San Francisco - My All Emcompassing Trip

Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Posts: 952
edited September 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi All,

I will be moving to the lovely city of San Francisco at the beginning of August. I will be studying as an exchange student at SFSU.

I have some questions and would love your advice.

I am happy to have advice from people who live in/or have lived in San Francisco, as well as more broadly, California and the rest of the US.

I will need a bicycle when I arrive in the San Francisco:
Where can I get the cheapest mountain bike/hybrid from? Needs to be cheap :)

I will need to find permanent accommodation:
What is the best place to live,that is close to SFSU and has good accessibility to the rest of SF?
(I only want biking distance to be about 30minutes.)

I will post any other questions I can think of later :)

Excited and a little scared.

New questions:

Does anyone have suggestion on short term accommodation for when I first arrive in SF?
(Happy to sleep on someones couch or their spare bedroom, if you are offering :) )

What are some things that I cannot miss while in San Fran/California/USA?
(I rock climb and like trekking/hiking, so love a good adventure.)
Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i always get my bikes off the street. sometimes i have to cut a cable to get them, but you know. :lol:

cheap....goodwill, salvation army, kmart, walmart, used bike store for something a litte better quality.

have fun riding the hills out there. :lol:

enjoy your adventure.

RYEzupSF is the resident san fran expert.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i hope you like riding hills ... :lol:
  • jammergirljammergirl Posts: 599
    Welcome! I don't live in SF proper, but there are some awesome helpful people on here who will give you advice on your questions.

You will love California, I guarantee it!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Damn hippies.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,691
    Welcome to San Francisco! I've lived in or near the City much of my life and went to SFSU for about three years (but graduated in Chico). It's such a great place- that's what we call it, just "The City"- never "Frisco"! Say that word and you'll get funny looks from long-time locals. These days I live about three hours from the City but still go there whenever possible. Public transportation is good in this compact city so getting around is not a big problem. Also, SFSU is located in a relatively flat area in the south west corner of the city so a bike is a good idea. Goodwill or other thrift shops as mentioned is a good idea or check campus ad boards- there should be plenty of opportunity to pick up a used bike in that part of town.

Rents in the city are quite high so you might consider shared housing- renting a room rather than an apartment.

You'll love San Francisco!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thanks Everyone!

I will add these quetions to my original post above as well.

Does anyone have suggestiond on short term accommodation for when I first arrive in SF?
    (Happy to sleep on someones couch or their spare bedroom, if you are offering :) )

Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Noe Valley is a lesser known district in the city well worth checking out- especially 24th Street. Moma, the de Young and Legion of Honor are all excellent art museums. Golden Gate Park and it's garden including Japanese Tea Garden are wonderful.

Anywhere along the Sonoma Coast is beautiful.

Point Reyes National Seashore has excellent hiking trail and grea ocean views.

Maybe catch a show down in Mountain View at Shoreline Amphitheater (where Neil Young holds the annual Bridge Concerts).

Muir Woods and Mt. Tamalpais, and Golden Gate National Recreation Area are all just across the beatuiful Golden Gate bridge and offer great trails and scenery- best in spring and fall.

Yosemite amazing of course, but off season is best if you want anything other than huge crowds.

You'll never be bored- have a great time!

Oh, and City Lights Bookstore!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Welcome to The City!! You will love it! If you are going to State and want to ride your bike to and from then your best bets for housing will be right by campus, Parkside, Sunset, West Portal and the neighborhoods in between. Are you looking to rent a room, or your own apartment? What is your price range?

To answer you bike question- craigslist and garage sales.

It can be tough moving to the city and finding a place. I definitely recommend doing some research, contacting potential roommates and landlords before coming out. If you let me know what you are looking for I am happy to help. I know a number of the State students in my hood, and can ask around about rooms and apartments for the fall.

Please feel free to PM me any questions, or for advice, recommendations etc. This is a great city, full of tons of fun stuff, great shows, natural beauty and great people. It will be fun to welcome you here! When do you get here in August? I hope its in time for the Outside Lands Festival. If possible, you should definitely work that into your budget. 8-)
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • RYEzupSF wrote:
    Welcome to The City!! You will love it! If you are going to State and want to ride your bike to and from then your best bets for housing will be right by campus, Parkside, Sunset, West Portal and the neighborhoods in between. Are you looking to rent a room, or your own apartment? What is your price range?

It can be tough moving to the city and finding a place. I definitely recommend doing some research, contacting potential roommates and landlords before coming out. If you let me know what you are looking for I am happy to help. I know a number of the State students in my hood, and can ask around about rooms and apartments for the fall.

Please feel free to PM me any questions, or for advice, recommendations etc. This is a great city, full of tons of fun stuff, great shows, natural beauty and great people. It will be fun to welcome you here! When do you get here in August? I hope its in time for the Outside Lands Festival. If possible, you should definitely work that into your budget. 8-)

Yay! Lots of information.

