To Suit up or Not to Suit up...

Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
OK Fellow 10c'rs I need some advice...

I have the Interview of a lifetime (well for me anyway) tomorrow. Times have changed since
I first started interviewing. My last interview I didn't wear a suit, just dressed business casual and it went very well they checked all my references and actually still waiting to hear.

but this one is MAJOR and I really want this job (depending on the salary) SO

There is the question Suit and tie or Suit and no tie? or no suit at all just business casual. Would LOVE to hear from some HR people if there out there.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice!! :)
"...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,891
    while I suppose it is possible to overdress for a job, its a fact you can underdress.

Is the job the type of place the a suit is the norm?

Either way, what is the image you want to present? What does your gut tell you?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Unless the interview is at a nudist colony then I suggest you dress in a suit to make an impression.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Is there a way to ask the HR recruiter? Or whoever your contact is there. Not a bad idea to call them today just to confirm the time and location and ask about dress. I don't think that would be an unreasonable thing to ask.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    interview = suit

unless it's a more blue collar job....anything in an office or job that is a professional level job, go with the suit.

imo
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LG_PJLG_PJ Posts: 53
    as barney (himym) would say Suit Up
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Unless the interview is at a nudist colony then I suggest you dress in a suit to make an impression.
    Agreed.

Better to look professional and show you take the shit seriously.

From experience, it's always better to err on that side.
  • Already trying to cut corners and you haven't even started the job? ;) Listen to 81.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    I don't know the job and that might affect my recommendation.

In general, it's better to overdress than to underdress.

I'm a real estate agent, that's my rule of thumb when meeting new clients.

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    What is the industry?

A suit won't hurt, if you want to bring it down a notch you can mix a sport coat, slacks with or without tie.

In IT for many years, I don't wear suits to interviews, usually no jacket either but that is just in IT.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I think Patrick Henry said it best: Suit Up or Die.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    The best advice I ever got was that you not only dress for the job you want but also for jobs you want in the future. so wear a suit.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    What's the benefit of NOT wearing a suit? Seriously, why is this ever even a question?
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • A suit , obviously.
    Do not call HR.
    If you asked for their advice on this one, what would happen when complex problem solving issues came up.
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Out of all the candidates I ever interviewed, I never once said or thought, "That person was way too overdressed. There's no way I can hire someone who dresses that well." I HAVE, however, skipped on people who seemed smart enough for the job because they didn't dress well enough using the logic that if someone doesn't care enough about the job to want to dress up for the interview I probably wouldn't get the greatest effort from that person once they had the job, either. In the most extreme case, someone who had already met with our HR Recruiter and had been told the dress code showed up in 3/4-length sleeves with her nose ring in (said she needed someone to help remove it because she couldn't get it herself) AND brought her mother along (who thought that she could sit in on the interview but was apparently unable or unwilling to help her daughter remove her nose ring). The shirt and the ring were both dress code violations. Mommy didn't help matters, either--for a variety of reasons. :lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Suit up.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    far better to be in the suit and not need it
    than to need it and not be in it
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,823
    no brainer
    interview =CLEAN PRESSED suit
    Shine those shoes and get your shirt pressed too!
    Dont wear a tie with a pizza grease stain :lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    howtodress.jpg
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    edited April 2012
    OK...

The job is in the Administration office of Gillette Stadium. I would be working in the HR Dept processing the Payroll for the company.

And to SVRDhand13 and EdsonNascimento not trying to cut corners and or question just trying to get a better understanding of today's interviewing.

Thanks everyone...I appreciate all the feedback!! Clearly I will be wearing a suit and tie with no pizza grease stain
    shirt and suit neatly pressed and shoes freshly shined.

Wish me luck!! :thumbup:
    Post edited by Green Circle on
    OK...

The job is in the Administration office of Gillette Stadium. I would be working in the HR Dept processing the Payroll for the company.

And to SVRDhand13 and EdsonNascimento not trying to cut corners and or question just trying to get a better understanding of today's interviewing.

defiantly a suit. no question.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    OK...

sounds like a suit is appropriate for the interview If hired , is there a way you can stall Brady's check for a few weeks? :mrgreen:

good luck.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    81 wrote:
    OK...

defiantly a suit. no question.

got it!

You quit smoking? ;)
    shower and shave too.

oh. and clean underwear. Definately wear clean underwear.

mickeyrat wrote:
    shower and shave too.

gonna have to do some laundry then... :roll: kidding...sort of...

Boxers? Briefs? Boxer Briefs? trunks?
    mickeyrat wrote:
    shower and shave too.

gonna have to do some laundry then... :roll: kidding...sort of...

Boxers? Briefs? Boxer Briefs? trunks?

thong
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    OK...

Thanks everyone...I appreciate all the feedback!! Clearly I will be wearing a suit and tie with no pizza grease stain
    shirt and suit neatly pressed and shoes freshly shined.

Wish me luck!! :thumbup:

The man responsible for paying Tom Brady? Feel free to fudge that.

Somewhat relevant story. I probably shouldn't say this but when I worked for the Sixers I had a buddy who worked in HR and dealt with the players salaries. At the time Andre Iguodala was making something like $50 grand every two weeks and the dude would call or have someone in his family call on a daily basis for a few weeks straight because his Comcast discount wasn't set up.
    are remember, always bring a few non job topics to talk about. i always like to talk about the prior years superbowl.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    81 wrote:
    are remember, always bring a few non job topics to talk about. i always like to talk about the prior years superbowl.

:lol::lol:
    81 wrote:
    or your views on cheating in sports and how the cheaters ruin the purity of honest clean competition for young people.

• Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Don't mention your previous job working for the London Sillynannies.