Seriously Paypal?!?

Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Maybe I'm being over the top but Paypal is going too far. First- I do everything right and have good info, very good transactions and yet they hold money owed to me for at least three weeks.

Now I get an email stating they want a copy of my DL, My SSN and a Bill to prove my address. SInce they already have my bank info wouldn't they know virtually everything about me?

Is this gov't mandated? Either way is the price of secure transactions too high?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Are you sure that's PayPal asking for that info and not a scammer? That doesn't sound like information PayPal needs to verify your account. I would login to your PayPal account and call them directly to confirm if that's the information they need.

That doesn't sound legit.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    it's a scam
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    A private business will only ask for your SSN if you directly pursue something that requires an SSN (which is only when you have an account that has reportable IRS information).
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Do NOT send that info! Login to PayPal or call someone. Somethings not right that you received an email looking for that info.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,697
    I totally agree with the others that say it's a scam. I've received similar emails.

Same with Craigslist- just this week in fact- something I hadn't seen in the past- where people claining to want to buy an item I listed on Craigs list have asked for my Paypal info.

Lots of scamming going on out there- and they're getting clever but one thing I've been told- NEVER give your private info out when asked by email. Most site like Paypal and Craigslist have scam alert tabs and places to report suspected scams. Probably not a bad idea to report scams- I'm guessing it helps companies track them down and stop them.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Sounds like a scam, however, Paypal has started issuing 1099s once you surpass a certain amount of withdrawls.

Several tax forms now have a line to fill-in the amount of income you received from 3rd party payers such as paypal.
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    No- it's legit. Logged on to Paypal and all three isues needed resolution. My Paypal acitvity was aound $150. Doesn't seem like that should require a full inquest.
  • raystreyraystrey Posts: 171
    legit, my account was placen on limitation for no reason. 180 day hold just becasue they saw that all of a sudden I had a lot of activity when after 4 years there was barely any. sent them bank accounts, copy of credit card on file, etc,etc. their resolution center still kept limitation on hold.

strated to look online for similar cases found it is common and since it is stated in agreement when you sign up not much I can do but wait.

part that pissed me of is I now have around $700 dollars on hold because of their bullshit.
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    I understand they have to hold it for security I guess but I'd like to know how thier books look because of all that held money. And are they making interest on that money while they hold it? They hold $100 for three months and they may make $1 off of it but multipy that buy the millions of transactions they do and it would add up.

I'm calling BS on Paypal.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Isn't there a customer service/resolutions line you can call and actually TALK to someone about this?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless