anyone ever play at their own wedding?

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited April 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
i'm getting married in a few days...i also happen to be in a cover band that plays weddings...so we are going to have a DJ for most of the night, then my band is going to play a set towards the end of the night...and my bride is gonna sing a few songs, cuz we met when she sang a few songs with my band

anyone ever play their own wedding before? part of me wonders if it will rub people the wrong way....like i should be greeting people and whatnot, and instead i'm up there being a rock star to a relativey captive audience
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ShortyShorty Posts: 1,160
    I am going to assume a few things here.....

You've played weddings before - and you'll play more again.
    You've likely played more weddings than times you've been married.

Enjoy the wedding - you only do it once (twice? Three times?).

ON THE OTHER HAND

It's your wedding man - do whatever the fuck you two want to do - to hell with those that think you should be smoozing.

Bet that all helped - didn't it.

Cheers
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    i almost played at our reception...but i decided not to. i just wanted to focus on the day.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • I went to a wedding where the groom played an acoustic song for the bride...there wasn't a try eye in the place.

Good luck! :)
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Maybe one song. You have the rest of your life to play shows and only one wedding(hopefully).
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • i'm not married, but in september 2010 my drummer got married. all four of the other guys in the band were in the wedding and we ended up playing his wedding reception. in the months leading up to the wedding we learned a bunch of songs at the request of the bride. we had to find a fill in drummer since our drummer obviously was not going to play anything but one song with us. we found a drummer and had several marathon rehearsal sessions. the bride and groom were going to play a song with the band and she was going to play piano and the rest of us were going to play our regular instruments and the song we were going to play was "somewhere only we know" but keane. she was not very good at piano, and we all spent hours and hours rehearsing this song with her and finally got it down well enough that it was something we would not embarrass ourselves playing in front of people and we were all excited about playing it. turns out the bride got drunk and said "screw it we aren't playing the song", so we wasted all of that time. and by the third set our drummer was drunk so he kicked the replacement drummer off the stage and played our whole last set with us. it was a blast. probably the best wedding i have ever been involved with. the groom was the hero of the day because on the party bus earlier in the day our singer choked on part of his sandwich and the drummer performed the heimlich on him and saved his life. i gotta tell ya, nothing will kill the mood on a wedding party bus quite like having the bus stopped on the side of the road surrounded by police cars and an ambulance...but he was ok and the party carried on...

i don't see a problem with the groom playing the wedding reception. i just would not play the entire thing because to me it is more the bride's night than the groom's so the groom had better be available to make that bride's dreams come true that night. good luck in your wedding, OP :)
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • sounds like fun man.
    especially if that is how you and your wife-to-be met,
    go for it.
    have fun.
    rock out.

what kind've songs would you be playing, if you don't mind me asking?

This could actually be a pretty cool bit for you and your friends.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    so my wedding was great! everything turned out awesome....if anything, the music part got changed around a bit due to time flying by pretty fast...we planned on doing a 16 song set from 10pm to 11pm...the next thing we knew, it was 10:30 and dinner was still being served and we hadnt started playing yet! so we played from 11:30 to midnight to close out the night

the songs we ended up playing were:

funk medley - Play That Funky Music/Jungle Boogie/Aeroplane (partial)
    Dynamite
    Rolling in the Deep (bride sang)
    Piece of My Heart (bride sang)
    Shipping Up to Boston
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    so my wedding was great! everything turned out awesome....if anything, the music part got changed around a bit due to time flying by pretty fast...we planned on doing a 16 song set from 10pm to 11pm...the next thing we knew, it was 10:30 and dinner was still being served and we hadnt started playing yet! so we played from 11:30 to midnight to close out the night

the songs we ended up playing were:

funk medley - Play That Funky Music/Jungle Boogie/Aeroplane (partial)
    Dynamite
    Rolling in the Deep (bride sang)
    Piece of My Heart (bride sang)
    Shipping Up to Boston
    glad to hear it went well. that is the funny thing about weddings. it is usually fly by the seat of your pants and the schedule always gets messed up lol..
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    My guitar instructor's 3-piece band played at our wedding, and me and my bandmate jumped in during setbreak and played 4 songs. It was WAY too much fun.

One of the songs is on our page for downloading: http://cheesemerge.com/sounds.htm (from 5/2/09)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"