The great North East (Maine, NH, VT)

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
we are starting to talk summer vacation planning and a road trip to this part of the country seems to be at the top of the list......

soooo....

when is the best time to go?
what are some of the must see attractions?
what is there to do?

you would think we woudl know something if we are talking about going.... :lol: .....all we know is lobster and lighthouses and maple syrup
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Youd be better off with coastal Mass or RI... most of those other states are the middle of nowhere.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    beautiful part of the country. i have never been to maine. i have been to vermont. not sure if i ever been to new hampshire or not. i wanna have a surf & turf lobster and steak dinner some evening out in Maine whilst i scratch and laugh

it is heard said that some killer-diller skunk exists out that-away
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Youd be better off with coastal Mass or RI... most of those other states are the middle of nowhere.
    perfect

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited April 2012
    middlebury, vermont. ottercreek brewery.
    this is a tiny country town if i am not mistaken
    surrounded by hills and trees
    maple syrup from there kicks frickin ass

thank me after your first 6 pack.

:crazy:
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    edited April 2012

i should have put that in there too...thought was to do some sort of lap and hit RI and Mass on the way home.

i'm trying to get all 50 states and this would knock 5 states off the list and put me over 30

i don't mind a littel middle of nowhere. i deal with middle of somewhere every day.
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    chadwick wrote:
    beautiful part of the country. i have never been to maine. i have been to vermont. not sure if i ever been to new hampshire or not. i wanna have a surf & turf lobster and steak dinner some evening out in Maine whilst i scratch and laugh

it is heard said that some killer-diller skunk exists out that-away

i'd rather do turf and turf. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Lake Placid in New York won't disappoint.
    DS1119 wrote:

have they caught the beast?

does look like a nice spot to stop for a night.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Lake Placid, NY
    Saratoga, NY
    Cooperstown, NY
    Lake George, NY

These four I highly recommend if you're going to be this way.

I've never been to Maine. As for RI I've only been to Providence and that's basically Boston lite. New Hampshire and Vermont are cool to drive through but I'm not sure what there is to do. I do know they have some sweet outlets if you or the woman are into shopping. :lol:
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Acadia National Park - Maine
    One of the most beautiful coastal National Parks... and if you are into Lobster, best I ever had... Best camping in the summer too...

The Presidental Range - New Hampshire - The White Mountains - Amazing hiking and camping...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

For me Sedona, AZ and Lake Placid are 1A and 1B. The drive in and out of Lake Placid is some of the coolest scenery you will ever see. I'm a really high strung person and I feel such peace there. Also you aksed about what time to come. My recommendation would be the fall when the leaves are changing.
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I believe we drove up WhiteFace Mountain there and it was such a clear day we could see Montreal. :o :shock: It's a pretty tall mountain. :lol:
  • BubbaBubba Posts: 631
    We used to go to Sebago Lake in Maine all the time when I was younger. Used to go in August and it was beautiful. Warm days and cool nights....beautiful lake. Used to take day trips to Bar Harbor, Mt. Washington and other nearby places in VT & New Hampshire. Beautiful country up that way, been wanting to go back.

Sebago Lake Campground used to be a place where we would bring out camper and hook up for two weeks but now they have changed and have rentals all around the lake. I would highly recommend it.
    contact mr. trout hatchery guy. maybe he'll see your thread and say hi

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    The Presidental Range - New Hampshire - The White Mountains - Amazing hiking and camping...

Too many swans. :lol:
  • In the summer you can go mountain biking at some sweet spots in VT....Burlington is a beautiful city but if you are all of the way there you may as well keep driving into Montreal if you have never been. Fun city.
    NH (outside of southern part closer to Boston) and VT are very similar -- both beautiful but remote. I grew up in VT so am partial to my home state.

Maine -- you can do lots there. Used to love Old Orchard Beach as a kid but haven't been in years. The obvious Lobster, Lobster Roll, Clams, etc, is really pretty great.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    As a native New Englander, I highly recommend this trip. Anywhere in New England is gorgeous, you can go the ocean, to a lakeside, the mountains, anywhere.

Just beware, if you go to Maine, and you are deep in the woods somewhere (by a lake or something), no matter how nice it is during the day, it gets pretty damn chilly at night time.

And if you are driving, I would recommend stopping at Lake George, NY and Cooperstown, NY.

My family did the trip from NJ to NY (through Lake George and Cooperstown) then up to Montreal and Toronto, then back down through Maine, NH and Massachusetts.

Absolutely beautiful places.
    find some fog whilst on the coast, yes/no?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited April 2012
    I suggest a drive from Lake George,NY up to Lake Placid, NY, cross the bridge at Ticonderoga over to VT and then hit Burlington, go to Magic Hat Brewery, drive SE through VT to NH and go to Keene, then drive to the coast to Ogunquit, ME and then up to Acadia National Park. It's quite the drive but well worth it if you have the time! Old Orchard Beach, ME is not worth the stop; we were last year and is a run-down town that's seen better days.

Oh, and the best time is summer through Fall.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    Anywhere in New England is gorgeous, you can go the ocean, to a lakeside, the mountains, anywhere.

Absolutely beautiful places.
    this is why i love new england
  • I live in NH. You can't go wrong with the White Mountains or Lake Winnipesaukee. VT and Maine are also very nice, hit em all! Also you can drive to the top of Mt. Washington which is nice with some amazing views if the weather is good.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I live in NH. You can't go wrong with the White Mountains or Lake Winnipesaukee. VT and Maine are also very nice, hit em all! Also you can drive to the top of Mt. Washington which is nice with some amazing views if the weather is good.

wait...how could you have joined in 1970? :o !?!? :shock:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I live in NH. You can't go wrong with the White Mountains or Lake Winnipesaukee. VT and Maine are also very nice, hit em all! Also you can drive to the top of Mt. Washington which is nice with some amazing views if the weather is good.

wait...how could you have joined in 1970? :o !?!? :shock:

good eye
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jeanwah wrote:
    Old Orchard Beach, ME is not worth the stop; we were last year and is a run-down town that's seen better days.

Sorry to hear that, it was fun 20 years ago.

DS Mentioned shopping.....I believe it is North Conway where the outlets are. (NH)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • VERMONT
    More micro breweries per capita than any state. :D

The entire state has many scenic drives through beautiful valleys and over stunning mountains.
    Venture on the back roads to get a true idea of how stunning VT is. :o
    Very little traffic. Low crime rate. :clap:
    Great hiking on the long trail. Frequent wildlife sightings. Loads of backwoods camping opportunities.

Take a chair lift up a mountain and then rent a bicycle and ride back down.
    Cycle some winding country roads.
    Rent ATVs.
    Kayak pristine mountain lakes. Trout fish in a backwoods stream.

In the fall there is spectacular foliage.
    Visit one of many historic sites.
    Shopping : Burlington, Manchester, Woodstock
    Arts Burlington , Brattleboro
    Visit the northeast Kingdom
    Awesome restaurants at some of the Inns. VT attracts some of the world's best chefs. There is an abundance of fresh local food. Chef Emeril did a TV show in VT and said he loves it here.

If your group needs to a place to crash let me know. I have a mountain top farm that is a great place to party.
    It is located in central VT. I have a guest house
    We have frequent BBQs , bonfires, blasting music.
    There is a really cool Fenway park wiffle ball field. It has crowd murals & art work depicting classic Red Sox vs Yankee moments. There is also a sound track that relates to murals.
    Great beer / killer skunk/ fresh picked mushrooms for your steak and most likely 3 to 4 hot girls who appreciate tips. :corn:
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Old Orchard Beach, ME is not worth the stop; we were last year and is a run-down town that's seen better days.

Sorry to hear that, it was fun 20 years ago.

DS Mentioned shopping.....I believe it is North Conway where the outlets are. (NH)

there are awesome outlets in Maine too, right over the NH border, or not too far anyway

http://www.thekitteryoutlets.com/directions.cfm

As far as Maine goes, I like Wells Beach and Kennebunkport, maybe you can see the Bush's (Srs.) like I did when I was last in Kennebunkport. They have a compound there. :lol:
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I love ME. but If I was spending some vacation time from Chicagoland, I would hit up the cape.

Cape Cod League baseball
    Good Beaches
    Great Weather
    Concerts at the Melody Tent

I've stayed in brewster, Harwichport Orleans, Yarmouth and Hyannis.
    good stuff so far....

thanks
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Update? :corn:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    You can just drive through CT.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful