Ever experience Mother Natures wrath?

drinkbigredinsteaddrinkbigredinstead Posts: 2,240
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anyone here experienced an extreme force of nature? I’m just curious. Last night as I sat at home watching tornado warning after tornado warning go off I started wondering.

Dimitrispearljam commented on another thread how earthquakes are fairly common in his area, but no experience with tornados and I'm curious if anyone has an experience.

I have been through 1 tornado. The water was sucked out of the pool, ping pong table was never seen again, the roof ripped off and the cat got sucked up too . It was just as most describe it, we were at a slumber party and the dog woke us up at 7 am pacing and whimpering. I tried to let her out and she refused to step outside the door, barking instead. Next thing I know there is an odd quiet, like the sound was sucked out of the house then a huge boom and then all we could see was gray swirls. My friends’ mom ran out of her room yelling for us to go to her bathroom and get in the tub. We made it half way down the hallway when someone tripped and we all fell. I remember looking over at the bookcase and seeing the cat on top and the pages of the books turning. Next thing we knew it was over then all you could hear was the chaos of people yelling outside. Gas lines had ruptured; houses were on fire but thankfully no human deaths. News reported it was an F1 which is usual for hurricane spawned tornados.

My second round with Mother Nature was when we were evacuated from a beach house. We had rented a beach front home for a week for summer break. The 2nd morning we woke up to people hammering looked out the window and our neighbors were putting up plywood on the windows…not something you like to see. We hadn’t been watching the news since we spent the days on the beach and nights watching movies so it was a surprise. The owners of the house called to let us know the storm was expected to be only a category 1 so we could ‘ride it out’ and to expect the beach house to sway as that what is was designed to do. NO THANK YOU. Later that afternoon the local police came to tell us to leave as the storm was getting stronger.

Anyone else have a story or two??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    No not really, I was vacationing down in the outer banks the week Hurricane Hugo hit, but the only thing was the water was coming onto the streets the day we left. We couldn’t go in the water because of the swells, and after we left, the bridge between the mainland and Cape Hatteras was knocked out. Had we been there, we would have been stuck.

But we got out in time.

Looking at the ocean with all those powerful swells is quite something to see though.
  • Was in Florida in Oct 2005 for Hurricane Wilma. Wasn;t as powerful as Katrina, but got up to a good Cat 3. we were in Sunrise locked down in my mates bro in law with a trough of beer. Went out as the eye passed over and it was really strange. Very little cloud and no wind. Then soon after mother kicked off again.

I was in awe
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 691
    Nothing too intense..there are a lot of earthquakes in Japan so I've experienced a few of those..and typhoons as well. One year it was a pretty severe typhoon and two HUGE trees fell, one right in front of our front door, and the other right smack dab in the middle of the backyard.
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    a tornado
    tore the roof from the garage and dropped it upside down across the yard without breaking the light bulb
    and missed the house entirely
    destroyed a huge grapevine built on pylons, circled around and uprooted huge pecan trees and left the tomato plants between still standing
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I live in Texas which is the southern end of Tornado Alley. I've been through many severe storms and had tornadoes pass within 2-3 miles of my house. The scariest one for me was a hailstorm in May 1995. It was a Friday night and my husband's band had a gig in a small town about 50 miles west, so I was home by myself. When it started hailing, I grabbed the dogs and got into the bathroom. It seemed to last forever and the noise was horrible. I was terrified and felt completely helpless.

Right in the middle of the storm my husband called. Thinking I might have seen something about the storm on TV, he wanted to tell me that they had driven through some hail on their way. The car had a little damage but they were OK. I yelled at him, "Well, I'm NOT OK! Come home RIGHT NOW!" He told me there was no point in him coming home, the storm would be passed when he got there, and just sit tight.

After it was over, I walked around the house. The windows were all broken on the west side of the house. The ground was covered with baseball sized hailstones. Our patio furniture had huge dents. It was even worse for my next door neighbors. Part of their roof collapsed. I grabbed a couple of hailstones and stuck them in the freezer to show the insurance adjuster.

For a long time after that, all around town you saw lots of cars all bashed in by hailstones. It took months to get my car into a body shop for repairs, they were all so busy.

I've always had a healthy respect for spring storms but I think that was the most scared I've ever been.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    edited March 2012
    We have a house on the mainland part of Bogue sound, right on the water near the SOBX of NC. Points of reference are Morehead City, Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle. We were having a small family reunion with my gransparents who hadn't been to the house in years. They have to come down in a van with a nurse. Well, it was short lived because 1998 or 1999 Hurricane Dennis cam through. Everyone left before Dennis came except for my uncle, sister, finance and myself. We descided to ride it out. It mostly hit at night. It isn't a raised house so we had a small amount of water downstairs and some siding was ripped off. Not too bad when all said and done. The next day the t-shirt shops were selling I survived hurricane Dennis shirts.

This house had water in it 6ft high from Fran and another hurricane in '95 & '96. The washer and dryer wound up in different rooms of the house. We also lost our 50ft pier from these 2 canes.

It probably wasn't the smartest decision we ever made.
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Was in Florida in Oct 2005 for Hurricane Wilma. Wasn;t as powerful as Katrina, but got up to a good Cat 3. we were in Sunrise locked down in my mates bro in law with a trough of beer. Went out as the eye passed over and it was really strange. Very little cloud and no wind. Then soon after mother kicked off again.

