Drinking with Springsteen

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    DS1119 wrote:

I saw this last night. Bruce is fucking awesome...I mean, who else does that?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Are you going to the Albany show ?
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    DS1119 wrote:
    Are you going to the Albany show ?

I am not. Didn't even try for tickets. Didn't want the frustration. :lol:
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    I saw this when my wife was watching the Today show or one of those morning shows, pretty cool! I really like Bruce as a person, like the message in his lyrics, but I've tried and I just can't get into his music, just not for me. The interview with him in the last Rolling Stone was pretty good.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    dougfloyd wrote:
    I saw this when my wife was watching the Today show or one of those morning shows, pretty cool! I really like Bruce as a person, like the message in his lyrics, but I've tried and I just can't get into his music, just not for me. The interview with him in the last Rolling Stone was pretty good.

I hear you doug, I'm the same way. I like him in theory, but don't really listen much. I do like his voice, just not the music for the most part, but I like some stuff. Basically I own Born To Run and Greatest Hits, and I like a few assorted songs not on those albums, but I've never really gotten into him. I would go see him live though, assuming somebody else went through the headache of obtaining the tickets.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    That is so cool. That's something I could see Dave Grohl doing but until now I never thought Bruce would have ever done it.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    This is the sort of thing that keeps Bruce The Boss, 35 years into his career.

The man loves his fans.

Totally a class act. Always was. Always will be.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Very cool,he is someone I would like to get into as he seems such a great guy but I wouldn't know where to start with his back catalogue.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Very cool,he is someone I would like to get into as he seems such a great guy but I wouldn't know where to start with his back catalogue.

I can help you with that! :D

Start with Born To Run and Born in the USA. Those are the two albums that best represent what Springsteen was doing in the late 1970's (Born To Run) and 1980's (Born in the USA). Both are very accessible for people who don't know much about Springsteen and/or are not (yet) hardcore fans.

Springsteen has a ton of great albums...but those are the best ones for beginners, IMO.

If you like those, next steps would be The River, The Rising, and Magic.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

Start with Born To Run and Born in the USA. Those are the two albums that best represent what Springsteen was doing in the late 1970's (Born To Run) and 1980's (Born in the USA). Both are very accessible for people who don't know much about Springsteen and/or are not (yet) hardcore fans.

Springsteen has a ton of great albums...but those are the best ones for beginners, IMO.

I'd recommend Darkness on The Edge of Town as one of your first listens as well. My favorite Bruce album. :)
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    that is so badass, as someone said earlier who else does that. its usually the artist giving his beer to the crowd thats the thrill not the other way around. well done the boss.... thats why he is the boss
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
    Better Dan wrote:
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

I'd recommend Darkness on The Edge of Town as one of your first listens as well. My favorite Bruce album. :)

*nods*

Yeah...these little discussions are always a bit tricky cus people have slightly different opinions. That's why I put BitUSA and BtR first...I think nearly all Springsteen fans can agree that those are the most accessible albums for the beginner. I mean, really...it's pretty much impossible to dislike those two records, even if you have never heard a Springsteen song in your life.

After that, things become a bit more blurred. I think I'd put Darkness in the next group after the above though...in a group including Darkness, The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle (if for no other reason than for Rosalita! To me, the "Alive" of the Springsteen catalog!) Nebraska, Tunnel of Love and Working on a Dream. Or maybe I'd flip Darkness and The River. Tricky!

But what I'm going for here is accessibility...and music in each group that sort of spans his career.

My personal favorite album is still Born To Run. IMO, a perfect record in every way. That was the Springsteen record that made me a fan, back in the days when Rolling Stone was gushing over Nebraska and I was a young pup who just wanted to crank up a record and DANCE! Nebraska wasn't good for that, of course...so I went looking through the rest of the catalog to see what all the Rolling Stone-generated fuss was about....and came up with Born To Run.

Frakkin' album changed my life.

Sorta like Ten did! :lol:
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Bruce is a man of the people, and an honorary Philly boy, always brings his A game to our town.
    ^ In truth, I think Bruce brings his A-game to every town. I've never been to a sub-par Springsteen show.

I don't think there is a harder working rock star on the planet. I really don't. But the cool thing is that he loves every single MINUTE of that hard work....and it shows. Watching him in this video, it looks like he's just as excited to be there as he was in 1978.

And it's hard not to fall in love all over again with that level of enthusiasm. :D
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    Just awesome!! What a cool man!
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I hope he doesn't catch anything from drinking out of a stranger's cup...it is the cold/flu season!
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I hope he doesn't catch anything from drinking out of a stranger's cup...it is the cold/flu season!

:lol:
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    the blonde wanted to take him home
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Old age is treating this man well... he seems happier, more fun, he just makes me :D !
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    ^ In truth, I think Bruce brings his A-game to every town. I've never been to a sub-par Springsteen show.

I don't think there is a harder working rock star on the planet. I really don't. But the cool thing is that he loves every single MINUTE of that hard work....and it shows. Watching him in this video, it looks like he's just as excited to be there as he was in 1978.

And it's hard not to fall in love all over again with that level of enthusiasm. :D
    enthusiasm...gotta love that
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    :clap::clap::clap:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Better Dan wrote:
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

Darkness on the Edge of Town is my favorite too. Born to Run is second. I liked Born in the USA, but the rest of the 80's stuff I couldn't get into. Nor his more current stuff.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    dirty 1/4 backwash beer
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    I wasn't able to see the video, it said it's private :roll:
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."