Kurt cobain jag,mustang

mattdinglemattdingle Posts: 180
edited April 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anybody have opinion on these guitars.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ive had a mustang. very cool guitars. they have a short scale so if you have large hands its gonna be kinda tough fingering certin chords. but the mustangs always sounded and looked really cool to me, Especially the blue cobain one based on the competition mustang with the baby blue racing stripes. awesome. the jaguar ive never played. but im told there a short scale also. what i would do is go to guitar center and try them, out. that fucking hellhole is at least good for trying shit out.
  • i had a red jag-stang once upon a time. i only held onto it for a couple of years and never really gigged it out. i ended up trading it in towards my matchless clubman. i remember not liking the slider switches on it. especially when using a single channel marshall when i controlled the clean/distortion by changing pickups. this guitar was not ideal for that. i could get a good clean or a good distortion, but not both like i could with a toggle switch with a les paul. that was my only major gripe about it, aside from that fact that i could not keep it in tune, but then again, a small thing like that never kept kurt down lol....looking back i wish i had held onto it.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    The aging on the jaguar just feels wrong somehow. The neck binding is still gleaming white etc. I wanted one really badly (they made lefties!!!!) but when I saw one in person it was a really let down. Expensive for a Mexican made model too but at least it has a case etc.

The concept is great but I wish they'd may gone the "inspired by" route and hadn't imitated the relicing etc. I really like the humbucker setup and the bound neck. I don't think I could ever play one out though. Me especially being left-handed it would just be wrong somehow. I'd feel like a nerd. I took up guitar mostly because of Nirvana but a left-handed guy running around playing a Cobain sig Jag just wouldn't work. But oh how I wanted one when they were released. That guitar is iconic to me.

Now the mustangs they did sort of go the "inspired by" route. It is just a japanese 69 mustang that has been around forever with the humbucker and a TOM bridge. It still has the poor quality electronics that all the 69s have (aside from the JB) (as compared to the better quality on the current 65 reissues). The switches are recessed though so they don't stick up as far. I'm hearing reports the neck is slightly chunkier than other 69s. Kind of expensive. No case or bag ( :nono: ). The humbucker is body mounted whereas Kurts were pickguard mounted. Not a hard fix if so desired.

All that being said though, they released a left-handed competition mustang!!! So Cobain or not, I ordered one in January as soon as I heard it existed. Arrives in a couple of weeks I hear. I love the neck pickup of mustangs with fuzz pedals because it's so low output. Then the high output humbucker in the bridge seems like a perfect complement.

The switching is an issue but that's an easy modification to make on the of switches a 3-way selector. The tuning is a matter of making the bridge a fixed rather than floating mount (which might not be an issue with the TOM bridge) and never using that damn vibrato which doesn't sound good anyway. (The jaguar's vibrato on the other hand, sounds brilliant).

They're both short-scale. Don't bother if you have big hands. Otherwise, string them with 12-52 gauge and have at it.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I loved my mustang (still have it) until the pups just started to suck and sound hella weak. It feels GREAT though...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • They never stay in tune, as is customary with all non-bass Fender instruments. The tone is a bit limited as well, but it's cool for straight-ahead rock or punk. Not the greatest instrument for playing rich, layered chords, but not meant to be, either.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)