Quotes from books

titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
just been reading the interview with a vampire book, and liked this quote from it.

"people who cease to believe in god or goodness altogether still believe in the devil, i don't know why. No i indeed know why. Evil is always possible. And goodness is eternally difficult.

do you have any quotes you like.
Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    “…made me promise to cut down on the drinking and swearing, which I have.
    Unfortunately, this has left me dim-witted and nearly speechless.”

― Nelson DeMille, The Lion
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    pandora wrote:
    “…made me promise to cut down on the drinking and swearing, which I have.
    Unfortunately, this has left me dim-witted and nearly speechless.”

― Nelson DeMille, The Lion
    :) i like that one
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Best line I've ever read...Stephen King, Dark Tower I & VII
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    Not from a book but I like it anyway:

"you know what I like about High School Girls?????? I keep getting older and they stay the same age"
  • PapPap Posts: 28,781
    All men by nature desire to know. An indication of this is the delight we take in our senses; for even apart from their usefulness they are loved for themselves; and above all others the sense of sight. For not only with a view to action, but even when we are not going to do anything, we prefer seeing (one might say) to everything else. The reason is that this, most of all the senses, makes us know and brings to light many differences between things. --- Aristotle, Metaphysics 980a (ca. 330 B.C.)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    quimby20 wrote:
    Not from a book but I like it anyway:

"you know what I like about High School Girls?????? I keep getting older and they stay the same age"
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Dazed and confused ... love that film :D
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Best line I've ever read...Stephen King, Dark Tower I & VII

:thumbup:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,802
    "Nevermore"- The Raven
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • About ten years ago or so I read a book entitled Talking it over by Julian Barnes, I read it for school, I didn't like it much, it wasn't that interesting, but I felt sympathy for the main character and I felt he was a cool guy, though I didn't see myself in him... the thing is that he used a phrase a lot, and I think it is a very cool phrase, and I use it everywhere, even here, in fact, sometimes, when sending emails, I have to erase the signature since it is that phrase, which reads...

I AM NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF BEING LIKED ANYMORE

it doesn't say too much about me, in fact, quite the opposite, however, I believe it is a good phrase, and it comes in handy from time to time, in specific situations with certain kind of people...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

“Most guys arrived here normal, and they were shocked and sickened by the behavior of the guys who'd been here a while. Then within a few weeks, they'd stop being shocked, and within a few months a lot of them joined the club of the crazies. And most of them, I think, went home and became normal again, though some didn't. But I never once saw anyone here who had gone around the bend ever return to normal while they were still here. It only got worse because in this environment they'd lost any sense of. . . humanity. Or you could be nice and say they'd become desensitized. It was actually more frightening than sickening. A guy who'd sliced off the ear of a VC he'd killed that morning would be joking with the village kids and the old Mama-sans that afternoon and handing out candy. I mean, they weren't evil or psychotic, we were normal, which is what really scared the hell out of me.”

― Nelson DeMille, Up Country
  • PapPap Posts: 28,781
    I was a man who thrived on solitude; without it I was like another man without food or water. Each day without solitude weakened me. I took no pride in my solitude; but I was dependent on it. The darkness of the room was like sunlight to me. --- Charles Bukowski, Factorum
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort." - The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
    "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    "Whatever we ain't got, that's what you want. God a'mighty, if I was alone I could live so easy. I could go get a job an' work, an no trouble. No mess at all, and when the end of the month come I could take my fifty bucks and go into town and get whatever I want."

- John Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    “Our individuality is all, all, that we have. There are those who barter it for security, those who repress it for what they believe is the betterment of the whole society, but blessed in the twinkle of the morning star is the one who nurtures it and rides it in, in grace and love and wit, from peculiar station to peculiar station along life's bittersweet route.”

― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    (about America) "This is the only country in the world," said Wednesday, into the stillness, "That worries about what it is."

(Shadow) "What"

"The rest of them know what they are. No one ever needs to go searching for the heart of Norway. Or looks for the soul of Mozambique. They know what they are.

American Gods, Neil Gaiman
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” - Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Rollings wrote:
    “Our individuality is all, all, that we have. There are those who barter it for security, those who repress it for what they believe is the betterment of the whole society, but blessed in the twinkle of the morning star is the one who nurtures it and rides it in, in grace and love and wit, from peculiar station to peculiar station along life's bittersweet route.”

LOVE THIS
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    "
    "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
    Probably my favorite all time. I love this.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    You all have posted some great quotes some i know some i liked. This one is not thought provoking too much but i stil love it

"Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical,” he told Haldon, “the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It’s the ones who believe in gods that make the trouble.” — Tyrion Lannister in A Dance with Dragons
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    “It occurred to me that the problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you are finished.”
    ― Nelson DeMille, Plum Island

I adore Nelson :D
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    “The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are things you get ashamed of, because words make them smaller. When they were in your head they were limitless; but when they come out they seem to be no bigger than normal things. But that's not all. The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried; they are clues that could guide your enemies to a prize they would love to steal. It's hard and painful for you to talk about these things ... and then people just look at you strangely. They haven't understood what you've said at all, or why you almost cried while you were saying it.”

― Stephen King, The Body
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Lizard wrote:
    “The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are things you get ashamed of, because words make them smaller. When they were in your head they were limitless; but when they come out they seem to be no bigger than normal things. But that's not all. The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried; they are clues that could guide your enemies to a prize they would love to steal. It's hard and painful for you to talk about these things ... and then people just look at you strangely. They haven't understood what you've said at all, or why you almost cried while you were saying it.”

― Stephen King, The Body

:clap: Man he really captured what it was like being 12 years old in that story...so amazing!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • “By then I knew that everything good and bad left an emptiness when it stopped. But if it was bad, the emptiness filled up by itself. If it was good you could only fill it by finding something better.”

“They say the seeds of what we will do are in all of us, but it always seemed to me that in those who make jokes in life the seeds are covered with better soil and with a higher grade of manure.”

“If the reader prefers, this book may be regarded as fiction. But there is always the chance that such a book of fiction may throw some light on what has been written as fact.”

“Drinking wine was not a snobbism nor a sign of sophistication nor a cult; it was as natural as eating and to me as necessary...”

-Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast
    05/19/06 Grand Rapids, MI
    05/07/10 Noblesville, IN
    09/03/11 Alpine Valley, WI
    09/04/11 Alpine Valley, WI
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:
    “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” - Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

One of my favorite books :)
    05/07/10 Noblesville, IN
  • intodeep wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    "

Love this series and it makes me think of the movies that are also my favorite as well. VERY COOL AVATAR by the way! Love Vader. Not a Yankees fan though - haha!!
    05/07/10 Noblesville, IN
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Pap wrote:
    I was a man who thrived on solitude; without it I was like another man without food or water. Each day without solitude weakened me. I took no pride in my solitude; but I was dependent on it. The darkness of the room was like sunlight to me. --- Charles Bukowski, Factorum

One of my favourites,ever :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Rollings wrote:

LOVE THIS

I love it too. It's my motto.

Whenever I'm hesitant about doing something......I think of the above

.....and do it

tumblr_lzd7y0d3sU1r5zla6.gif
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    "What rat bastard psychotic would play that song at this very moment?"
    -Hunter S Thompson

I quoted Hunter's line from that book in my own book referring to being at a frat party on mushrooms while KC and the Sunshine Band was playing incessently.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
    intodeep wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    "

Love this series and it makes me think of the movies that are also my favorite as well. VERY COOL AVATAR by the way! Love Vader. Not a Yankees fan though - haha!!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22