I was in awe

My grandfather lived in South Carolina and mentioned several 'hurricane parties'. A bunch of people would bring food and drink and hole up in the second floor of the strongest building they could find.
  • Jason78Jason78 Posts: 400
    I've personally experienced some violent diarrhea a few times in my day.
  • spencer958spencer958 Posts: 279
    We just had about 10 tornado's tear thru Kentucky and Indiana a couple of weeks ago. One wiped out a whole town of about 3,000 people out(West Liberty, KY). Destroyed just about every building in the town. The closest one to me was about 20 minutes from my house. My father in law lives in the county right next to West Liberty and he said it just missed him. He stayed in the basement under a mattress for about an hour. I think overall they killed about 30 people. Here's a link of a school getting destroyed in Henryville, IN. About 80 kids and teachers were trapped in the school and no ones was hurt.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/1 ... 55404.html
  • DAMONDAMON Posts: 256
    Im like WHO PRINCESS was in La now Tx, have been through so many hurricanes cant count. Down here we have storm parties, we own generators only for storms. You can tell how bad it is if you have to power wash debris off the house, or drag the washer inside to blow out the 3 inches of mud. We "had" a camp on the La coast that was 14 feet off the ground and in Catrina we had 4 feet of water upstairs, so thats about a 20 foot storm surge and some thing the news never covers when there is a storm offshore all the water get sucked out, last time our pier was about 20 feet out into the water b4 the storm you couldn't see the water, at least miles!
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Wow, crazy stories. Good thread.

I was in a few hurricanes in Florida. Jeanne and Wilma a few years back. I think it was Wilma where the eye of the storm came over us. It was creepy.

The worst thing I ever saw though, was the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew in Homestead Florida. Luckily I was living in north florida at the time, but I drove to the Keys a few months after, and there was still shit everywhere -- neighborhoods leveled. It brought a lot of attention to builders constructing houses that didn't meet code requirements.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,699
    I was visiting my brother-in-law at his house in western NY sate and watched a ball of lightening roll around his house before erupting in a sonic maelstrom that practically shook the place to the ground. The next year (still living in western NY) we were hit with an ice storm and I watched a tree literally break in half and crush a neighbors garage. The same storm whipped brown froth off of Lake Erie and made all the house along the lake look like gingerbread houses- a very strange sight! And traveling though South Dakota one year while camping out in my van the radio was announcing tornado warnings. The tornado didn't hit us but a bolt of lightening did- it ran down the radio antenna and blew out my starter solenoid. Scary, but fun!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    Yep lightning ... that's some crazy ass shit up close

can split a tree right next to you and you'll think you died
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    been thru 3-4 earthquakes here...Nisqually Quake included (that's the 6.8). I remember being at work and some people who had never been in an earthquake freaked out and started running around, trying to take the elevator. I was by the window, and took a quick peek outside...it's weird to see the concrete 'ripple', then I crawled under my desk. People started screaming :roll: Ok, I'll admit since we were in a building that was 'earthquake retrofitted' it's a little scarier since the building sways so much...I mean the floor bounced when people walk down the hall. Everything was over in less than a minute.

I just barely remember when Mt St. Helen's erupted in 1980...ash everywhere.

During the Clinton Inauguration (in 93) we had a huge windstorm...90MPH winds...knocked out power everywhere. I remember being at school, and they tried to corral everybody into the cafeteria/commons. Most of the students couldn't leave since a huge tree had fallen and was blocking the main entrance/driveway. Also a live power line was down in the same area. We had to wait till work crews could clear it so the busses could get in. The Senior lot was there too...so most of the lower classmen (who parked in the upper lot) were able to leave.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I live in Texas which is the southern end of Tornado Alley. I've been through many severe storms and had tornadoes pass within 2-3 miles of my house. The scariest one for me was a hailstorm in May 1995. It was a Friday night and my husband's band had a gig in a small town about 50 miles west, so I was home by myself. When it started hailing, I grabbed the dogs and got into the bathroom. It seemed to last forever and the noise was horrible. I was terrified and felt completely helpless.

Right in the middle of the storm my husband called. Thinking I might have seen something about the storm on TV, he wanted to tell me that they had driven through some hail on their way. The car had a little damage but they were OK. I yelled at him, "Well, I'm NOT OK! Come home RIGHT NOW!" He told me there was no point in him coming home, the storm would be passed when he got there, and just sit tight.

After it was over, I walked around the house. The windows were all broken on the west side of the house. The ground was covered with baseball sized hailstones. Our patio furniture had huge dents. It was even worse for my next door neighbors. Part of their roof collapsed. I grabbed a couple of hailstones and stuck them in the freezer to show the insurance adjuster.

For a long time after that, all around town you saw lots of cars all bashed in by hailstones. It took months to get my car into a body shop for repairs, they were all so busy.

I've always had a healthy respect for spring storms but I think that was the most scared I've ever been.

I live in Texas too, south Texas though, so we get to be on the southern tip of Tornado Alley AND we have to worry about tornados generated from hurricanes that hit the Texas coast.

The tornados from hurricans are the scary to me as there are usually more than 1. Yes they are smaller than the average tornado but a tornado none the less.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    little rain, little snow, little wind....nothing serious.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    We had an earthquake last year here while I was at work

Very strange feeling and not so good feeling of being helpless

It was around a 5...got us out of work for about an hour

:P
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I live in Texas too, south Texas though, so we get to be on the southern tip of Tornado Alley AND we have to worry about tornados generated from hurricanes that hit the Texas coast.

The tornados from hurricans are the scary to me as there are usually more than 1. Yes they are smaller than the average tornado but a tornado none the less.
    I've seen those kinds of tornadoes and I agree, they are pretty scary. My mom is from Galveston and I have spent a lot of time there.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."