The NCAA is a Joke

EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
So, Baylor (a religiously based school!!! - 1,200 impermissible calls!!!! Well, sir, I wasn't aware. And we JUST missed by a wee bit - 1,200!!!!!!) gets off with their self imposed slap on the wrist which involves limiting recruiting (but not post season, and only losing 1 and 2 for mens, women's scholarships out of 15!!!! So, they'll only have 13 scholarships to give in a sport where 5 start and MAYBE 8 play significant minutes?!). Penn State football gets off without even an investigation (From NCAA - not talking the criminal stuff which is separate).

But, Ohio State gets punished for kids trading their signatures and jerseys for tatoos (lack of institutional control - Penn State wasn't a lack of institutional control?) and UCONN gets a post season ban - a penalty that was put in place AFTER the measurement period (and they already self penalized and took corrective action to the point that they would be above standard for the current measurement period)?

I'm not arguing the latter 2 should not have happened. But, how do the first 2 occur in light of the second 2? :?
Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Ohio State's issue was the cover up. If the cover up doesn't happpen, it's a slap on the wrist.

I'll leave penn state for Davidtrios. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Ohio State's issue was the cover up. If the cover up doesn't happpen, it's a slap on the wrist.

And the others didn't cover up? I mean, they're all cover ups, or they don't happen. If you were doing it out in the open, well, uh, you probably wouldn't be doing it, now would you?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

And the others didn't cover up? I mean, they're all cover ups, or they don't happen. If you were doing it out in the open, well, uh, you probably wouldn't be doing it, now would you?

i don't know all the details on the other ones....so i don't know if there were cover ups by the people in charge.

just saying, if tress doesn't lie about shit, ohio state gets a slap on the wrist.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Oh, and BTW, many of the Baylor calls happened in 2008 and some in relation to the best player on the undefeated team (who with her father reported the calls). Wonder why it took them 4 years to come clean....
  • 81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i don't know all the details on the other ones....so i don't know if there were cover ups by the people in charge.

just saying, if tress doesn't lie about shit, ohio state gets a slap on the wrist.

Again, I'm not arguing about the last 2. But, to that last point - why didn't Tressel just get punished? Why does the University get punished for a single person lying? And if so, what was Joe Paterno doing?

I have no connection to Ohio State. So, I don't really care other than the hypocrisy of the NCAA.
  • The NCAA is a Joke is one of the most indisputable statements ever posted.

As a USC fan and alum I have lots to gripe about....but I think that we deserved punishment. What I hate most about the NCAA is the agenda-driven actions they take and the inconsistency which is so obvious when looking through their actions over the last 20 years.
    Don't even get started on the BCS, one of the biggest scams of all time!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    The NCAA are a bunch of crooks. The UConn situation pisses me off so much. They punish the kids for next season for the grades of kids from a few seasons ago. It's bullshit.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Newch91 wrote:
    The NCAA are a bunch of crooks. The UConn situation pisses me off so much. They punish the kids for next season for the grades of kids from a few seasons ago. It's bullshit.

The ironic thing is, they would probably struggle next year anyway. Lamb would have left anyway, and Oriakhi - well I think we saw what he was. Drummond may be another ? but whatever. They'll all have a year to develop. Calhoun has missed the tournament before and won it all a couple years later. 2014's Championship will be all the sweeter and he can retire in style!

My big thing is - they get penalized via punishments put in place AFTER the measurements are taken. Even in the court of law, you know what the parameters are (well, not necessarily know, but they are laid out) for your punishment if you do certain things. In this case, they put rules in place with punishments, then changed the punishments after they were deemed to be in violation (And were already fixing the issue which in this case I would assume is the primary reason for imposing penalties).

Yet, Baylor breaks obvious rules 1,200 times!!!!! And they get to self impose a wrist slap that the NCAA simply accepts.

And, as someone else has said, let's not get into the "lack of institutional control" being ignored at Penn State.....
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,362
    The shit about the North Dakota Fighting Sioux drives me crazy. it's a nickname ENDORSED BY THE SIOUX TRIBE and they don't want to let them use it. But the Florida St. Seminoles is just fine, with their ridiculous tomahawk chop. An Indian tribe that was genocided to Oklahoma. WTF
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful