Options

Vs album for $25.99 real deal??

2»

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,290
    how many pressings were there?

Just the original and then last years reissue? I had no idea that older verion(s) had become rare and hard to find?
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    Zod wrote:
    how many pressings were there?

Just the original and then last years reissue? I had no idea that older verion(s) had become rare and hard to find?

Original pressing (for details and photos look through this thread)

Reissue
    1) Super Deluxe Box Set (Includes records of Versus and Vitalogy, the concert vinyl and CD, as well as a link to download missing tracks off CD...I think. It's been a while since I've looked in the box.)
    2) Versus re-issue (has sticker on shrink wrap announcing "REISSUE." It's hard to miss the sticker.)

The second one appears to be a stand-alone and does NOT include the Vitalogy re-issue.

The Vitalogy re-issue is two records, whereas the original Vitalogy was a single disc.

http://www.pjcollectors.com/subcategory.asp?id=2
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    I was just wondering what it was that made the non re-issue version worth so much. I didn't recall them being super rare (but that was probably when I actively sought them out in the late 90s).

I thought maybe there was some super rare original issue from 93, and then a 2nd pressing had come out or something (not the re-issue).

For some reason I thought Ten/VS/Vitalogy original versions weren't that rare. I guess they've become rare with time.....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,631
    edited April 2012
    Zod wrote:
    I was just wondering what it was that made the non re-issue version worth so much. I didn't recall them being super rare (but that was probably when I actively sought them out in the late 90s).

I thought maybe there was some super rare original issue from 93, and then a 2nd pressing had come out or something (not the re-issue).

For some reason I thought Ten/VS/Vitalogy original versions weren't that rare. I guess they've become rare with time.....
    All PJ first pressings are valuable. Because no one wants to give them up, they are hard to find, and the desire for them is what makes them expensive. People sell things for what people are willing to pay, and people who collect vinyl prefer first pressings just because it's the fact that they are original that makes them desirable. Of course, there are plenty of first pressings that are in terrible condition. Those aren't worth much at all. Collectors, though, want sealed or mint condition if they can get it, and there are very, very few of those around - of any pressing - since most people buy albums, open them, and play the fuck out of them. Especially PJ albums. Collectors don't want those. It's basically like the valuable Star Wars toy in the unopened packaging vs the played with opened toy, which is worthless.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    edited April 2012
    It was NOT an orange sticker in the middle of the vinyl.

that's the label
    The lady said it was an original, but I'm not taking her word entirely 100% seriously.

well done, the only woman's words I take soriously is my mom...

Black sticker, eh?

Anyone have a photo?

exactly like this pic, but with black background and orange font, it might be a brazilian edition as well, I didn't konw that until now...

http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1368
    Post edited by javis el errante on
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    MedozK wrote:
    check the label, if it's black, it's first pressing, if it's orange, it's reissue, if the vinyl comes inside a white jacket, it's the reissue... some first pressings have a black sticker stating Pearl Jam ONLY, and some Pearl Jam is printed on orange...
    Original
    photo1-1.jpg

Reissue
    photo2-2.jpg

Pretty easy to tell apart

I forgot it was hafl black half beige, to me it was all black... everyone got it in the end, certainly the OP...

• Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    I also didn't know these hadn't gotten so expensive. The funny thing is I had no idea that my copy had a label that looked like that. I've never played it, but maybe I hould check it when I get home just to see if it is liek that. It's definitely an early pressing so I suppose it must look like that.

Now the question is, should I play my original pressing or the reissue? No point playing both...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,631
    edited April 2012
    bazzer wrote:
    I also didn't know these hadn't gotten so expensive. The funny thing is I had no idea that my copy had a label that looked like that. I've never played it, but maybe I hould check it when I get home just to see if it is liek that. It's definitely an early pressing so I suppose it must look like that.

Now the question is, should I play my original pressing or the reissue? No point playing both...
    Play the reissue for sure, since the original will be way more valuable in time if you don't play it (hopefully it's still sealed, too). I got the sealed original Vitalogy pressing and tore it open as soon as I got it. But then 3 weeks later I got that $36 deal for PJ's first 3 albums, rereleased, and I'm kind of kicking myself for opening the original, since I'd be just as happy to listen to the rerelease and keep a sealed first pressing as a collectable and a potential resell years down the road, even though I've never sold a record in my life (I would never ever, however, not listen to a first pressing if I didn't have a rerelease. It's stupid to collect albums that you don't even listen to! It's just that in this case I just happened to end up with a second Vitalogy... actually I just happened to end up with the original one too. It was part of a package deal on EBay; I only bought it because it came with a sealed No Code, which is what I really wanted because there is no reissue yet!).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    landolando Posts: 661
    I hot mine for $40, sealed at a record store that just opened. I think they caught on after because they started selling the reissues for $35
    Edmonton 93, Vancouver 05, Vancouver 09, Edmonton 11, Vancouver 11
  • Options
    Zod wrote:

There *IS* an original (true "original") that misspell's Dave A's last name. I think this might just be CDs and/or tapes though. My newly-bought vinyl has the correct spelling, as the mishap was eventually corrected.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    It was NOT an orange sticker in the middle of the vinyl.

that's the label
    The lady said it was an original, but I'm not taking her word entirely 100% seriously.

well done, the only woman's words I take soriously is my mom...

Black sticker, eh?

Anyone have a photo?

exactly like this pic, but with black background and orange font, it might be a brazilian edition as well, I didn't konw that until now...

http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1368

I was 99.99% sure that I had an original. The checkout lady said it was an original, but part of me thought a "what does she know? She's just paid to work here" type of thought.

Yeah, I don't have the "PEARL JAM" in top right. I saw that picture after I made the post and realized that was the sticker mentioned.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    bazzer wrote:

Play the reissue for sure, since the original will be way more valuable in time if you don't play it (hopefully it's still sealed, too). I got the sealed original Vitalogy pressing and tore it open as soon as I got it. But then 3 weeks later I got that $36 deal for PJ's first 3 albums, rereleased, and I'm kind of kicking myself for opening the original, since I'd be just as happy to listen to the rerelease and keep a sealed first pressing as a collectable and a potential resell years down the road, even though I've never sold a record in my life (I would never ever, however, not listen to a first pressing if I didn't have a rerelease. It's stupid to collect albums that you don't even listen to! It's just that in this case I just happened to end up with a second Vitalogy... actually I just happened to end up with the original one too. It was part of a package deal on EBay; I only bought it because it came with a sealed No Code, which is what I really wanted because there is no reissue yet!).

I agree with the guy who said play the re-issue. AFAIK, the sound quality is very, very similar. I think it's comparable to when you watch a DVD of a really old show and it mentions that it went through a "digital restoration process" or something along that mojo.

Play the reissue. Keep the original in as great condition as possible.

If it was a remix, it'd be a different story, but it's not.
  • Options
    lando wrote:
    I hot mine for $40, sealed at a record store that just opened. I think they caught on after because they started selling the reissues for $35

THAT...is lucky.

The funny thing is that I have an Osborne "Rockin' Records" from 1998 that quotes the record at something like $5-$20 (I forget the exact value.)

It also lists the 1993 "Angel" single as something similar to that.

Obviously, prices have gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up since then. :D

(Plus, some people say that Osborne doesn't know what he's talking about.)
  • Options
    I agree with the guy who said play the re-issue. AFAIK, the sound quality is very, very similar. I think it's comparable to when you watch a DVD of a really old show and it mentions that it went through a "digital restoration process" or something along that mojo.

I got the originals in 98, I spun those a lot, but not even on a weekly basis, then I got the box set, first Ten, obviously, and then Vs./Vitalogy, but I never spun those, not even played the CD's, it's a whole enterprise picking up the box, retrieve the items, be careful not to ruin anything, and for that reason I bought from popmarket ten vs and vitalogy, both CD's and vinyls, I spun the vinyls, but I play the CD more... vinyl should be kept in peak condition, so I treat them gently... I only spun PJ20 vinyl twice and play the CD more often...

• Options

I got the originals in 98, I spun those a lot, but not even on a weekly basis, then I got the box set, first Ten, obviously, and then Vs./Vitalogy, but I never spun those, not even played the CD's, it's a whole enterprise picking up the box, retrieve the items, be careful not to ruin anything, and for that reason I bought from popmarket ten vs and vitalogy, both CD's and vinyls, I spun the vinyls, but I play the CD more... vinyl should be kept in peak condition, so I treat them gently... I only spun PJ20 vinyl twice and play the CD more often...

Oh, I agree. Opening the box set is a pain in the ass, especially for people like me who still have them in the cardboard mailing box, for additional security.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    All PJ first pressings are valuable. Because no one wants to give them up, they are hard to find, and the desire for them is what makes them expensive. People sell things for what people are willing to pay, and people who collect vinyl prefer first pressings just because it's the fact that they are original that makes them desirable. Of course, there are plenty of first pressings that are in terrible condition. Those aren't worth much at all. Collectors, though, want sealed or mint condition if they can get it, and there are very, very few of those around - of any pressing - since most people buy albums, open them, and play the fuck out of them. Especially PJ albums. Collectors don't want those. It's basically like the valuable Star Wars toy in the unopened packaging vs the played with opened toy, which is worthless.

I get all that. I was just under the belief that the first 3 albums had an abundant supply of vinyl. Mostly because the band was uber popular at the time. Vitalogy had that 2 week before the cd came out release thing. I was always under the impression that the amount of vinyl copies of ten/vs/vitalogy far outweighs the copies of albums that came out after no code.

I didn't occur to me though that sealed ones would be very rare now. It's almost been 20 years since those albums came out, so finding them in shrink wrap would be tough. Good point there. I would guess an opened copy of binaural would go for alot more than an opened copy of vs. Just because alot more vinyl copies of vs. were made?
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    bazzer wrote:

I don't really care for resale value. It's not sealed, because even if I wasn't going to play it I wanted to be able to look at it! ;) But if the sound quality is not much different then I probably will just play the reissues.
  • Options
    jskjsk Posts: 53
    I scored an original pressing of Vs. at the local goodwill this week. Unfortunately they didn't price it at the usual 2-4 bucks but I still got it for $25. Strange to see something like that at the Goodwill!
    If I had known then, what I know now.
  • Options
    AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    jsk wrote:
    I scored an original pressing of Vs. at the local goodwill this week. Unfortunately they didn't price it at the usual 2-4 bucks but I still got it for $25. Strange to see something like that at the Goodwill!

Sweet!
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012