Bicycles? Comfort Bikes?

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
So help me out here...

I havent a clue....
Size?
Make?
Model?

I want something that I can go put a few miles on in the morning before work, and a enjoy for an hour or 2 over the weekend.

Dont want to spend a ton of money....
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Go check out Sports Authority. not sure what a "ton of money" is

I bought a Diamond Back "hard tail" (meaning no shocks at the rear wheel) there.
    Great bike for around 350.00
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    if you are just looking to go short distances and efficiency is not important ... than just go get a beater used and have it tuned up ... you'll save quite a bit of money ...

paying more for bikes will either be in the components or in the material ... that makes the bike lighter, faster, more durable, more ergonomic, etc ... doesn't sound like you need that ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    So help me out here...

I havent a clue....
    Size?
    Make?
    Model?

I want something that I can go put a few miles on in the morning before work, and a enjoy for an hour or 2 over the weekend.

Dont want to spend a ton of money....

I love bike bike riding...and got a hybrid (a cross between a mountain bike and ten speed), you sit more straight up when your riding it. I find the 1st couple weeks riding it after the winter a little uncomfortable...but once your body gets into the swing of things its a nice ride.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    if you are just looking to go short distances and efficiency is not important ... than just go get a beater used and have it tuned up ... you'll save quite a bit of money ...

paying more for bikes will either be in the components or in the material ... that makes the bike lighter, faster, more durable, more ergonomic, etc ... doesn't sound like you need that ...

Good idea...usually police auctions have great deals on bikes.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I just bought a "Townie" bike made by Electra. I found a 3-speed for $200 off the internet used. I like it a lot and it is very comfortable to ride with no strain on the wrists. They make 1, 7, 8, and 21 speed versions as well. I was leery about the 3-speed but it was a great deal considering they go for around $550 brand new. So far the 3-speed has worked fine for casual riding. The way Electra positions their pedals makes it like riding an upright recumbent bike.

I would recommend checking out Electra's line. They also make a ton of cruiser bikes as well.

It is so much nicer to ride then my mountain bike. I can ride for hours instead of a maximum of 30 minutes.
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Looking at some reviews and I guess its a decent road/comfort bike for the money.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388

I bought a Diamond Back "hard tail" (meaning no shocks at the rear wheel) there.

My hubby's got a Diamondback too - last year we went on a spontaneous 26 mile bike ride and made it through with no issues. I've got a Trek, one of those hybrid things. Just make sure to get a really comfortable seat with padding and I think you'll be all good!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Mamasan23 wrote:

My hubby's got a Diamondback too - last year we went on a spontaneous 26 mile bike ride and made it through with no issues. I've got a Trek, one of those hybrid things. Just make sure to get a really comfortable seat with padding and I think you'll be all good!

yes, they make seats with gel in them :mrgreen:
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    The biggest things for comfort is 1. The seat Style and 2. the distance between the seat and the pedals 3. the height of the seat vs the height of the handlebars.

1. Seat Style: I have had really big seats (really fat with alot of gel padding) but I currently have a very skinny minimal padding. I can got atleast 5 miles further on the skinny seat than the big gel padded one before my discomfort levels equal out. This is probably personal preference, but don't count out the ones that look like they will hurt.

2. Seat height: let your legs be comfortably fully extended on the lowest point of the pedal turn.

3. You want the handle bars to be slightly higher than the seat so you aren't leaning on the handlebars lower than the seat.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
    Jason P wrote:
    I just bought a "Townie" bike made by Electra. I found a 3-speed for $200 off the internet used. I like it a lot and it is very comfortable to ride with no strain on the wrists. They make 1, 7, 8, and 21 speed versions as well. I was leery about the 3-speed but it was a great deal considering they go for around $550 brand new. So far the 3-speed has worked fine for casual riding. The way Electra positions their pedals makes it like riding an upright recumbent bike.

