Mom having a hard time

sleeplikeadogsleeplikeadog Posts: 156
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hello, I'm a 29 yr. old mom of an 18 month old, and I'm having a hard time. I don't even know where to begin, lol. I guess I'm not your typical "mom". When I was younger I NEVER wanted children, and spent all of my time playing punk rock music, and hanging out with weirdos, and I did that until I found out I was pregnant.
Now, I have my son, who is super awesome, and I have no problem being a good mommy to him. My problem is that I have a hard time relating to the other parents. We go to Gymboree, and the other parents are definitely different than my fiance and myself. He doesn't have a problem relating to them and getting along, but I do. They talk about shopping and all that girly stuff, and that's just not me. I want to talk about Les Pauls, shows, tattoos, and punk rock. Living in Austin it is/was easy for me to just stick to hanging out with people like myself and avoiding the "normal" people. Now I have to interact and try to "fit in" for the sake of my son and him having friends.
The other parents are nice to me, don't get me wrong, but I still sometimes get looks for the tattoos, and like I said, I just have a hard time relating other than the whole kid thing. Also, now I feel like I'm too weird for the normal people, and too normal for the weird people, so I'm, like, stuck in this weird place.
Anybody else go through something similar? any advice?
Walking is still honest
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I was the same age with my son. All my life I have never fit in.
    All our lives I've never fit in.

Now almost 30 years later the adult kids have only praise for that.
    Just be the kind of person you want your child to be,
    that would be my only advice.
    For me that was accepting and appreciative of others and life, friendly and independent.

Good luck ... enjoy! :D
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,789
    Your kid will appreciate you, and your eclectic tastes. You'll be the cool mom

That's all that matters

You'll actually be able to relate to your child
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    CROJAM95 wrote:

That's all that matters

This.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Conform ;)
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I don't have kids, but I do empathize. I have absolutely zero interest in talking about shopping, fashion, celebrity reality series, or what's going on with whomever.

You really are the cool mom. ;) And they may not know what to make of you, but... so what?

:)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182

When people believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. ~Norman Vincent Peale

We are each gifted in a unique and important way. It is our privilege and our adventure to discover our own special light. ~Mary Dunbar

You will be fine...continue to believe in yourself and shine your light unto your son and ALL will be well.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Thanks for the kind words. I guess one of my worries is that people will shun my son and treat him differently because of me and how I look. I don't care as much how people treat me, I'm an adult, I can handle it, but I would hate for people to treat him differently. Being a kid is hard enough
    Walking is still honest
  • kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    You would probably be amazed at how many people think the same way as you. There are probably people at the Gymboree who would love to get to know you but are shy, or feel intimidated or make assumptions or are feeling the very same thoughts as you are. I always felt different too, open yourself up a little & see what you find. 8-)
    Twenty-one years ago we moved to a small town not far from the city but it sure seemed like it. My daughter just started school & figure skating etc. & I found out real quick how clicky this place was. There were some real bitches here. And I found out, maybe not quite as quickly, that I was spending so much time trying to "fit in" I couldn't see the forest through the spindly trees. In looking past the old, dried up,stunted-growth, half-dead trees, I found the ever-green, blooming with life beautiful trees. We were all so different but we meshed & grew & our branches intertwined & now I have some of the best friends a girl could ask for. They love me for who I am, & I will not change for anyone but me.
    Besides, how extremely boring would life be if we were all the same?? Blech!! ;)
  • kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    Thanks for the kind words. I guess one of my worries is that people will shun my son and treat him differently because of me and how I look. I don't care as much how people treat me, I'm an adult, I can handle it, but I would hate for people to treat him differently. Being a kid is hard enough

Every child gets knocked down a time or two. All that matters to them is having someone to pick them up, brush them off, give them love, hugs & encouragement & send them off again. You can't love wrong when you love with your all of your heart. You sound amazing & you'll be fine!!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Thanks for the kind words. I guess one of my worries is that people will shun my son and treat him differently because of me and how I look. I don't care as much how people treat me, I'm an adult, I can handle it, but I would hate for people to treat him differently. Being a kid is hard enough
    I'd like to say this isn't going to happen but it will most likely. As a parent we can't shield
    them from others and how they judge or hurt our children.
    It happened to my children and what good has come from it immeasurable.
    They learned how not to treat others. How not to hurt those who are different,
    they learned how to be a good friend, this from their own suffering.
    Being proud of who you are is what you will pass on to your young man ...
    and no one can take that away from you and your family.
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    There's nothing wrong with you. Just like there's nothing wrong with those other people. Don't be hard on yourself.

It's natural to feel out of your element if you don't have any obvious connections or share the same interests as some of the others. I will bet you some very high stakes, though, that more than one of those other women are looking at you and wishing they had your tattoos or more of your "style." Seriously.

The only thing you need to focus on is being a good parent and raising a good young person. Part of this means being good to yourself because you deserve it. Don't waste time assuming that everyone else is being judgmental. Give them the same chance that you hope they give you. They might be intimidated by you. And for goodness sake, don't start watching that reality show garbage or thinking that you need to have it as a topic of conversation. I have a working theory that people who invest too heavily in those shows do so because they see them as a substitute for their own boring lives. Live your own interesting life.

One last thing: teach your kid how to play musical instruments. Any that you know. Let him grow up with you playing to him and having that emotional connection to you. Eye on the prize, you know?

Best wishes,

H^2
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    CROJAM95 wrote:

That's all that matters

This.

Agree

I am not a mum but my friend has a daughter,she actively avoided all the mumsy stuff,she is covered in tattoos,dyed hair,punk look.Her punk spirit would have died if she had began to hang with women who only ever talk about their kids and wear floral and sensible shoes.

What happened? Her daughter is almost 8 and she and her mum are the coolest people at school,her daughter makes friendships easily,she is fun bright and popular and my friend feels very happy with the choices she made.

Motherhood does not instantly mean conformity.I say do what you feel and embrace your individuality.Who know the other mums may admire and envy your spirit still to be you instead of just "mum".
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • JJ13769JJ13769 Posts: 10
    I am a proud Stay at Home dad. And trust me I am quite different than the other folks I come in contact with. From the way I look, to the foods my children eat. My children eat on sea weed for a snack. I get some looks from these parents at the playground and parks: you would think I was feeding them shit. At times it felt like I have a disability.(the past) My parenting style is different to the "normal" people. I use to shy away from conversations with other parents. They would not admit it but the more i talk the more they look up to me. (I think)
    It sounds like we have shared the same obstacles early in our parenting experience. (my kids are 18 months and my daughter going to be four soon) But hear this, they are unique, brave and healthy. I could go on and on about how my kids and our family has decided to take on this world, but to the point. Embrace what you have created and be proud of yourself for not following the line. And know, there are others out there that will support you and your family. All you have to do is continue being yourself and continue to love your child and everything else will fall into place.
    I am not on this board often, but if there is anything you would like to discuss feel free to contact me. I love talking about my children and I take great pride in the fact that my life is dedicated to them. I am certainly not saying that my way is the only way or being different is the best way, but "our way" is our only way. And our love is strong. My Email address is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:JWJ4022@yahoo.com">JWJ4022@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->.

Jason
    jason jablon
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    When my son was little I took him to all kinds of things. Some were better than others and over the years I've made some good friends.

I would say that sometimes the people who look and seem the most 'normal' are the most hilarious wacky people around. Judging a book by it's cover goes both ways.

I'm a very ordinary looking, vegetarian who has musical tastes that are quite different from her friends. But variety is the spice of life! The good friends I have I treasure, they're different ages, backgrounds and tastes. That's one of the many advantages of having a child, a chance to meet new people.

Try lots of different things, they'll be something for you out there.
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I've already raised 4 sons, and was always the *different* mom. I've always been super into nature, I've been this way since birth, always marching to the beat of a different drummer. I was very different for the time I grew up in and living in suburbia. I was never into typical girl/women things. I remained true to myself during my parenting years. I'd spend every available moment of my kid free time up at the Hawk Watch, birding, nature watching or hiking instead of heading out shopping, to a friends or out for coffee. Yeah everyone thought I was weird, but so what? My kids had a happy mom, and I became the go to nature person. I always did nature talks in my kids classrooms, bringing in cool herps for them to see. Now that I'm older its pretty neat, I am a licensed Wildlife Rehabber, Certified Naturalist, Official counter for HMANA , I've recently been interviewed for a local publication, started doing wildlife talks, I'm constantly field phone calls from the public about wildlife issues, and have been asked to lead nature walks. Just wish I could get paid for all this! :lol:

Be true to you....always. Your son will adore you for it.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Stay strong.....and true to yourself as others have said. You never know.....the ones you think are looking at you funny may be wishing they could be as cool as you!! 8-)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    Mom's are the best your kid will think you are don't worry about stuff you can't fix
    like what others think of you
  • CBC291417CBC291417 Posts: 22
    Haven’t read all the post but agreeing with the ones I did read… As long as you and your son have an awesome relationship that is all that matters. Being a mom doesn’t mean your life ends and all you care about is the mom/wife stuff. I’m 33 and my son is 4, did the Little Gym thing as well and didn’t “make friends” with any of the parents. On the outside I look “normal” but people seem to not get me so I have very few close friends and that’s fine with me. My best friend doesn’t have any kids, very different from me in a lot of ways but she gets me than anyone…she lives in Austin btw :D
    As for the girly stuff... I don’t think of myself as a tomboy but I am definitely not into most of the typical woman/girly things. I’m a single mom as well so that also puts me on a different level since every parent I’ve met is married.
    We get invited to bday parties all the time now, very easy to excuse myself if I can’t handle the bs talk anymore. More fun to watch my son have a good time anyway.

Like someone else mentioned there are many more people out there that think exactly the way you do ;)
  • Wow! Thanks everybody!! You've made me feel a little better about everything. I've just been feelin' it alot lately because I haven't felt "different" in a negative way in years. My son is super happy and cute, though!!!! And I know that is all that matters. thanks again!
    Walking is still honest
  • GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Posts: 3,076
    pandora wrote:
    I'd like to say this isn't going to happen but it will most likely. As a parent we can't shield
    them from others and how they judge or hurt our children.
    It happened to my children and what good has come from it immeasurable.
    They learned how not to treat others. How not to hurt those who are different,
    they learned how to be a good friend, this from their own suffering.
    Being proud of who you are is what you will pass on to your young man ...
    and no one can take that away from you and your family.

Can I adopt you? I mean, my mom is great but one can never have too many "moms".

seriously, great advice :clap:
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I can totally relate. My kids are now 7 & 4 and I work school hours, but when they were little I always found it hard to fit in with the other mums, even now I found it hard to relate to the school mums - most of who don't work and live quite priviledged lives.

I used to take my kids to all sorts of activities like music and gym etc and didn't really care if I made friends or what the other parents thought of me or my children. I now have a cool group of mum friends who as Claire said are pretty normal looking but pretty wacky individuals.

Being a parent is an awesome, rewarding, hard, tiring, isolating job. It can be heart breaking to think that you are losing your identity - just remember you are still you. Good luck 8-)
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Hello, I'm a 29 yr. old mom of an 18 month old, and I'm having a hard time. I don't even know where to begin, lol. I guess I'm not your typical "mom". When I was younger I NEVER wanted children, and spent all of my time playing punk rock music, and hanging out with weirdos, and I did that until I found out I was pregnant.
    Now, I have my son, who is super awesome, and I have no problem being a good mommy to him. My problem is that I have a hard time relating to the other parents. We go to Gymboree, and the other parents are definitely different than my fiance and myself. He doesn't have a problem relating to them and getting along, but I do. They talk about shopping and all that girly stuff, and that's just not me. I want to talk about Les Pauls, shows, tattoos, and punk rock. Living in Austin it is/was easy for me to just stick to hanging out with people like myself and avoiding the "normal" people. Now I have to interact and try to "fit in" for the sake of my son and him having friends.
    The other parents are nice to me, don't get me wrong, but I still sometimes get looks for the tattoos, and like I said, I just have a hard time relating other than the whole kid thing. Also, now I feel like I'm too weird for the normal people, and too normal for the weird people, so I'm, like, stuck in this weird place.
    Anybody else go through something similar? any advice?

Just start talking about "concerts" etc. You might be surprised that many Moms still have an interest beyond the "normal" mommy stuff.

And don't forget to go out with your friends and do "grown up" things without your small child. If you can find a sitter for just a few hours every so often would help too.

The first few years can be tough on a new parent. Hang in there :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    pandora wrote:
    I was the same age with my son. All my life I have never fit in.
    All our lives I've never fit in.

Now almost 30 years later the adult kids have only praise for that.
    Just be the kind of person you want your child to be,
    that would be my only advice.
    For me that was accepting and appreciative of others and life, friendly and independent.

Good luck ... enjoy! :D

I do not have children so I do not have experience with which to offer a lot of parenting advice. But I do have experience being a non-conformist who never feels like they fit in - for me, it's probably a result of my profession because I never felt like the odd duck until I went to work at my first professional job (I'm a CPA...but I am about the most 'bohemian' CPA you will EVER meet! None of my colleagues know what to make of me at all outside the numbers). And Pandora's advice is absolutely brilliant, IMO.

Pandora - wish I had met you IRL when I lived in Atlanta. You are one COOL lady. You really are.

All you can be is who you are. It might not fit the mold of what people 'expect'...but since you really can't change to suit others without being miserable yourself, you just have to be the best 'you' you can be for your kiddo...and hope that you can find a few friends who will 'get' what you are about.

I am an aunt to a high school senior and a college sophomore....and I can tell you that out of 9 aunts and uncles they have, they are by far closest to me. I think because, while I tried to instill good values, etc...I also instilled in both of them the idea that it's okay...and even COOL to be different. :) And I didn't do that by just saying it, while I looked and acted like 'country club mom'. I did it be actually BEING different, and giving myself permission to do that, regardless of what others 'expected'. Sometimes at great professional cost...but oh well. I am who I am.

I Am Mine and all that. :P
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Sounds like me, except I hate my own local ethnic community which my friends tend to associate with. And I cannot relate to anything or anyone at these stupid bars and clubs my friend makes me go to with him.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Hi there, :wave:
    I have a 19 month old little girl and I find the exact same problem. I take her to the library for story time and to playgroup and I can't stand most of the boring, monotonous convos either. 'My little Winston hates banana, I give him apple and sometimes pear.....blah blah blah" :lol::lol: Just because you don't relate to them doesn't mean you don't love your child. You tried didn't you? ;)
    I guess just keep yourself open though because they are not all like that. I find some of the Mums at the playgroup down right obnoxious, they even have little cliques! :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014