Old Man in Nursing Home Reacts to Hearing Music from his Era

samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
This is one of the most beautiful, amazing videos I've seen in a long time. An elderly, not very responsive man reacts to the music he grew up with. Every music lover (you all!) should see this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDXuCE7LeQ
"Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
~not a dude~
2010: MSGx2
2012: Made In America
2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
2015: Global Citizen Festival
2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Can't watch the video right now, but it's a known fact that music affects/creates reactions in the part of our brain that reacts to, for example, extremely shocking and upsetting images - the real, real deep stuff. :) (When scientists first wanted to make something happen in that part of the brain, they would do so with harsh imagery, but later found out that music does the same. Obviously, music creates a much more positive reaction. :D )

It's also known that as the mind deteriorates with age, music and songs are often one of the last things that remain. I've heard storuies of old ladies who wouldn't/couldn't speak anymore, but would hum bits of songs they'd listen to a lot during their life.

Music is amazing stuff. :)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,383
    Thanks for posting that was powerful!!
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,383
    Thanks for posting that was powerful!!
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    that is beautiful

this dude likes cab calloway
    im gonna try him out as i never heard of this gentleman :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/_8yGGtVKrD8

cab calloway is the minnie the moocher dude :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Just beautiful. May I never lose the ability to listen to music.
  • That's the coolest thing I've seen in a looooooong time :D
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    That was great. And there was just a Cab Calloway bio thing on PBS that was fantastic. It's probably on YouTube.

Thanks for posting.
  • perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    That's awesome. He just lights up when he hears the music. Thanks for posting.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    so awesome...
    when i'm old, i know pearl jam will still make my face light up :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    :cry::cry::cry:
    Cab ... Henry is precious great taste in music!

my mama that was all she wanted in her end days ... her music

like heaven like being released

thanks for sharing that
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    that is just beautiful

music lives within our souls
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Ah jeez....that made me cry! :(
    Lovely to see the life just flood back into him like that. My Stepdads father has just recently gone into a nursing home and he is deteriorating fast, so sad to see. He's a very proud man and he gets embarrassed about forgetting who everyone is. We like to sit and talk to him about his era, seems to be easier for him to remember than recent events.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I am in tears.

I had an almost exact experience like that with my dad in 2008.He had Alzheimers,he had been totally unresponsive to our frequent visits for many years.
    I bought him and ipod and loaded it with music from the albums he had at home.I put the headphones on him and hit shuffle,the first track that came on was Ray Charles.Dad instantly began drumming on the table,singing,smiling his face glowing.Dad hadn't spoken for years up until that day.

The final year of dad's life he listened to music on his ipod every day.The power of music is unquestionable.

For my dad who I miss every day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8o4os6U ... re=related

Thank you for posting this O.P :)
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    StillHere wrote:
    that is just beautiful

music lives within our souls
    yes
    music is as primal as we are
    and in the beginning sticks
    rocks and drums
    flutes came along too

we were off and running
    singing and it was more like grunting and beating chests

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Man that was beautiful and awesome....now that will be me in 60 years when somebody, anybody who will play 2.gif1022.gif

peace people
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    chadwick wrote:

Ah yes! 'Primal' is the word I was looking for! :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Great story. Thanks for sharing.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    eMMI wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

Ah yes! 'Primal' is the word I was looking for! :D
    http://youtu.be/3DOamgay6Mw
    primal concrete sledge

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    henry's story is just awesome....it's very moving 8-)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    eMMI wrote:
    Can't watch the video right now, but it's a known fact that music affects/creates reactions in the part of our brain that reacts to, for example, extremely shocking and upsetting images - the real, real deep stuff. :) (When scientists first wanted to make something happen in that part of the brain, they would do so with harsh imagery, but later found out that music does the same. Obviously, music creates a much more positive reaction. :D )

It's also known that as the mind deteriorates with age, music and songs are often one of the last things that remain. I've heard storuies of old ladies who wouldn't/couldn't speak anymore, but would hum bits of songs they'd listen to a lot during their life.

Music is amazing stuff. :)

yes, this reminds me of when a friend of mine, whose sister was in the hospital in a coma (her sister was 8). She just wouldn't wake up, so my friend brought her Discman to the hospital and played the Aladin soundtrack for her sister. She said it was the only time her sister's heart rate rose and they got any kind of response from her. Eventually she woke up and she's doing ok now.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    So glad everyone so far is enjoying...after I watched this I posted it on my FB, texted all my friends and told them to watch it, will keep sharing. That video almost had me in tears. Music is just so damn powerful!
    ~not a dude~
  • kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    samjam wrote:
    So glad everyone so far is enjoying...after I watched this I posted it on my FB, texted all my friends and told them to watch it, will keep sharing. That video almost had me in tears. Music is just so damn powerful!

So awesome. My Gram is 97 & still relatively ok, moves slow & short-term memory is pretty much gone, she knows my face but not who I am for instance. She was over a couple of weeks ago with my Mom & I played Water on the Road. Gram was sitting, head back with her eyes closed which always freaks me out a little, so I asked her if she was ok. She opened her eyes, looked at me with the ghost of the smile I used to know, & said "I'm listening, its beautiful."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    if that doesn't make you smile, you're dead inside

and i love the liam finn at the end 8-)
  • That was beautiful... awe-inspiring! Wow!

norm wrote:
    I was just about to say something about that! :D
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    samjam wrote:

So awesome. My Gram is 97 & still relatively ok, moves slow & short-term memory is pretty much gone, she knows my face but not who I am for instance. She was over a couple of weeks ago with my Mom & I played Water on the Road. Gram was sitting, head back with her eyes closed which always freaks me out a little, so I asked her if she was ok. She opened her eyes, looked at me with the ghost of the smile I used to know, & said "I'm listening, its beautiful."

Awesome :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    afroannnie wrote:
    samjam wrote:

Awesome :D
    +1 awesome story, thanks for sharing!
    ~not a dude~
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    norm wrote:
    if that doesn't make you smile, you're dead inside

I actually saw this for the first time a couple of days ago when Liam shared the video on facebook
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited October 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I always tell my family, if I stop reacting to the music it means I'm dead.