Options

RIP Dick Clark

2»

Comments

• Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Who's the youngest person you know that goes by Dick? 60? 70? Nobody born after 1960 goes by Dick. Just an antiquated nickname.

RIP Dick -- You will be missed
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    This thread brought back a sweet flood of nostalgia. AB on Saturday mornings with the Barry Manilow theme song, the game shows, him with Ed McMahon on Bloopers.

He always seemed like a real good guy. Someone who made it big with the simplest of ideas, and remained down-to-earth, never too big for his britches.

We should all be so fortunate.

I think he lived a good life. I hope he believed so as well.
  • Options
    PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    Seacrest just became the permanent face of New Years.
  • Options
    USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    ah man this news makes me sad

RIP
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    :(
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    PJ88 wrote:

maybe they can hologram him for new years :think:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Man i didn't realize how many people here love Dick :corn:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,945
    RIP :(
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I'm another one that watched him every Saturday morning. But as one of the resident old timers, I can also remember my big sister watching him in the afternoon after school. :shock:

RIP. You did a lot for rock'n'roll.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    norm wrote:
    it's funny that everyone will remember him for new years eve but i remember him for american bandstand more...saturday mornings weren't complete without ab when i was a kid

I think when folks 40 and over look back, it will be for AB followed by this, but the fact is - he was also responsible for many of the great game shows of our time (not the least of which was Pyramid in which he appeared - that was really my childhood). He produced so much that only now many folks will hear about. He was a true GIANT in the entertainment industry beyond just the music he pulled the strings on for so many years (morphing AB into an annual gala in effect).

hey hey hey!

I remember AB and I'm not 40! (I still have a few years)

RIP Mr. Clark.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,592
    RKCNDY wrote:
    norm wrote:
    it's funny that everyone will remember him for new years eve but i remember him for american bandstand more...saturday mornings weren't complete without ab when i was a kid

I think when folks 40 and over look back, it will be for AB followed by this, but the fact is - he was also responsible for many of the great game shows of our time (not the least of which was Pyramid in which he appeared - that was really my childhood). He produced so much that only now many folks will hear about. He was a true GIANT in the entertainment industry beyond just the music he pulled the strings on for so many years (morphing AB into an annual gala in effect).

hey hey hey!

RIP Mr. Clark.
    LOL! I don't remember AB being on at all, and if it was while I was alive, it wasn't what the cool kids were watching, hahaha. Just hearing people talk about it makes me feel like you're all a million years old, and I'm 36. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    PJ_Soul wrote:

hey hey hey!

RIP Mr. Clark.
    LOL! I don't remember AB being on at all, and if it was while I was alive, it wasn't what the cool kids were watching, hahaha. Just hearing people talk about it makes me feel like you're all a million years old, and I'm 36. ;)[/quote]

if I remember correctly, It was on after Saturday Morning cartoons, on ABC and right before ABC Wide World of Sports, I think 11am....norm? can I get verification?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    correct...ab was on mid morning noon-ish...at least in the late 70's early 80's

looney tunes-american bandstand-soul train
  • Options
    PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    norm wrote:
    PJ88 wrote:

maybe they can hologram him for new years :think:

HA! :lol: They probably will! I just read that they did that for 2Pac so he could sing with Dr. Dre and Snoop.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    norm wrote:
    Aww yeah...those were the Saturday mornings of my childhood. Sitting on the shag carpet in front of the tv with a bowl of cereal.

Remember how on AB, the bands, singers, what have you, would lip-synch to their "hit record"? And how most of those songs had a fade-out at the end? I always found it so strange and amusing how the live artists and bandmembers would have to do a live fake fade-out to match the record...like slowly stop singing and playing.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,426
    hedonist wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Aww yeah...those were the Saturday mornings of my childhood. Sitting on the shag carpet in front of the tv with a bowl of cereal.

Remember how on AB, the bands, singers, what have you, would lip-synch to their "hit record"? And how most of those songs had a fade-out at the end? I always found it so strange and amusing how the live artists and bandmembers would have to do a live fake fade-out to match the record...like slowly stop singing and playing.

yea
    I miss igotid88