My guitar is humming after pickup replacement? help?

dogfootbluesdogfootblues Posts: 116
edited April 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey. just replaced my single coil telecaster neck pickup with a p-90. Guitar center wanted $150 to do it so i thought this would be a good time to learn how to change and sodder pickups myself. well i finally got the pickups to work again. im new at this so it took a couple tries. but not when i pug y tele in theres a really loud annoying hum. everythings grounded. i checked 5 times. my cables are good. do i need a new pot? if i do where can i can a whole new pot, switch and tele replacement kit thats really a step above a standard. thanks guys
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• phungiphungi Posts: 641
    Telecasters are known for creating a buzz due to static charge on the pickguard.

There are sites that discuss this, as well as fixes (like this)

I have a Tele knock-off that had the same problem, and I shielded it with a combination of copper tape and aluminum foil... problem solved.
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • does it change with guitar volume increased or decreased?

in my experience p-90s are noisy and they do hum. if what was posted above does not work i would take it to some reputable repair shop to make sure you did everything correctly.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Yes. I have my Fender Blues deluxe reissue on 1 and a half, whice is living room loud. My tele volume was at full. Both pickups are humming on all three spots on the switch. Now when i turn the volume down on my tele kinda very low, but still high enough to hear it, the hum seems to dissapear. So what the fuck man. I was pumped when i heard the p-90, now im fucking bumed. What next?
  • Take pictures of the soldering joints and post them...

Also do you happen to be in a room where their is a dimmer switch controlling the lights?

What happens with the hum when you rotated your body with the guitar?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I just wanted to add that when the guitar is humming through the amplifier, when i touch the control plate, or the volume or tone knob the hum dissapears as well. i dunno, im taking the pics of the soldering joints now for you guys to look at
  • How do i add pics to my post reply? im new at this
  • Let me know guys if these pics arent good enough or close enough or the rite angle and ill take more and have them posted asap. what do u guys think?
  • Well the pictures are a bit small and blurry. It does appear there might be some cold solder joints.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Just letting anyone to cares to know know that the problem wasnt in the soldering but in a faulty 3 way switch. A little rewire and set up from the Tech will do my little tele justice.