Boston / NYC: bars you would recommend

MangoMango Posts: 1,049
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hiya,

myself and the wife have a 10 day trip coming up in Boston from 23 April (Mon, Tues, Wed) and then up to NYC (Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed). I haven't been back to either city in over 10 years so am looking for any cool bars you would recommend or any alternative clubs. I know the touristy type places (not interested too much) but if you have a name of a gem that's hidden away I'd love to know.

Any other suggestions welcomed!

Thanks
"Life comes from within your heart and desire"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    There's this Irish style pub in the Times Square area of NYC that I got absolutley trashed at and had the best time. I don't remember the name but they had a bathroom in the back and towards the right. Hope this helps. :lol:
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    In Boston, check out McGreevey's on Boylston St. Acroos from the Hynes Convention Center in the Back Bay. It's owned by Ken Casey of the Dropkick Murphys, has tons of Red Sox and Bruins memorabilia from throughout each teams history. Just an overall cool place to hang.

http://www.mcgreevysboston.com/
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • BELLZDEEPBELLZDEEP Posts: 289
    hit the fenway park area, a lot of good bars and stuff to do around there (especially on a game day)...the purple shamrock in boston is always a favorite for people visiting... the 'cheers' bar which doesn't look like the 'cheers' bar is there.....and always have liked the bean town pub, (they claim they are the only bar in america where you can drink a sam adams beer, while looking at sam adam's grave......and if you just want to see the city the duck tour is awesome (though kinda cheesy and cleche)!!
  • If you don't want touristy in NYC:

McSorely's off Terra Tsevchanko Place (I think and the spelling is probably wrong) down in the village. Can get packed. Depending on size of line (yes, even early in the day, might be worth the wait if sunny). Only drinks are "light" and "dark" (the dark really isn't a dark beer. It's darkER, but by no means Guinessy - and they're small, so order 2 at a time for each person). Wood tables, sawdust on the ground. Cobwebs on the ceiling. Lots of JFK and like newspaper cut outs. Just a ton of fun. Go during the day - it's a blast. They actually added a separate women's room about 20 years ago (yes, it's been open for 100 years, but had only a men's room until about 1990 :lol: ).

Peculier Pub on Bleecker Street (not too far north of McSorely's, but a bit of a walk). Has every bottled beer known to mankind and some known only to the animal kingdom. Just don't fall for the tourist joke where they kid you into "buying" the magnum (which is much bigger than a real magnum) of beer. They won't really make you buy it. But, it's a HUGE bottle that they keep on hand.

I would go McSorely's in early afternoon (I have actually started BEFORE noon - not recommended for the unitiated or older - as in me NOW), walk toward Peculier in any fashion (Well, you'll be staggering, but that's not what I mean. I mean you don't have to go up 1 street or another in particular. Just know your map, and head in the direction). Then, hit a hidden pub or little hole in the wall for dinner along the way. You'll also probably see a cool record shop or 2 to pop into for browsing. Then, depending on time hit another for an after dinner drink/game of pool (point is, there's plenty of great places to choose from regardless of which streets you turn down on your way to the Peculier). Then get to the Peculier to finish your night (And finish your night it will).

Guaranteed 100% fun time or you're a loser. Both places can be googled for exact addresses. Have fun!!!

EDIT: Didn't even see you're from Dublin. Definitely McSorely's. ;) Too funny.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,049
    Thanks a lot guys :-)
    Im gonna be staying in Williamsburgh whilst in NY
  • Mango wrote:

That's perfect for my suggestion. Short taxi ride across Wiilliamsburg Bridge (or maybe Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridges depending on exactly where you are) to McSorelys. While in Brooklyn (where Williamsburg is - what I suggested are in Manhattan), seek out some pizza and bagels. Won't be hard to find either, and you'll know why we are snobs about the 2 of them. You'll be ruined for life. :D

Also, if you're up for it, go down to The Division Street area of Wiliamsburg and id an authentic Kosher Deli/restaurant. They are Hacidic in that area of Williamsburg, but that's some Jewish soul food if you have time. Chulunt (Jewish "chili" brewed for days) and potato pancake or koogle. It's heavy food, so do not order too much. But good stuff. And you'll immerse yourself in a different world.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    Sounds great EdsonNascimento!! Thanks for the tip 8-)
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    if u want a good goof go to jeckyl and hyde in nyc

the bathroom is hidden in the bookcase ...(p.s. yes even i have gotten lost )
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Since you're staying in Billyburg, you should try out my friends place. He just opened a restaurant and bar called Gwynnett St. If you're into food you'll be blown away! It just was given 2 stars by the NY Times last week and overnight has become packed! Specialty cocktails and top notch cuisine for less than Manhattan prices. But don't take my biased word on it, http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/dinin ... oklyn.html
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/gwynnett-st-brooklyn
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,823
    McSorleys is best early in the day
    Try Burp castle-run by monks that brew beer and sush you
    Try the great jones cafe
    One of my favorite NYC things to do is the grand central oyster bar-sit at the small bar in the middle of the restaurant and have a bloody mary and a dozen oysters-heaven!
    PJ Clarkes on third ave is also cool
    For an upscale treat, try the King cole bar at the St. Regis hotel-many claim the bloody mary was invented there.

Most of these places are touristy, but there is a reason-they are good places to go!
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Mango wrote:

there is a great beer garden on N. 3rd and Berry. It's called the Radegast Hall & Biergarten.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    I've been to so many in NYC and I can't tell you the name of any of them. I'm worthless. I'll be there Friday and I'm sure I'll find another one and not remember the name of it.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.