Black Keys Fuzz

kjw818kjw818 Posts: 96
edited April 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luwp5iZD8wQ
Someone please tell me how i can get this tone. I've always heard Dan used a Maestro MFZ-1 for this but that's pretty rare so what would be a good substitute? A muff?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    PING All Those Yesterdays
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • It's been said a lot that the Maestro Fuzz was used a bunch in those early records. I believe you even see it the DVD "The Black Keys Live" Which is from a show down under during The Rubber Factory Tour. But it has been a few years since I've scene that DVD. Now in photos in more recent tours prior to him going the midi controller route, I haven't seen that pedal in the rig.

I've also seen Solasound Tone Benders (which Fulltone makes a copy of the Tone bender and they make a MKII circuit). Old Ibanez Standard Fuzz (two slider set up). And the Green Russian Made Big Muff Pi.

People make clones of the Maestro Fuzz and most of the old Germanium Fuzz'es but they are hit or miss. Fulltone in my opinion does the best job...

Now in interviews Dan has stated that he typically uses small low wattage combos. He recreates that tone in Thickfreakness pretty well live with much higher wattage amps... Week in mind he has that 8x10 cabinet in the live rig, and with the low end growl Dan gets, that makes the most sense. Also he was know to use the coil type guitar chords. Which if anyone has experience with them they seem to scoop the highs some and almost add like a mid boost to them.

In the end a germanium fuzz is required, and the amp either needs to be breaking up pretty good. Or you'll need a good overdrive pedal going as well. Just make sure the fuzz is the first to receive the guitars signal. He likes his humbuckers as well...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... ects-pedal
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • The Jensens in the 8x10 shocked me...

It's not on tour let but he is having to custom 8x8 cabinets made. They will be loaded with Weber Chicago series AlNiCo speakers... I can't wait to hear that...

And the green Big muff.... Love that pedal
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Look into the Earthquaker Devices "Hoof" fuzz and or the Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian (my current favorite green muff fuzz)

The stone bender is my personal favorite bender at the moment but it's kind of pricey.

There are lots of ways to get that kind of nasty fuzz sound and you'll figure it out as you peruse various selections but I just really like the above 2 for that sound.

If you're having a hard time locating those you could try the ZVex distortron as well.

Good writeup ATY!
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Look into the Earthquaker Devices "Hoof" fuzz and or the Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian (my current favorite green muff fuzz)

The stone bender is my personal favorite bender at the moment but it's kind of pricey.

There are lots of ways to get that kind of nasty fuzz sound and you'll figure it out as you peruse various selections but I just really like the above 2 for that sound.

If you're having a hard time locating those you could try the ZVex distortron as well.

Good writeup ATY!

Whats going on stranger?

Hoof is extremely interesting to me. Cuff and tail does seem to have the big fat low end of what I like with the Russian made Green Pi big muff. Like i said most of the time that pedal seems more set up for bass then guitar. When you use it on guitar you really have to focus on the bass tone to make sure it doesn't get lost in the mix. Hope all is well Paco...

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Indeed, life is good!

Looks like you're doing well too.

It is tough to get the bass right on fuzzes to keep it focused but then, sometimes... you want splatty. I like to use the Octron and my JHF1 fuzz for "I got mine"
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.