Where we got Music in the last 30 years

RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://bitsandpieces.us/2012/04/10/wher ... -30-years/

I wish you could freeze frame the graphic, but it's pretty amazing...
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    RKCNDY wrote:
    http://bitsandpieces.us/2012/04/10/where-we-got-our-music-the-last-30-years/

LP making a comeback. :)
    Who were these people with all those CDs in the mid-80s??? I don't remember even knowing they existed until maybe 1990! Was I just a loser kid with cheap parents or something?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    http://bitsandpieces.us/2012/04/10/where-we-got-our-music-the-last-30-years/

LP making a comeback. :)
    Who were these people with all those CDs in the mid-80s??? I don't remember even knowing they existed until maybe 1990! Was I just a loser kid with cheap parents or something?

:lol::lol::lol:
    I remember my parent getting a 5 disc CD player in the late 80s...it cost something like $500
    CDs were $18.99
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I remember my brother got a CD player for Christmas in the late 80's. It was actually a CD/Cassette/Record player. I didn't understand why he needed it, I thought tapes were fine myself.

Remember the packaging CDs used to come in? It was a long box that about a foot long, kind of pointless, with the jewel case inside.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I have a pretty clear memory of my parents first getting a stereo system that featured a cd player in like 1992/3...I know I was in school already, but not more than 1st or 2nd grade.

I bought my first records on cassettes still, CDs were super expensive (if my town's awful shop had what I wanted, which barely was the case), cost about 20-25€ there.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    Kathi wrote:
    I have a pretty clear memory of my parents first getting a stereo system that featured a cd player in like 1992/3...I know I was in school already, but not more than 1st or 2nd grade.

I bought my first records on cassettes still, CDs were super expensive (if my town's awful shop had what I wanted, which barely was the case), cost about 20-25€ there.
    I didn't even get my first cassette until 1989 (when my cheapo parents finally swung for one of those shitty white plastic double cassette girly ghetto blasters for my birthday - I had to get PJ's first 4 albums on cassette :cry: ). My first cassette purchase: Ice-T's The Iceberg. lol. And thus began a long decade of creating mix tapes. Sigh.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I had my first CD player I think in 1986. My parents got it for me and the first CD they bought me...George Michael. Thanks Mom. :lol:
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    That's pretty cool...although it's sad to see the green slice get smaller and smaller...
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I first got a CD player in 1992. My dad gave me 2 CD's (Bryan Adams and Phil Collins :lol: ) It wasn't until a few months later I got Ten on CD. Been rockin ever since.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • LMAO I love this thread.. I actually STILL have about two hundred cassettes.. most are pretty fucking shot, but they hold so many memories..I just can't part with them. I never got my first CD player til 1990 when I got my first job training horses and actually started making REAL money versus just minimum wage..BUT until that day I used to take my walkman and tie it ( hooked up to outboard speakers) to the lace strings of my saddle so I could listen to my music on my horses.. I was the only person onsite at shows whose horse had a stereo!!LOL
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    I remember my dad bought a 5 disc changer in like 1992 or something. Sad to say but the first CD I bought was Bobby Brown :oops: followed at some point by this...

wreckxneffects-300x299.jpg
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    dougfloyd wrote:
    I remember my dad bought a 5 disc changer in like 1992 or something. Sad to say but the first CD I bought was Bobby Brown :oops: followed at some point by this...

wreckxneffects-300x299.jpg

All I wanna do is zoom-a-zoom - JUST SHAKE YA RUMP! :lol:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....