Options

pearel jAM ST. PAUL

time to dreamtime to dream Posts: 26
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Wow, what a great show, too bad Petty had to be there. I reallly wanted to hear more of the new songs, but I enjoyed every second of the first night. I can't wait til tomorrow!
we can dream, and we can make dreams come true for others
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    too bad their set change took almost an hour. For the last 15 minutes of it they weren't even doing anything...PJ could've gotten in 2-3 more songs.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    for sure, too bad they open again tomorrow.. co headline my ass
    we can dream, and we can make dreams come true for others
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    How was Petty??? Did they each play for the same amount of time?
  • Options
    Mrs.McCMrs.McC Posts: 18
    No. Schedule said PJ 7:30-9:00/TP&HB 9:30-11:00. PJ stuck to the schedule & TP played approx. 2 hours (9:50-11:50 I think). PJ played around 17 songs (no encore) and Petty played about 20 songs with one encore. Eddie came out to close with American Girl. Petty wastes a lot of time between songs with chit chat or making the crowd cheer louder, etc.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Here's my take, from the 14th row center.

PJ rocked the X. Awesome, incredible energy, lively, jumpin.
    No encore.

(Surely they'll come back and do a jam with Petty, right?)

Petty comes out, plays his rock/pop standards, a few long jams in which 1/4 to 1/2 of the crowd sat, and played one encore.

Everyone.... well most of us, waited anxiously for a sign of a second mike... or a Wellstone sticker on a bass... but alas, it would only be Eddie coming out to American Girl... almost more to pay his respects to TP and those of us that waited patiently for more.

Petty's set seemed longer because it was less energetic and longer between songs, not to mention the jams (which IMHO was more like jelly).

SO, tomorrow I think it is official:

a) I want to wear a shirt that says
    on the front: "NOT TO BE PETTY"
    and on the back: "BUT I'M HERE FOR PEARL JAM".

b) I've heard TP plays essentially the same set on his tours. Can't imagine pulling out the same standards again tomorrow night. Anyway, with no promise for a PJ encore or a longer jam with Eddie & Company, my bet is that there is serious risk with a lot of Pearl Jammers leaving after our set... not wanting to hear Petty's same set list.

Not advocating it for others, but I'm seriously thinking about it.

Finally -- thanks to the volunteers at the CCFA fundraiser.... you guys rocked for a great cause. Thanks!
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    cbh1011 wrote:
    SO, tomorrow I think it is official:

a) I want to wear a shirt that says
    on the front: "NOT TO BE PETTY"
    and on the back: "BUT I'M HERE FOR PEARL JAM".

This is hilarious :D
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Galaxie2X4Galaxie2X4 Posts: 151
    Will someone please tell me when the doors opened last night at the Xcel.
    "My Cadillac's sittin in the back, it isn't me, I'm going home in my Galaxy"
    S. Hoon

"My body's nobody's body but mine. You run your own body, let me run mine" Chicago '95

Franken '08
  • Options
    6:30 I believe.
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Anybody got the setlist for boths bands?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    How did the ticket thing work out?I heard they had a fisaco when they went on sale.Where your names on your envelopes?
  • Options
    Did the Petty fans show up for PJ or was the place half empty when Last Exit started? Also did the Petty fans rock out for PJ or sit?
  • Options
    chipboychipboy Posts: 137
    Pearl Jam started precisely at 7:30 so the place was not completely full but it was close. I was in the 28th row and it was funny seeing every other row with their arms raised in a V during Jeremy. The Petty fans around me were older and sang along but didn't really go crazy jumping and pumping their arms in the air or anything. Lot of mellow 45+ pot smokers. Great show by both bands though. I can't wait for tonight although my whole body is sore today.
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    who is pearel jAM?
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    Just A FanJust A Fan Posts: 15
    Pearl Jam was awsome last night in St. Paul, Just wish they could have played longer!!! Lots of energy!!!!
  • Options
    nephraumsnephraums Posts: 1
    I hope they play a longer setlist tonight. Petty got boring towards the end. Feel sorry for all the ten clubs in minnesota who havent travelled and seen a full show this year. I hope PJ do not co-headline again - they dont need to.