Temple Grandin

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,699
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
If you're like me and immensely enjoyed the movie about Temple Grandin (simply called "Temple Grandin") you'll enjoy this talk of hers on TED. Beside being in awe of Grandin, I couldn't help but wonder how many other great minds are out there with ideas that could really make a difference in all our lives and the world as a whole. Here's the link:

http://www.ted.com/talks/temple_grandin ... minds.html
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I have seen the movie, and read several of her books. I share many of the same thought processes as she does, but was always labeled "learning disabled", "slow", or "does not comprehend"...interestingly enough, I scored 'well above average' on a standard IQ test.

I have suggested her books to a friend whose son was diagnosed with autism.

oh, and could you please spell her name correctly? Temple Grandin. thanks.

Amazing lady she is.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,699
    edited April 2012
    RKCNDY wrote:

Amazing lady she is.

Thank you. I know her name is Grandin. The other day I saw her name in a post and it was spelled correctly, "Grandin" but in my mind it read "Grandlin" and I thought, I wish they would get it right! :lol:
    So when I started this thread I wanted to get it right and thought I had. Oops! :oops:

It's a problem I have with seeing words sometimes... which is why I try to always use "preview" in a post and even then see things incorrectly sometimes. So thank you for the heads up. I'll edit my post now and make the correction.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited April 2012
    Argh! I can't figure out how to correct Ms Grandin's name in the thread title. Somebody help, please! :oops: :oops: :oops:

• LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Loved that movie! What a brilliant lady! ;)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    edited April 2012
    Loulou wrote:
    Loved that movie! What a brilliant lady! ;)

:clap:

And I don't know how you did it, Loulou, but thanks for the spelling correction! :D

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    An amazing woman,I will check the film out.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I have seen the movie, and read several of her books. I share many of the same thought processes as she does, but was always labeled "learning disabled", "slow", or "does not comprehend"...interestingly enough, I scored 'well above average' on a standard IQ test.

Amazing lady she is.

I read her book Animals in Translation awhile ago and really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the movie yet. Which book(s) would you recommend?
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    afroannnie wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Amazing lady she is.

I read her book Animals in Translation awhile ago and really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the movie yet. Which book(s) would you recommend?

I read Animals in Translation, I also enjoyed Animals Make us Human.

I would also like to read Thinking in Pictures, and Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    RKCNDY wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Amazing lady she is.

I would also like to read Thinking in Pictures, and Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships.

I might have to check those out...and add them to my looong book list :)
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    RKCNDY wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Amazing lady she is.

Thinking in Pictures is next on my list also. I totally loved the "thinking in pictures" scenes (cow's signing papers, animal husbandry :lol: ) and the whole concept of it. It's so cool that Temple Grandin's (hey, I got it right! ;) ) mother and teachers recognized her potential. Fantastic!