Crazy Hockey Brawl

Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I'm for fighting in the game. I think it has it's place. The stick swinging stuff is for the birds though. Also the coach sending the team onto the ice instead to the locker rooms was ridiculous. I hope he faced a stiff suspension and fine.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    That dumbass from the crowd that jumps down into the bench right at the end is lucky he was able to walk out of there.
  • Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
    I pretty sure both teams were suspended for the remainder of the year.
    This is from 96/97 Junior A hockey.
    Not sure why they just didn't settle things on the ice, like you said instead of the stick swinging. Would of been more acceptable and fair.
    Not sure why they just didn't settle things on the ice, like you said instead of the stick swinging. Would of been more acceptable and fair.

The goaltender wearing the blue pants for the black team I think his number is 1 was quite the instigator.
  • Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
    DS1119 wrote:

The goaltender wearing the blue pants for the black team I think his number is 1 was quite the instigator.

Yeah he was definitely, he was swinging the stick like a mad man too.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I understand that fighting is part of the game, but it just seems so savage when you put it into perspective.

American Football, Aussie Rules football and rugby are much rougher games, yet they have far fewer brawls.
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162

I like my hockey brawls without a huge barrier in the way. Kinda like baseball players waiting for someone to hold them back so they can "charge the mound"
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    I'm a huge hockey fan but that is pretty disgusting.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

American Football, Aussie Rules football and rugby are much rougher games, yet they have far fewer brawls.

Much rougher? I don't think so. Go play a game of pick up football with tackling and then a pick up hockey game with checking and come back to me on which one is rougher.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    eddiec wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Much rougher? I don't think so. Go play a game of pick up football with tackling and then a pick up hockey game with checking and come back to me on which one is rougher.

I don't think he's talking about a pick up game. Pick up games of American Football usually aren't that rough because nobody has pads, and there's no sense injuring somebody in a game that is supposed to be for fun. The last time I played football somebody had the bright idea of playing full contact instead of touch, and of the 12 of us (6 on 6) there were 3 injuries and a bloody nose.

I don't think it really matters which sport is "more rough", that has little to do with fighting in hockey. There is a lot of fighting in hockey because the sport allows it and often encourages it. There's not a lot of fighting in football because you'll more than likely get tossed from the game. In hockey you'll get 5 minutes in the box to "feel shame". And often players will fight for the hell of it. I don't know whether it's to entertain the fans, or what, but the fight has nothing to do with anything that happened on the ice. There was a video making the rounds several years ago in which Donald Brashear and some other player I can't remember are talking and casually decided they should fight, then drop the gloves. He was like "should we go?", and then they just started a fight for the hell of it.

I'm not against fighting in hockey, but it isn't entirely necessary either. It's just an accepted part of hockey culture, so it happens more often than in other sports. Just look at Olympic hockey. Fighting will get you automatically DQ'd from the tournament, so they just don't fight. When they're told they can't do it, they just don't do it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    eddiec wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I don't think he's talking about a pick up game. Pick up games of American Football usually aren't that rough because nobody has pads, and there's no sense injuring somebody in a game that is supposed to be for fun. The last time I played football somebody had the bright idea of playing full contact instead of touch, and of the 12 of us (6 on 6) there were 3 injuries and a bloody nose.

I don't think it really matters which sport is "more rough", that has little to do with fighting in hockey. There is a lot of fighting in hockey because the sport allows it and often encourages it. There's not a lot of fighting in football because you'll more than likely get tossed from the game. In hockey you'll get 5 minutes in the box to "feel shame". And often players will fight for the hell of it. I don't know whether it's to entertain the fans, or what, but the fight has nothing to do with anything that happened on the ice. There was a video making the rounds several years ago in which Donald Brashear and some other player I can't remember are talking and casually decided they should fight, then drop the gloves. He was like "should we go?", and then they just started a fight for the hell of it.

I'm not against fighting in hockey, but it isn't entirely necessary either. It's just an accepted part of hockey culture, so it happens more often than in other sports. Just look at Olympic hockey. Fighting will get you automatically DQ'd from the tournament, so they just don't fight. When they're told they can't do it, they just don't do it.

I wasn't including fighting in the 'roughness' of either sport. And in terms of comparing a pick up game between the 2 sports it was just a comparison, well a clarification, that football is not rougher than hockey. Football has more injuries but that is largely due to the poor knee that often gets fallen upon by a 300 pound guy or planting and getting it twisted. Aside from kickoffs/punt returns, the only big hits are generally on wide receivers (it used to happen to QB's but the NFL squashed that). The speed of hockey lends itself to constant big checks and subsequently lots of frustration that sometimes leads to fights.

In terms of Olympic hockey there is a lack of fights for several reasons. Yes, the rule of no fighting is a big one. Also, the size of Olympic rinks are much larger than NHL rinks which creates a skaters game where the smaller, faster guys have more room to work and can often evade the bone crunching checks of the bigger guys- which leads to a diminished role for the 'goon' having to protect the goal scorer.
    eddiec wrote:
    Also, the size of Olympic rinks are much larger than NHL rinks which creates a skaters game where the smaller, faster guys have more room to work and can often evade the bone crunching checks of the bigger guys- which leads to a diminished role for the 'goon' having to protect the goal scorer.

This. Also fighting rarely hurts anyone in NHL hockey. Yes you may see some cuts etc. but for the most part it ends up harmless. It can provide a spark for a team and the crowd definatley gets into it. I believe if fighting were banned from the NHL the stickwork would become outrageous. As someone who played hockey for 12-13 years it's hard to describe the "caged animal" feeling you get out on the ice. Anything that keeps sticks down is a plus especially at the professional level.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Fights in hockey are like crashes in Nascar, they always make the highlight reel because next to the goals scored, there isn't much more to show.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Awesome.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Bunch of girls in a cat fight.. the team in white punked out big time..

what a joke..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Caveeze wrote:
    Bunch of girls in a cat fight.. the team in white punked out big time..

what a joke..

I think they had a sensible coach that brought them to their locker room is all. This is just plain ugly.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Sounded like firecrackers going off with all those sticks banging into each other lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014