Fender FSR Seafoam Green Blacktop Telecaster

dogfootbluesdogfootblues Posts: 116
edited April 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just put one of these little bitches on hold at GC. Apparently its a special run just for GC. The color is awesome and the two humbuckers really make this Telecaster look awesome. It almost looks identical to the Schecter Tele Pete played during Drowned. So its a Mexican, can anyone give me a heads up. Am i going to have to replace the tuners or pickups? Also, how difficult would it be to turn the control plate around to the regular way? Any comments will be cool.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Not bad, I didn't know they had these. I've always been partial to the classic Fender solid colors, Seafoam Green is a great look.

In the past, I've always been happy with the tuners on the Mexi Fenders. If you want super-nice tuners, or lockers or something fancy, you can replace, but they should be fine for normal use.

As for the pups, I'd probably be ready to replace. I've never met a Fender humbucker that was worth anything (notable exception for the Wide-Range HB). You might play it for a bit and see if you connect with the pups, and if not, take note of the changes in tone you are looking for. There are so many HB choices out there, at so many different price levels, it's equal parts intimidating and exciting.

Finally, the control plate should just unscrew, rotate, and screw back in, unless the leads are too short. But I doubt that would be a problem. You might need to take everything off the control plate, turn the plate around, then re-attach (especially the pup switch, so it stays pointed in the right direction, instead of getting spun 180 around). Again, the only real issue would be the leads from the pups to the controls, and then from the controls to the output.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Thanks man. It looks really cool and retro whice is what attracted me at first. But also modern with the HH configuration. Your the guy i wanna talk too. 1st. I have 2 schecter pts and the humbuckers need replacing. What do you recommend for them. Im a tele guy so whatever would be ok for the FSR should be good for the Schecter? Can you lead me the right way. Only thing is the humbuckers must be black. Try to take a look at that Fender Blacktop Telecaster FSR in Seafoam Green. Its sweet.
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
    I have 2 schecter pts and the humbuckers need replacing. What do you recommend for them. Im a tele guy so whatever would be ok for the FSR should be good for the Schecter? Can you lead me the right way. Only thing is the humbuckers must be black.

I'm a plain-Jane kinda humbucker guy. I tend toward the PAF/Classic '57 type of pup. One of my favorite combos was a Seymour Duncan open-coil '59 bridge with a Gibson nickel-covered Classic '57 in the neck. Not exactly the look you are going for, but it's a nice, versatile, and classic tonal pair. Most HB's are available with double-black coils, which makes it fairly easy to find something that works in that look. Biggest question is, what isn't working with the stock PT pickups?

Another option (one I'd be looking at myself) is the HB-sized P-90 clone. Gibson P-94, Harmonic Design Z-90, Seymour Duncan "Phat Cat" or "P-Rails", Bare Knuckle "Mississippi Queen", Fralin P-92, etc.
  • At first it seemed like it was maybe too smothered in low end. I messed around with the Deluxes mid and presence and straighted that out. I dont know, I just dont feel at home. I cant explain it technicly.
    At first it seemed like it was maybe too smothered in low end. I messed around with the Deluxes mid and presence and straighted that out. I dont know, I just dont feel at home. I cant explain it technicly.

As in, muddy and lacking definition and sparkle?
  • excatly
    Yeah, I'd look at open-coil HB's in the vein of an underwound or stock PAF. Seymour Duncan '59s or something like that. I'm not sure if the Schecters use Fender spacing on their pups, or if they use standard Gibby-sized HB's, so you'll want to figure that out before you buy anything.