Thumb Drive-Compatible with Apple Question

LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I have to send a WORD document to a family member and they requested that I put it on a thumb drive that is compatible with an Apple. Aren't all Flash/Thumb Drives compatible with all computers - PC and Apple? Also, do I need to do anything to the file so they will be able to read it on their computer? I have Windows XP.

Thanks!
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Most thumb-drives are formatted fat-32. The mac can read and write this format. If the flash disk is NTFS- the mac can only read it, but not write to the flash drive.

Save file as RTF- rich text format- that is compatible with almost everything. Some of the fonts may be off. You could save it as a word file, but sometimes if you don't have the same or newer Word Application on the Mac, they may have problems opening the file.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    vduboise wrote:
    Most thumb-drives are formatted fat-32. The mac can read and write this format. If the flash disk is NTFS- the mac can only read it, but not write to the flash drive.

Save file as RTF- rich text format- that is compatible with almost everything. Some of the fonts may be off. You could save it as a word file, but sometimes if you don't have the same or newer Word Application on the Mac, they may have problems opening the file.
    perfect - thank you!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest