Options

Just popped in the Grand Rapids boot ...

slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
for the first time.

I'm exactly halfway through the second song and I've already decided. this might be the best shit I've heard in a long, long time.

something about the energy. you can really hear the crowd. it's hard to describe. but if you have this boot, you know what I'm talkin' 'bout Willis.
everybody wants the most they can possibly get
for the least they could possibly do
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Awesome ... Glad I didn't lead you astray. :)
    This stuff can be fairly subjective, but there's definitely something about this show's energy. It must have been the crowd.
  • Options
    crap ... although I just realized, I was in such a hurry burning this sucker that I somehow dropped Ledbetter right in the middle of the first set (don't ask me how).

That's got to be every PJ fan's worst nightmare ... hearing ed say "One more?" and the first strains of YL playing nine songs into the damn show.
  • Options
    Awesome ... Glad I didn't lead you astray. :)
    This stuff can be fairly subjective, but there's definitely something about this show's energy. It must have been the crowd.

yeah, the crowd is overpowering everybody on Marker. and that's a pretty good sign.

ps -- I also got Camden 2. It's not bad. The version of Parachutes is good-to-great. the beginning, i think the album version is better, then ed seems to find himself and toward the end it gets better than the album version. he does mix-up a lyric, as well, if that bothers you. I'd say buy the boot, if for no other reason than it's only 10 bucks.
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    i bought my copy 30 mins ago yet i cant retrieve the show from my computer.
    your glee mocks me.
    mocks me!!!!

*turns and cries like a little girl*

looks like an awesome show.
  • Options
    your glee mocks me.
    mocks me!!!!

you need to retrieve this thing. now. :)
  • Options
    gordon189gordon189 Houston, TX Posts: 60
    You all talked me into it. Gonna get it right now.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    yeah, the crowd is overpowering everybody on Marker. and that's a pretty good sign.

ps -- I also got Camden 2. It's not bad. The version of Parachutes is good-to-great. the beginning, i think the album version is better, then ed seems to find himself and toward the end it gets better than the album version. he does mix-up a lyric, as well, if that bothers you. I'd say buy the boot, if for no other reason than it's only 10 bucks.

Sweet ... I think I will get Camden 2 next.
    As for Ed, he sang nonsense for the entire second verse of MFC in Cleveland (another good show, by the way). It didn't bug me one bit. :)
    Part of the man's charm ...
  • Options
    Sweet ... I think I will get Camden 2 next.
    As for Ed, he sang nonsense for the entire second verse of MFC in Cleveland (another good show, by the way). It didn't bug me one bit. :)
    Part of the man's charm ...

yeah, it wasn't that bad ... or even noticeable if you weren't paying close attention.

He replaces the "further back and forth" bit near the end with a reprise of "nothing else cuz when we're dead ... "

that's all.
  • Options
    never knew you could actually headbang to Love Boat Captain 'til now ... :)
  • Options
    your glee mocks me.
    mocks me!!!!

Ohh its worth the wait Scottie. That crowd was ON FIRE. I am proud to have been a part of that crowd. Ed was truely blown away.
    He even said just before ledbetter "Grand Rapids...who knew???" lol
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Ohh its worth the wait Scottie. That crowd was ON FIRE. I am proud to have been a part of that crowd. Ed was truely blown away.
    He even said just before ledbetter "Grand Rapids...who knew???" lol

yeah, you guys sing well :)
  • Options
    Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    i think gr is a good show but i would say cleveland is the best show so far of the tour. (i went to both chicago shows btw) just look at the cleveland 2nd encore: Go, Comatose, U, Don't Gimme No Lip, Smile, Why Go, Fuckin' Up, Yellow Ledbetter.... damn!

I think every show kicks ass, but right now I am really digging cleveland.
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Options
    TonyBTonyB Posts: 114
    Do not forget about Chicago night 2. FOOTSTEPS and CROWN of THORNS make disc 2 of Chicago one of the best disc available. Chicago night 2, disc 2!!
  • Options
    Riot_Mac wrote:
    i think gr is a good show but i would say cleveland is the best show so far of the tour. (i went to both chicago shows btw) just look at the cleveland 2nd encore: Go, Comatose, U, Don't Gimme No Lip, Smile, Why Go, Fuckin' Up, Yellow Ledbetter.... damn!

I think every show kicks ass, but right now I am really digging cleveland.

have you seen/heard the encore for this show?

also, it's not totally about the songs played. it's how they are played, and more importantly, the vibe of the crowd and whether it comes across on the boot.

i haven't heard anything like GR in a long, long time.
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Van Andel only holds 12,000, so that defintley helped keep things a bit more intimate.... The crowd on the GR boot, and in person is the most energized I have ever heard at any concert for any band...SlightofJeff, Pop in Baba O'Riley and Ledbetter..You will be amazed at the crowds energy...

Also after Life Wasted, you hear two different people say "That fuckin rocks" followed by "You guys fuckin rock".... Add to that, Parting Ways,Around the Bend, and Hard to Imagine played spot on, and you have the best boot... Anyone that says Boston II was better is just talking shit.

And of course, they played til midnight and almost no-one left early...Packed house applauding the band even after Ledbetter.
  • Options
    Van Andel only holds 12,000, so that defintley helped keep things a bit more intimate.... The crowd on the GR boot, and in person is the most energized I have ever heard at any concert for any band...SlightofJeff, Pop in Baba O'Riley and Ledbetter..You will be amazed at the crowds energy...

Also after Life Wasted, you hear two different people say "That fuckin rocks" followed by "You guys fuckin rock".... Add to that, Parting Ways,Around the Bend, and Hard to Imagine played spot on, and you have the best boot... Anyone that says Boston II was better is just talking shit.

And of course, they played til midnight and almost no-one left early...Packed house applauding the band even after Ledbetter.

maybe they should, ahem, "mix up" the 10C tickets more often :)
  • Options
    maybe they should, ahem, "mix up" the 10C tickets more often :)

That is what I hear...I alwys pass on Ten club tickets because I go with a larger group....but...many people say it had a positive effect. Heres to a 3rd leg and show in Dallas so you can have your own boot/memories.... We all should get a chance to have them.
  • Options
    That is what I hear...I alwys pass on Ten club tickets because I go with a larger group....but...many people say it had a positive effect. Heres to a 3rd leg and show in Dallas so you can have your own boot/memories.... We all should get a chance to have them.

shiiiiit ... I ain't waiting for a dallas show that may or may not happen. I'm going to the two Denver shows and all three in SF next month.

holy crap ... next month. just hit me. can't wait. I think the SF shows may be epic ... three nights in the same city, a 7,000-capacity venue. Imagine the possibilities :)
  • Options
    shiiiiit ... I ain't waiting for a dallas show that may or may not happen. I'm going to the two Denver shows and all three in SF next month.

holy crap ... next month. just hit me. can't wait. I think the SF shows may be epic ... three nights in the same city, a 7,000-capacity venue. Imagine the possibilities :)

Frisco, GeneralAdmission... you will defintley be at the best shows of 2006...and probably the best shows (or least the funnest) since 96.
  • Options
    marakomarako Posts: 25
    Great boot! Sound, set list, crowd participation, super Mike on Alive. I'm hooked.

Only a minnor issue:
    Comatose seems to be defected. After the rif intro goes directly to "..in a vacum" and it's obvious to my ears that is cutted. Anyone noticed that?
  • Options
    I was at Cleveland, while it was a good show it definitly lacks the energy that Grand Rapids has, I can tell by just hearing them both. Kitchener last year had twice the energy as Cleveland but the boot does not do it justice. Cleveland sounds better. So sometimes it's hard to judge by a recording. There is no doubt that Grand Rapids was on fire thou. That should have been the show for Cleveland dammit. It's getting real hard to decide which boots to get,almost all the setlists look good.
    walk the bridges,.......before you burn them down
  • Options
    soozewsoozew Posts: 11
    marako wrote:
    Great boot! Sound, set list, crowd participation, super Mike on Alive. I'm hooked.

