Looking to Start a Band...

GwyzardGwyzard Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am a fresh n00b to this forum, despite being a PJ fan for over half my life now... so I apologize if posts like this aren't allowed; I haven't seen anything similar.

Anyway, I am a live audio engineer/lighting designer in the Seattle area, and I *REALLY* miss actually playing music myself, as opposed to helping other bands sound & look great.

I'm not the greatest guitarist, but I am practicing every day and scraping the rust off those skillz... When I've been in bands previously, It's always been as the lead singer/lyricist and/or bass player. My vocal skills are coming back far more quickly, and for the first time in awhile, I'm feeling really confident about my singing.

Point Being: I would love to start a band with some like-minded music nerdz. I'd like it to be something original, but I'm ok with jamming out on some covers for now and seeing how things progress. My goal is to write originals together & get good enough as a band to be playing shows locally by summer's end, and to have a GREAT time with it, no matter what happens. "I'll ride the wave... where it takes me..." ;)

Other Influences: Soundgarden, Ian Thornley/Big Wreck, HUM, Shawn Smith, Eleven, Mother Love Bone, Polaris, Giant Drag, Mudhoney, Fleetwood Mac, Smashing Pumpkins, Better Than Ezra, Ours, QOTSA, Screaming Trees, etc. Please note that I'm not listing my favourite bandz; I'm listing those who I actually believe influence my sound when I play, sing, etc., or bands whose general sound or vibe describe what I'd want my hypothetical band to be like.

I've never been trained as a recording engineer, which is a very different thing than being a live engineer... But I do have a strong skillset in audioscience that I think would be a benefit to any group I was in, and certainly plan to learn how to run ProTools (eventually) and at least get better at live recording/digital multitracking with a semi-MacGuyvered setup.

Please PM me if you're interested in chatting/jamming/whatevering, & we can take it from there.

FYI: I just turned 30, I'm a giant overimaginative NERD who just happens to be female, and I don't deal with nonsense from guys with guitars who are only looking to get laid. You don't have to be amazing @ your instrument or be planning to quit your dayjob to do the whole band thing.... Please just be passionate about music, generally know what you're doing with your instrument, and above all, be a respectful human being.

:)

Thanx!

~~Gwyzard
"When something's dark, let me shed a little light on it...
When signals cross, I wanna put a little straight on it...

If something's lost... I wanna fight to get it back again!!!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Welcome! Posts like this are fine, although they don't always get much response. The M&G community here is spread pretty wide geographically, so there aren't as many in any one area. If I was still living in the Seattle area, I'd totally hit you up for a jam session... alas, I moved almost 4 years ago. Funny enough, I was a live audio guy myself out there.

I haven't browsed the Seattle area Craigslist recently, but that's where I would start. You could always look at the open-mic route, too; can be a good place to meet music-minded folk. Other than that, good luck! Stop by Emerald City Guitars and drool on some vintage gear for me.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • GwyzardGwyzard Posts: 2
    Thanx for the reply! I figured it was as good a place as any to start, but I do plan on utilizing the other routes you suggested as well. My main priority right now is getting steadier work lined up; I'm just putting out feelers for now. Experience has taught me that it takes time to put together a really stellar band... most of us aren't quite lucky enough to meet the Stone to their Jeff right away! (and Jeff apparently wanted to punch Stone at first, anyway, haha)

What sorta shows did you work on while you were around, if you don't mind my asking? I'm trying to get into doing more theatre, since it tends to be a bit steadier and there's less chasing of paychecks (in my experience, anyhow) but I'm also trying to get my foot in some doors, try and become a fill-in mixer at clubs around town, in the hopes that my skillz/their needs will lead to steady paid gigs at least a couple nites per week. Then I wouldn't need a crappy day job anymore. ;)

Also, what instruments do you play? Do you record? I know you said you were out of town & all, just curious.

~~GZ
    "When something's dark, let me shed a little light on it...
    When signals cross, I wanna put a little straight on it...

If something's lost... I wanna fight to get it back again!!!"
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I was working for a sound co. in the north end, so doing a lot of stuff where I set up amps and speakers and let someone else push the board. We did events all over the area, Everett to Tacoma and out to Bellevue. I did work some gigs at the Sunset Tavern, Chop Suey, one at Neumo's, and a few gigs at a bar in West Seattle called Rocksport. I was trying to get a foot in the door at the Moore before I left town, but that didn't pan out. I was lucky to work some really cool places, though... Paramount, Moore, Benaroya, Qwest (now Centurytel), Safeco, Puyallup fairgrounds, all over Seattle Center, Tacoma Dome, and the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in Portland. I've done sound for theater, but I'm not a drama tech kinda guy.

I've always been a tad multi-instrumental, mostly a guitar guy but I started on piano and have played bass, drums, and a bit of uke and mandolin. I've done some recording, both just messing around and as an engineer on other peoples' projects. I think to date I've recorded and mixed 4 albums and an EP for official release, all on ProTools LE systems.

Good luck with the Seattle scene, I sure miss it a bunch.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.