Touch wood

dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
i saw a post from a fellow fan at porch.....for sent away the bad luck ,
she use the frase"touch wood"
in Greece we say,"knock on wood "for sent away bad luck..
anyone knows where this coming from?why people say it?
do you guys use it in USA?
"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
"..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think she wants to touch your wood
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I use the phrase "knock on wood" all the time. It's used as you would say to keep bad luck away or something bad happening.

I find I use it at work alot more. Like knock on wood that machine didn't crash.

I've never heard "touch wood", but I would imagine it would mean the same thing just a different way of saying "knock on wood"
    I think she wants to touch your wood
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    I use the phrase "knock on wood" all the time. It's used as you would say to keep bad luck away or something bad happening.

I find I use it at work alot more. Like knock on wood that machine didn't crash.

I've never heard "touch wood", but I would imagine it would mean the same thing just a different way of saying "knock on wood"
    we say here "touch red" when 2 people say the exact same thing at the exact same time,we say it for avoid fight to eachother.. :)
    and u are half Greek,ofcourse u use the knock on wood ;)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

we say here "touch red" when 2 people say the exact same thing at the exact same time,we say it for avoid fight to eachother.. :)

here we use "jinx" if two people say the same thing. Or at least I do. :)

Hey, us Greeks need to stick together. ;)
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i say knock on wood, never heard touch wood before
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I also use knock on wood...but I have touched wood before. :lol:
  • I just cut my wood with a chainsaw and now I am going to burn it. OUCH
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    I'd love to know what OCD sufferer first started the belief that knocking on wood was somehow good luck and how he convinced other people that it was true. I imagine an ancient version of Sheldon Cooper doing it and having all sorts of formulas and charts to back up his claim.
    got a pm..
    "reason we say knock on wood is because pagan people once believe that evil spirits lived in trees or wood.... it was meant to scare them away "
    thats an explanation
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361

We say ("we" being family or friends) ""jinx! pinch, poke, you owe me a coke" and then you have to try to count to ten before the jinxer says anything. I think I am hanging out with grade school kids too much :?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocking_on_wood
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    Carey wrote:

We say ("we" being family or friends) ""jinx! pinch, poke, you owe me a coke" and then you have to try to count to ten before the jinxer says anything. I think I am hanging out with grade school kids too much :?

let me learn the beds and bugs bites first..
    this is to much for my Greekglish!! :lol:
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    let me learn the beds and bugs bites first..
    this is to much for my Greekglish!! :lol:

if they do, hit them with a shoe! :)
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I use "knock on wood"

"Touch wood" wakes my immature mind. :roll:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I use "knock on wood", but have heard "touch wood" as well. :D

We use the phrase here (Finland) too. :)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    Carey wrote:

We've used that one too. Jinx, pinch, poke, you owe me a coke. :lol: I thought it was only me and my crazy ass friends. :lol: Glad to see someone else uses it. :lol:
  • I say "touch wood".
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • Has anyone else read this and thought it said Torch Wood at first? I know I did, I thought it may have been a thread about that show or Dr. Who. Anyway, I say knock on wood.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I only know knocking on wood, and it is also used in that sense in German, "auf Holz klopfen".

"Touch wood", however, also wakes my immature mind ... :shifty: :lol:
  • i saw a post from a fellow fan at porch.....for sent away the bad luck ,
    she use the frase"touch wood"
    in Greece we say,"knock on wood "for sent away bad luck..
    anyone knows where this coming from?why people say it?
    do you guys use it in USA?

spanish speakers say "tocar (touch) madera (wood) for sending away bad luck... that is what is know as a spanish transfer, a literal translation of what it is said in the source language into the literal words said in the target language... the meaning is the same, but the significant is diferent, "knock on wood" in english, "tocar madera" in spanish...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    never touch anouther guys wood
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:

I'll keep that in mind for the next tailgate...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

I'll keep that in mind for the next tailgate...

rule doesn't apply to you
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    get your damn hands off my wood
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    ngbbs4dcf2da895a5d.jpg
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • MORNING WOOD
    According to sexual health practitioners :
    Nocturnal penile tumescence ( erection during sleep or when waking up) is caused by :
    Testosterone related excitatory actions and/or
    A full bladder can stimulate an erection and inhibit urination , there by avoiding nocturnal enuresis.

My personal theory is that it is a safety measure.
    The erect penis acts as a wedge and prevents one from falling out of bed.
    take your woods and go play to another forest...