Only a minnor issue:
    Comatose seems to be defected. After the rif intro goes directly to "..in a vacum" and it's obvious to my ears that is cutted. Anyone noticed that?

it's not defective...he wasn't singing...he was distraced by stone if i remember correctly. of course, the night is such a blur that ir's hard to keep everything straight. ;)
    Noblesville '00
    East Troy '00
    Chicago '00
    Champaign '03
    Chicago '03
    East Troy '03
    Noblesville '03
    Grand Rapids '06 (2nd row--CENTER! and a tambourine)
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Anyone that says Boston II was better is just talking shit.
    Boston II is the only boot I've purchased so far and I got that because of the first Parachutes (one of my faves) and the reemergence of Leash...plus the great setlist overall. However, I think I may have to pick up GR as well. Sounds amazing!
  • Options
    marako wrote:

Only a minnor issue:

Nope it is not cutted, it sounded that way live, I believe Eddie just forgot to sing in the microphone at first...
  • Options
    qwerty1qwerty1 Posts: 142
    I was at GR and just listened to it on my ipod at work. This bootleg sounds better than the other bootlegs ive heard(Toronto, Albany, Hartford, Chigago), i dont know why, maybee they tweeked things to sound better.
    And re-visiting the show again, I have to agree, it was a great show!! One of the best Ive been to. The band was on, the setlist was killer, and the crowd was great! And it wasnt even a sellout, which was ok cause PJ seem to play better to 5-10K people. They also seem to do better shows on Fridays.
    This sidewalk is for regular walking, not for fancy walking!
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Excellent call here slightofjeff! :)

I just started listening to this for the 1st time myself (finally)!!! Yes, even before I heard it I was convinced the energy here would be off the frickin charts. The "mix-up", the set....so much HOLY SHIT energy in the air. :o I definitely agree that the boot does a fabulous job of capturing this. The actual sound is exceptionally good on this one. There are sooooo many orgasmic screams throughout the songs and the song breaks too. haha. :D LOVE IT! God I so feel the excitement of those in the front rows that never dreamed they'd be there. :o Band and crowd alike are really, really ON FIRE! I also must say for the millionth plus time that THIE FIRST ENCORE IS ONE OF THE MOST DROOL WORTHY I HAVE EVER, EVER SEEN!!!!!!!! :eek:!!!!!!! Damn I can't wait to get to that part of the boot. :o
    Life Wasted just ended now...
    Was that a STONE chant?? :eek: AHHH!
    Damn, now I love this show even more. :D

Aww shit...SEVERED HAND baby......
    \m/

hehe Mel, and I really did say the exact same thing the night I was reading along/freakin the hell out over the set...

"Grand Rapids...who knew???"

EXACTLY!

MAJOR, MAJOR LOVE this show. :)

*goes back and looks at the EPIC OVERLOAD OF BEAUTY ENCORE*

:eek:!!!!!

Anyone that says Boston II was better is just talking shit.

Uh oh though....

Ooops. I guess Ed is a shit talker. :p hehe. ;)

Whatever. So far these are the 2 shows I've drooled the most over. Agree with you slightofjeff, the heavenly SF trilogy is also destined to be EPIC. Not to mention the back to back bliss of THE GORGE. REally...we have so many more EPIC shows to come. :D!!!!! This band is out of control!!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    marako wrote:

Only a minnor issue:

it just sounds to me like ed didn't come in where he was supposed to. wouldn't be the first time :)
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    I was there and it was definately the best show I've seen and that was my 11th show. People have to realise that the band feeds off the crowd. If the crowd is nuts then the band will also be. I was at the 2 previous shows in Chicago and there were twice as many people there then in Grand Rapids. However you wouldn't have known that based on the volume of the crowd. Grand Rapids was so much louder and the band fed off of it. They changed up their setlist accordingly throughout the show. Ten Clubbers need to get louder and more energetic if they want to witness a show like this again.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09