, 2008- Hartford
    May 15, 2010- Hartford
    October 25, 2013 - Hartford
  • Bruins fan here...completely ashamed and embarrased by the reaction of these so-called fans. Please don't judge all of us based on this garbage. They do not speak for the majority of us.

Good luck to the Caps and their fans. You more than earned that series.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Ridiculous.

In the Pens series on twitter Simmonds was targeted again

Really pathetic and gutless scum hiding behind a twitter account
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Bruins fan here...completely ashamed and embarrased by the reaction of these so-called fans. Please don't judge all of us based on this garbage. They do not speak for the majority of us.

Good luck to the Caps and their fans. You more than earned that series.

Well said. It's unfortunate that this still exists but this tends to exist in our booing culture. While you can't do anything about it, what I did as a twitter user was click on everyone of those person's profile to report them for spam on those comments.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    I don't think anyone on this forum will judge Boston or their fans from these posts. Straight ignorance.

I will say though fuck Boston sports teams! :lol:
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Sad but true, very unfortunate and being a Boston Bruins fan I'm not surprised. However, do any of you hockey fans think this kind of foolishness is exclusive to the city of Boston?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Sad but true, very unfortunate and being a Boston Bruins fan I'm not surprised. However, do any of you hockey fans think this kind of foolishness is exclusive to the city of Boston?

Peace

No. I know for a fact it's not.
    DS1119 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

No. I know for a fact it's not.

The Capitals did what they were supposed to do and by outplaying the defending champions and sent them home. It just happens a player of African decent that scored the winning goal, I'm sure if it was the other way around the Boston fans would NOT be saying why did that n-word have to score the winning goal.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    That's discusting...and this is 2012 or is this 1812?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,225
    Yeah every City has these kinds of fans totally pathetic ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    of course every city has fans like this, but, as Bill Simmons wrote last week race and Boston is a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY sore subject. My personal take on Boston and their fans (not all are racist) is that they live in this generally socially and politically progressive area which opens them up even more when they do stupid shit. It's more like how dare you claim liberal outlooks on life but act a bunch of fools VERY regularly. On that note, I have the same take with Boston as Philly, don't be racist or beat other people up/puke on them/run on the field and we won't have to refer to the laundry list of past instances where your fans have fucked up. Further, just because other people do it, doesn't mean we should dismiss it as a minority of idiots - those people who were dumb enough to tweet that shit should get called out for it period. Finally, a note about "those stupid bandwagoners" isn't their presence and the money that flows from them to buy the latest shit for your team the very reason your team can afford to get/keep players? I mean isn't that the benefit of being a broadly loved team?
    You true hockey fans out there do remember your hockey history. do some of you remember this player below...

image.axd?picture=2010%2F1%2Fwillie_oree3.jpg

That's Willie O'Ree the first black player to play in the NHL.

Midway through his second minor-league season with the Quebec Aces, O'Ree was called up to the Boston Bruins of the NHL to replace an injured player. O'Ree was 95% blind in his right eye due to being hit there by an errant puck two years earlier,[3] which normally would have precluded him from playing in the NHL. However, O'Ree managed to keep it secret, and made his NHL debut with the Bruins on January 18, 1958, against the Montreal Canadiens, becoming the first black player in league history, appearing in two games that year, and came back in 1961 to play 43 games, playing with smooth Boston centre Don McKenney and winger Jerry Toppazzini. He scored four goals and 10 assists in his NHL career, all in 1961.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_O'Ree

So yes they are a some really stupid upset fans that should know better but don't and they are probably in every hockey town and to single out Boston bruin fans is a bit unfair. I myself have faced somewhat similar ridicule both in Boston and elswhere as a kid playing hockey.

Peace

g under p wrote:
    You true hockey fans out there do remember your hockey history. do some of you remember this player below...

image.axd?picture=2010%2F1%2Fwillie_oree3.jpg

That's Willie O'Ree the first black player to play in the NHL.

Midway through his second minor-league season with the Quebec Aces, O'Ree was called up to the Boston Bruins of the NHL to replace an injured player. O'Ree was 95% blind in his right eye due to being hit there by an errant puck two years earlier,[3] which normally would have precluded him from playing in the NHL. However, O'Ree managed to keep it secret, and made his NHL debut with the Bruins on January 18, 1958, against the Montreal Canadiens, becoming the first black player in league history, appearing in two games that year, and came back in 1961 to play 43 games, playing with smooth Boston centre Don McKenney and winger Jerry Toppazzini. He scored four goals and 10 assists in his NHL career, all in 1961.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_O'Ree

So yes they are a some really stupid upset fans that should know better but don't and they are probably in every hockey town and to single out Boston bruin fans is a bit unfair. I myself have faced somewhat similar ridicule both in Boston and elswhere as a kid playing hockey.

Peace
    see: Boston Bruins thread for earlier brief discussion on this. I point out that most of the tweeters have no idea who Willie O'Ree is, or even Reggie Lewis for that matter. Damn we are old haha.
    I played youth hockey with an African-Amercian for five consecutive years. The shit he heard as a kid said to him on the ice...not sure how he didn't lose his head. I do remember one year during tryouts though a "teammate" said something to him. It got settled quite quick in the lockerroom between the two. Let's just say the offending party left missing a tooth and eventually didn't make the team. 8-)
    DS1119 wrote:
    I played youth hockey with an African-Amercian for five consecutive years. The shit he heard as a kid said to him on the ice...not sure how he didn't lose his head. I do remember one year during tryouts though a "teammate" said something to him. It got settled quite quick in the lockerroom between the two. Let's just say the offending party left missing a tooth and eventually didn't make the team. 8-)

Just imagine for a moment him playing in that atmosphere professionally with 95% of your sight gone in one eye playing a hand eye coordination sport like hockey. What he did was truly amazing and the same goes for those who were the first in any sport any color.

I did read some of those hideous responses and also read the retorts calling out those name callers from the city of Boston. We and i say we due to living there once....we do have responsible mature fans along with the few knuckleheads. Would those knuckleheads feel any better or less angry if that winning goal had been scored by a so called *honky*?

Peace

sadly - I think for that group - yes