My budget is: $500 - $1000 per month for accommodation.
    I would like to get a furnished room in a share house.
    The cheaper the better, but not if it is a complete dump! :P
    (I don't want to share my bedroom, so private room in a share house.)

I would want a room with a desk, chair, bed (can handle a single, but would prefer a double), storage for clothes. Close to a cheap grocery store, nice food (not too expensive), good coffee, close to public transport.

I would really appreciate, if you could ask around for me.

Some information about me:
    I am a 26 year old, female from Brisbane, Australia.
    I have lived out of home lots.
    I will be able to pay rent and all my bills on time, with no problems.
    (Even though I will not be working while I am there.)
    I rock climb, play soccer, like hiking, live music, art galleries, hanging out in the sun/at the park with friends, slack lining. Etc etc.
    I study chemistry.

Thanks for your help!

Edit:
    P.S. Not sure when I will arrive, hoping the 1st of August. Depending on my Visa stuff.
    I am hoping to get to the festival, I already had my eye on it. :)
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
    I rock climb, play soccer, like hiking, live music, art galleries, hanging out in the sun/at the park with friends, slack lining. Etc etc.
    I study chemistry.

Thanks for your help!

Edit:
    P.S. Not sure when I will arrive, hoping the 1st of August. Depending on my Visa stuff.

Pic. :corn:
  • DS1119 wrote:
    I study chemistry.

Thanks for your help!

Edit:

Pic. :corn:

:o:)
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
    climber eh?

best to hook up with a local group ... definitely go to yosemite ... fall is the best time ... hit camp 4 as there always be a slack line up there ... you can find people to boulder there - although i'm not sure how open that community is ...

lots of good day hikes in around the bay area ... point reyes, big sur, etc ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    climber eh?

best to hook up with a local group ... definitely go to yosemite ... fall is the best time ... hit camp 4 as there always be a slack line up there ... you can find people to boulder there - although i'm not sure how open that community is ...

lots of good day hikes in around the bay area ... point reyes, big sur, etc ...

Thanks. Are you a climber?
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Still waiting for the pic. :corn:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Still waiting for the pic. :corn:

Yeah!

Hey, pass the popcorn, please. :lol:

• 260721_841678710_115438092_n.jpg

I am the brunette.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
    260721_841678710_115438092_n.jpg

I am the brunette.

I'm pretty sure DS1119 is going to sorry he turned in so soon. DS, WAKE UP! :lol:

I am the brunette.

So I hear you like rock climbing. My favorite. :corn:
  • DS1119 wrote:

I am the brunette.

What is your best on site?
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am the brunette.

i'm the pinky :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:

I am the brunette.

What is your best on site?

Spiders Web at Keene Valley. 16:28.
    i smell fraudulence.....

or maybei t's just my ass
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119 wrote:

I believe you. :lol:
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
    DS1119 wrote:

I believe you. :lol:

At least someone does.
  • Are there any actual rock climbers on the boards?
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Are there any actual rock climbers on the boards?

Right here!

raising-hand-S.jpg
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    RYEzupSF wrote:

Yay! Lots of information.

My budget is: $500 - $1000 per month for accommodation.
    I would like to get a furnished room in a share house.
    The cheaper the better, but not if it is a complete dump! :P
    (I don't want to share my bedroom, so private room in a share house.)

I would want a room with a desk, chair, bed (can handle a single, but would prefer a double), storage for clothes. Close to a cheap grocery store, nice food (not too expensive), good coffee, close to public transport.

I would really appreciate, if you could ask around for me.

I study chemistry.

Thanks for your help!

Edit:

You are definitely coming to the right city with all of your interests. Considering that and everything you are looking for and proximity to campus and public transportation I think The Sunset would be to your liking. It happens to be my hood too. With that budget you will have no problem finding a shared place- although not sure about the furnished part. You can easily and cheaply find what you need, maybe even free. Actually, I think I could probably hook you up with most of what you will need. Oh, and there is lots of surf candy. :mrgreen:
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • BronyBrony Posts: 631
    i am heading there for a few days in june. anyone know of any PJ related places of interest in or around the city? besides where they play Bridge Shows?
  • BUMP

Because I like my own post and because no one answered Brony.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Brony wrote:
    i am heading there for a few days in june. anyone know of any PJ related places of interest in or around the city? besides where they play Bridge Shows?

although there are some pictures of ed and pj at the amphitheatre (not sure if they are up all year) - i wouldn't suggest trekking out to mountainview just to check that out ... but that's just me ...

anyhoo - is there a

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_QBOCuDqCqBknZeAnpF1sbiNbw6_I4M3gqGz7w9Ont-5zm978

brewing?

:corn: :corn: