Options

The production on Yield

sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
I'm sure it has something to do with the "feel" they were going for on this record but I think production wise, Yield is really outstanding and definitely creative. I think Yield sounds kinda wayward at times but in a welcome way (IDK what the hell that transitional noise between "Brain of J" and "Faithfull" is but it sounds great) I like Jack Irons' influence too like "Red Dot" or that pulsing wooden block sound towards the end of "Low Light" All the details just fit together to make it complete.

It's like they had the songs and then added in extra layers where it was necessary to make it "brighter" or whatever which is quite unconventional for a rock album. Strange high frequency tones are heard in places. There's cinematic noises during Wishlist. Vox on Do The Evolution were allowed to peak to distortion under the intensity of Ed's voice. But all of these quirks make one very fine sounding record. I know Binaural was supposed to be the "experimental" one but I think the risks they took on producing Yield worked better.

And one last point I definitely think the sound corresponds to the cover so image is key..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,212
    I think mutual collaboration was Yield. Binaural was for sure sound. Two different records listened through a stereo or headphones.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    #1 on my list.
  • Options
    The production on low light is SICK!! Very open, warm, ambient sound.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    That is a guitar you hear in the transition you mention. If I suddenly pull the cable out of my guitar when I've got it all jazzed up with effects, it sounds just like that.
    www.cluthelee.com