San Francisco: My home city rates worst in the world.

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,699
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
That's right- my dearly beloved home city (I grew up on the peninsula and lived in The City for three years) rated worst travel destination in the world. Sad but true- read all about it here:

https://www.tripping.com/blog/blog/2012 ... stination/

HaHaHa!! My sister sent this link to me- I'm guessing because it's April 1st. The truth: it's the best city in the world!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    ever been to the grateful dead house on haight ashbury?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    I got to visit San Francisco on the way back from PJ20 and I think the cable cars were cool, the bridge was really impressive and the people were friendly. My only concerns came from the homelessness. Just brought to my attention just how bloody lucky we are in Australia, not that homelessness doesn't exist here because it does but just not to that extent.
    I saw a lot of tourists who didn't seem to be bothered or even telling them to 'f- off' and that made me really sad. I had a very old man who looked really skinny and very unwell who asked me for money and I felt really awful not being able to give him anything which is what I usually do over here. I was told strictly not to do it by our bus driver. :?
    I guess I just felt guilty being on holidays and all while there were lots of people who were struggling but I really did enjoy the place, certainly doesn't deserve that kind of rating.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,699
    chadwick wrote:

Probably, but I lived there in the late sixties, early seventies so I don't remember. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    brianlux wrote:
    That's right- my dearly beloved home city (I grew up on the peninsula and lived in The City for three years) rated worst travel destination in the world. Sad but true- read all about it here:

HaHaHa!! My sister sent this link to me- I'm guessing because it's April 1st. The truth: it's the best city in the world!

the truth is... youre mistaken on that. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    SF rules! great memories there ... my favorite was Muir Woods, I was a hobbit for a day! :D
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    chadwick wrote:

do you know how to block pms?
    www.myspace.com
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,789
    Crab

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Great city
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    This blogger states that the Golden Gate Bridge is an eyesore????? He must be trippin'.

I spent three summers as an intern in the bay area. The city, sites, atmosphere and architecture are pretty cool. It kind of has a side-show feel to it with a lot of oddities as well. It's a great place to visit.

There are lots of homeless, I must acknowledge. I had about a 15 block walk to work each day because I didn't have enough money for transit on an intern's budget. Each day I had to face a gauntlet of homeless beggars. At first I would feel guilty and give a dollar ... then I realized I would need to start begging too if I wanted a taco at the end of the day.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    brianlux wrote:

I gotta admit, that drive down Lombard Street will give you whiplash! Truly hazardous! :P ;)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    One of the biggest thrills for me recently was having one of my oldest and best friends and her husband move to the Noe Valley area of SF. Great friends, great place! And a fantastic city to walk in. I've walked hundreds of miles all over that city and never get enough. Must go visit soon!

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    The survey was carried out outside McDonalds ... enough said :lol:

I visited San Francisco in 94 when we traveled up from Seattle,I thought it was beautiful then,can it have changed so drastically?
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I call shenanigans! You can't post a blog on 3/31/12 and claim it is April Fools! :twisted:
    Jason P wrote:
    I call shenanigans! You can't post a blog on 3/31/12 and claim it is April Fools! :twisted:

It's a joke. My sister sent it to me and we had a great laugh. It was obviously just posted for fun- like something you might see in The Onion. My guess is the blogger loves the city just as much as my sister and I do. Only someone who loves the place could make up such a post. Read the article again- it's funny as hell and the photos are great- they show what a beautiful place the city is.

never drove across the golden gate bridge but used the other bridge down the way. i believe it is a multilevel bridge. about 5 years ago they were erecting a new bridge right next to this bridge i am speaking of. those ironworkers are insane.

anyhow, san fran and me tangled a bit back in my driving days. that damn oakland got me everytime. as in, oh shit i am lost, took the wrong exit but had no choice as the signs said me and my large truck had to exit the freeway this instant.

oakland has more liquor stores and bars over residences' windows than anywhere else i have been. called my boss who was in san fran @ fisherman's wharf waiting on me, told eem, dude i had to exit the freeway and now im fuckered up in oakland...."get the fuck out of there, chadwick! they just found a body in a suitcase the other day"

driving a 18 wheelers in and through traffic in san fran is a bizarre experience. what really makes driving a big truck difficult in places like san fran is all the construction and tight fitting places. everything is small and crammed together....congratulations i have a 53 ft trailer and a extra large freightliner tractor i'm gonna cram up your fanny here in about 13 seconds... i blocked more traffic in san fran than i can shake a stick at

well done city engineers and modern day huge ass commercial vehicales. friggin nightmare

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Funny article! SF truly is gorgeous, I feel so lucky to live so close by. Amazingly there are people out there who have a disdain for California in general which I can never understand. I figure they've either never been here, or are just plain jealous :)
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    I'm headed there (and napa) for a mini-vacation in about a week -- can't wait! Won't have nearly as much time in SF as we'd need to truly take it all in, but we'll have to make do.
    Funny article! SF truly is gorgeous, I feel so lucky to live so close by. Amazingly there are people out there who have a disdain for California in general which I can never understand. I figure they've either never been here, or are just plain jealous :)
    edit :twisted:

:lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    never drove across the golden gate bridge but used the other bridge down the way. i believe it is a multilevel bridge. about 5 years ago they were erecting a new bridge right next to this bridge i am speaking of. those ironworkers are insane.

That's The Bay Bridge, Chadwick. That bridge can be a scary monster (lots of traffic, a few harry curves and it's the one that had a section collapse in the '89 quake) but the view heading into the city west from Oakland is awesome. Once upon a time one deck was used for trains, one for cars. Despite it's faults it's a grand old bridge with a lot of history.