I would recommend checking out Electra's line. They also make a ton of cruiser bikes as well.

It is so much nicer to ride then my mountain bike. I can ride for hours instead of a maximum of 30 minutes.

hipster alert ... :lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    hipster alert ... :lol:
    I'm hip??? Cool! It's only the second time since PJ made flannel shirts cool for a few years.

8-)
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Definately the hybrid is the way to go. And great advice on the used bike. I made the mistake and bought a new one and wish I didn't. Waste of money. Also, I would recommend if you do go the used route get one from a bike shop. At least you know it will be tuned up and will probably stand behind it.
    Jason P wrote:
    I'm hip??? Cool! It's only the second time since PJ made flannel shirts cool for a few years.

8-)

noo no ... you confuse the term ... :P
    polaris_x wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

8-)

noo no ... you confuse the term ... :P
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrYJRkCmuFqt4oHu1eMfA6Pg32Au0edFOjHbbIkayF5l2hfItnag
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    DS1119 wrote:
    Definately the hybrid is the way to go. And great advice on the used bike. I made the mistake and bought a new one and wish I didn't. Waste of money. Also, I would recommend if you do go the used route get one from a bike shop. At least you know it will be tuned up and will probably stand behind it.
    So today I bought a Hybrid..
    Diamondback...
    At Dicks Sporting Goods......

Like the bike...
    Kathy and I did about 1 1/2 -2 hrs today..............

Had a Blast!!!!

Had some coupons..
    Opened up an account....
    Got the bike for a great price....
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    DS1119 wrote:
    So today I bought a Hybrid..
    Diamondback...
    At Dicks Sporting Goods......

Like the bike...
    Kathy and I did about 1 1/2 -2 hrs today..............

Had a Blast!!!!

Had some coupons..
    Opened up an account....
    Got the bike for a great price....

rat%252520ass.jpg

Kidding. Good for you. Biking is fun and great excercise. :thumbup:
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Seat Style: I have had really big seats (really fat with alot of gel padding) but I currently have a very skinny minimal padding. I can got atleast 5 miles further on the skinny seat than the big gel padded one before my discomfort levels equal out. This is probably personal preference, but don't count out the ones that look like they will hurt.

Skinny seats are the way to go for the long haul. I think the theory is that there is less body tissue touching the saddle. The more of you that is touching the saddle the more there is to chafe and bruise.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • So since I bought the bike, a few months ago, I have been saying to myself...
    This fucking bike just doesnt move like my old Schwinn 10-speed...
    Its just not the same...

Today I realized the poor bike has been dragging my FATASS around the city streets for 3 months...
    I should be THRILLED it hasnt fallen apart!!!

hehehehehehehehe

Love my bike...
    Best thing I have bought in YEARS!!!!!
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    Love my bike...

Absolutely agree. By far my best purchase of the summer.
    Because we all like to feel like kids again. Quite exhilarating.

:P
    Nice shirt.
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    So since I bought the bike, a few months ago, I have been saying to myself...
    This fucking bike just doesnt move like my old Schwinn 10-speed...
    Its just not the same...

Today I realized the poor bike has been dragging my FATASS around the city streets for 3 months...
    I should be THRILLED it hasnt fallen apart!!!

hehehehehehehehe

Love my bike...

Good for you Mike. Biking is pretty much the least painful exercise/enjoyment I get to do nowadays.

Stay healthy my friend & have fun riding :mrgreen: .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    does your bike has a big stereo system like your car??

so you can fuckin put loud "in my tree"..?? ;)

what a night we had..very special birthday for me that day..Unique !!! :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • does your bike has a big stereo system like your car??

It was a KICK ASS night!!!!

Indeed.
    Nice shirt.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549

Indeed.
    :wave: :wave: thank you both for that!!! :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    :wave: :wave: thank you both for that!!! :)

:D
    Nice shirt.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    this thread is useless w/out,......'

the thought of u and your love biking together is a must see :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......