Amp, Pedal, bass, or new guitar?

pearljamsampearljamsam Posts: 74
edited May 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok here is the situation that I am in. I've spent about a year learning to play guitar. Im getting better, but far from anything resembling talent. I'm currently playing a cheap squier, on an even cheaper epiphone amp (at least 10 yrs old, came with a package). Either way i'm getting a little board playing the same sounding stuff over and over.
The wife gave me the go ahead to spend, less than $200 on something to help with my hobby. So here are the options im looking at.
1. New Amp
2. Effects Pedal
3. Change it up and buy a cheap bass
4. Get a little better guitar
So just looking for some suggestions on which route you would go. Positives, negatives of any of the options. Remember I need to stay in a certain price range. Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    I'd keep what you already have and buy a starter acoustic. $200 is not going to get you very far with anything else except maybe a pedal. Just my $0.02
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • i would get a pedal. you can get some cool multieffects units for around $200, or you can get maybe 2 standalone pedals. i would get a tuner and then a good distortion pedal if it were me. i could never stay in tune so the tuner is the most important pedal that i have. if you get a bass you will have to get a bass amp and that is another expense for you.

i recommend going to the guitar store and just seeing what they have available. play around with some things and whatever you like, buy that.

just my .02.

good luck!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • pearljamsampearljamsam Posts: 74
    Thanks for your thoughts. What about a modeling amp? Kill to birds with one stone. Something like this?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DA5/
  • You need better tone somehow.

I'd do something like this:

$120 Vox Pathfinder 15w w\tremolo & reverb

and I would get a wah or a phaser.
    You can get a good ole Dunlop Crybaby for $69.

Or for phaser, a Phase 90 for $80 or Smallstone for same.

That makes $200. WITH free shipping.
    ;)

Imho that would get you well on your way to "real tone"
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Another $10 bones on top of either those other pedals would get you a Rat ProCo2

RatProCo
    through a fender on a pathfinder amp here
    at various settings through an Orange Tiny Terror

I'd prolly take that over a Tubescreamer, though never actually owned one (a rat, i gotz a screamer). :(

EDIT:this motherfucker is showing up about $5 cheaper than the regular rat on Musiciansfriend... may actually have to go buy this bitch! [DirtyRat]

dang
  • dunno how loud or quiet you are trying to play but
    Bugera V5 is just under $200, is 5watts TUBE, and attenuates down to 1watt and .1watt (not sure why you'd wanna go less than 1 watt, having a 1watt amp myself, lol) .... it also has digital reverb.

Looks pretty dang swanky.

Def better than an old epi solid state.

I'd only caution that it gets really annoying (imho) to have to retube amps.
    $$$
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    If you're just looking for some variety in sound I would recommend a good multi effect pedal rather than buying another relatively cheap amp that you'll just end up trading out sooner or later anyway.

I'd recommend the Boss ME-50. I've been using one for a long time and have very few complaints.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • If you're just looking for some variety in sound I would recommend a good multi effect pedal rather than buying another relatively cheap amp that you'll just end up trading out sooner or later anyway.

I'd recommend the Boss ME-50. I've been using one for a long time and have very few complaints.

Yeah, i've had a few buddies with that pedal board,
    it IS pretty dang bad ass.

I guess my only counter argument would be that good pedal effects (digital or analog) will still sound only "so-so" through a shit amp.

But he prolly is better off with a good multiFX board than with a one-trick pony pedal.