Self-Driving Car

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,699
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I saw a silver version of this self-driving Prius in town today. It was parked halfway between two parallel parking spaces. I'm not saying this car is necessarily a bad idea but I couldn't help but wonder- what if those parking space lines were the lines at a busy intersection or a railroad crossing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgQpa1pUUE
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    The car drives itself based on gps, optical sensors, and radar. It probably uses other sensors too.

It's not using the lines to park, It's using every sensor to park and I'm very sure they took everything like that into account.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,699
    FrankieG wrote:
    The car drives itself based on gps, optical sensors, and radar. It probably uses other sensors too.

It's not using the lines to park, It's using every sensor to park and I'm very sure they took everything like that into account.

No doubt, but what concerns me is that there was plenty of room for the car to park properly. Again, what if that line was at a busy intersection?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    A self driving Prius. I think I just stained my shorts! :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'm analog
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:

:lol:

It looks a little like something the Jetson's might drive. 8-)

brianlux wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Thing is I'm in the automotive business and this technology coming to market is not as far away as most people think. :shock:
    DS1119 wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Thing is I'm in the automotive business and this technology coming to market is not as far away as most people think. :shock:

Hmmm... come to think of it, there are mornings when I wouldn't mind having the thing drive itself and me to work... :lol:

• 81 wrote:
    i'm analog
    LOL this ^^^^^^ . I love driving myself.. would be ored shitless if my car did all the driving! HOWEVER.. would there then be a rule against drunk riding!?!?!?!? ( but Officer the CAR was driving not me.)?
    81 wrote:
    i'm analog
    LOL this ^^^^^^ . I love driving myself.. would be ored shitless if my car did all the driving! HOWEVER.. would there then be a rule against drunk riding!?!?!?!? ( but Officer the CAR was driving not me.)?

You may be on to something here. :think:
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i'm analog

You may be on to something here. :think:
    interesting...
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    What about all of those GPS fiascos we've seen of people (OK, not the brightest folks) following the directions right into a lake?

What if that'd happened to the blind dude in the clip while he was mightily enjoying his food behind the wheel? :D

Me, I'd rather have control over my driving than have my car taking the reins.

I trust myself and my own senses / sensors a helluva lot more.
    hedonist wrote:
    What about all of those GPS fiascos we've seen of people (OK, not the brightest folks) following the directions right into a lake?

What if that'd happened to the blind dude in the clip while he was mightily enjoying his food behind the wheel? :D

:o ... :fp:

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    a self driving car? whatever next... vibrating fudds????
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I think it's self parking as opposed to self driving? You can't go faster than, say, 20km/hr for it to park itself very slowly and very badly.

I embrace a good parking challenge, won't let no sensor help me :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!