Starbucks to stop using crushed bugs as red dye

Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
SEATTLE -- Starbucks said Thursday it will phase out the use of a red dye made from ground up insects that the company uses to color some of its beverage and food products.
The Seattle-based coffee giant said it will no longer use cochineal extract, which is processed from crushed beetles, to color some of its red-tinted products.
"After a thorough, yet fastidious, evaluation, I am pleased to report that we are reformulating the affected products to assure the highest quality possible," Cliff Burrows, the company's US president, said in a statement posted to the company's blog.
Instead, Starbucks will start using lycopene, a tomato-based extract, to tint offerings that need red coloring, including strawberry banana smoothies and miniature donuts.
"Our intention is to be fully transitioned from existing product inventories to revised food and beverage offerings near the end of June across the US," Burrows said.

Gross
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Time to short sell.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Where the fuck are people supposed to get their protein from now?
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    SEATTLE -- Starbucks said Thursday it will phase out the use of a red dye made from ground up insects that the company uses to color some of its beverage and food products.
    The Seattle-based coffee giant said it will no longer use cochineal extract, which is processed from crushed beetles, to color some of its red-tinted products.
    "After a thorough, yet fastidious, evaluation, I am pleased to report that we are reformulating the affected products to assure the highest quality possible," Cliff Burrows, the company's US president, said in a statement posted to the company's blog.
    Instead, Starbucks will start using lycopene, a tomato-based extract, to tint offerings that need red coloring, including strawberry banana smoothies and miniature donuts.
    "Our intention is to be fully transitioned from existing product inventories to revised food and beverage offerings near the end of June across the US," Burrows said.
    Gross

Gotta love the lexicon of fancy corporate PR words they use!

Why not just say "By the end of June, none of our products will have any of that creepy bug dye we'd been using!"
    DS1119 wrote:
    Where the fuck are people supposed to get their protein from now?

hehe
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    so now i have to add my own crushed bugs?!?!

lame
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    norm wrote:

lame

Just ask them to scoop some out where they keep the food.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    crushed up bugs is in more than Starbucks drinks...

most anything red, pink or purple can be dyed with it...also look for Carmine Red as a coloring agent

(why do you think red Kool Aid was called 'Bug Juice'?)

It does make me wonder though, I used to drink the strawberry frappachinos, they aren't any redder then the strawberry protein shakes I drink every day...I wonder if there are more than just strawberries in their frapps than strawberries, milk and sugar. :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    norm wrote:

lame

Just ask them to scoop some out where they keep the food.

yeah but it's not the same
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Still not going to dunkin donuts
    RKCNDY wrote:

most anything red, pink or purple can be dyed with it...also look for Carmine Red as a coloring agent

It does make me wonder though, I used to drink the strawberry frappachinos, they aren't any redder then the strawberry protein shakes I drink every day...I wonder if there are more than just strawberries in their frapps than strawberries, milk and sugar. :?

Carmine Ragusa was a coloring agent and source of protein for Shirley Feeney :shock:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Carmine Ragusa was a coloring agent and source of protein for Shirley Feeney :shock:

:lol::lol::lol:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

I will never look at Laverne the same again...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

I will never look at Laverne the same again...

Laverne never had many boyfriends on that show...hmmmmm?
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I'm talking about the show in general...though I think her and Squiggy shacked up.

Didn't she have the firefighter boyfriend at one time?

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I'm talking about the show in general...though I think her and Squiggy shacked up.

squiggy was shirley's beau...lenny was laverne's
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Laverne

KBgvtOGwYj_id-hit-it-two-times.jpg
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

squiggy was shirley's beau...lenny was laverne's

I swear Laverne had a boyfriend that died in a fire...it was in the newspaper...or was that when they moved to Cali?

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I swear Laverne had a boyfriend that died in a fire...it was in the newspaper...or was that when they moved to Cali?

yeah she did have a firefighter bf...not sure about him dying...i just remember that squiggy had the hots for shirley and lenny for laverne...really, i don't think they ever had long lasting bf
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

:lol::lol:

i wonder if laverne ever put crushed bugs in her pepsi & milk....
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    So i take you peeps don't like cat poop coffee?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

yeah she did have a firefighter bf...not sure about him dying...i just remember that squiggy had the hots for shirley and lenny for laverne...really, i don't think they ever had long lasting bf

I love these threads....the hard-hitting discussions about 70's tv shows are so much fun! The people on the AMT who aimlessly debate about hardcore political topics should take a lesson from us!
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Which one did the Fonz?
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    DS1119 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Which one did the Fonz?

neither...you're thinking of mrs. cunningham.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    DS1119 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Which one did the Fonz?

Squiggy