Frozen Planet

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
its finally airing in the US. Planet Earth and Life are two of my favorite documentaries of all time. so inspiring and some of the most incredible photography ive ever seen. i sit in awe for the entire episode.

Any ways the first episode of Frozen Planet the new documentary series just aired last night.

Seems just as amazing as the first 2.

Watching that buffalo, get attacked by wolves and struggle to get away and then as the narrator said "whether by accident or on purpose" one of his fellow buffalo ran into him causing the first buffalo to fall and allowed the wolves to overpower him.

this made me wonder: do animals or mammals or any other living creature help out or try and rescue loved ones and friends from danger? i know mother and father bears for instance, if some predator was trying to take the cubs away the father and mother bears would protect the cub. but if some predator actually got the cubs would the parents attack the other predator to rescue their cubs?

i was sort of struck by the idea that none of the other buffalo tried to rescue their "friend". obviously they were trying to survive and stay alive, but still...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

Would have been so cool to witness in person.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    This from the frozen planet take a look at the video....
    http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/ ... orm=MSNRLL

I thought it was amazing watching that in HD

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    LOVED IT! Be looking forward to it for awhile. Didn't disappointed and i would highly recommend it.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I watched it last night. It had spectacular visuals and captured some great moments. I especially liked the Orcas using teamwork to get their seal.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    love this!
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    its finally airing in the US. Planet Earth and Life are two of my favorite documentaries of all time. so inspiring and some of the most incredible photography ive ever seen. i sit in awe for the entire episode.

Any ways the first episode of Frozen Planet the new documentary series just aired last night.

Watching that buffalo, get attacked by wolves and struggle to get away and then as the narrator said "whether by accident or on purpose" one of his fellow buffalo ran into him causing the first buffalo to fall and allowed the wolves to overpower him.

this made me wonder: do animals or mammals or any other living creature help out or try and rescue loved ones and friends from danger? i know mother and father bears for instance, if some predator was trying to take the cubs away the father and mother bears would protect the cub. but if some predator actually got the cubs would the parents attack the other predator to rescue their cubs?

i was sort of struck by the idea that none of the other buffalo tried to rescue their "friend". obviously they were trying to survive and stay alive, but still...

Survival of the fittest. Darwin's theory of Evolution. I can't answer your questions factually but I can only assume that it is the only way to survive in that situation. One animal is being targeted, put him down so the rest can escape and survive. Did you see how many wolves there were? If more buffalo had stopped to help, they surely would have been prey as well.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I saw it more as the buffalo putting its friend out out its misery and ending it quickly.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    What channel is it on? Gotta catch up!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280

As far as your question regarding helping "loved ones" from danger, I will need to reply via a computer...on my iPad now...for that. In short, yes. From the evolutionary biologists prospective, we are all here to pass on our genes/DNA to the next generation. Humans, animals...all life forms will protect ones progeny to assure the passage of ones genes forward. :)
  • mca47 wrote:
    What channel is it on? Gotta catch up!

discovery channel
  • your responses certainly make sense, i just wondered why their seemed to be that dichotomy. A human walking up to a bear clan and trying to touch or take a bear cub, would be met with angry roars and defensive behavior on the part of the mother and father bear. a bear may indeed go after the predator who would dare take their cub, but yeah, in general i dont get the sense many other animals or mammals would go after and try and rescue their child or "friend". I just though that dichotomy was interesting. That theyd be so protective of someone or something initially taking their baby, but once it was taken they wouldnt stalk the kidnapper and try and kill the attacker and get their child back. maybe its also how confident the animals or mammals feel. A bear could easily overpower a human, but it seemed like the buffalo were no match for the wolves, so to take the wolves on would have been pointless.

but certainly survival of the fittest makes sense in these situations.

oh and the catapiller that lived for 14 years and "froze to death" every winter, then thawed out. That insane neon and changing color jellyfish type creature. or the norwhal and how they dealt with oncoming "traffic".

the penguins and trying to escape from the seal.

another thing that stuck out was that mother polar bear i think, or maybe mother seal, jumped in the water to escape the predator on the way, and she had her baby with her, she jumped right in and i thought she was just going to take off and leave the baby. i dont know what she could do in such a situation, it just struck me as odd, and crazy. Its as you said survival of the fittest, but its just shocking partly because we have no idea their thought process, and obviously humans would never do something like that, in fact, you'd expect the human to offer themselves, or throw themselves on their child so as to spare the child, and risk death or injury. I guess thats how i looked at the buffalo and wolf scene. If this is a human situation, human vs human and i saw a fellow man or woman attacked i'd jump in and help try and fend off the attacker or would hope someone else would, or would call for help etc... Certainly the options for animals in this situation differ greatly, but its still the same principle.

I always love the questions that form after seeing these documentaries. Very interesting and thought provoking show. I always learn so much from these shows.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Was screened on TV here late last year, the most awesome and captivating doco series ever.
    I need to buy it on Blu Ray!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I remember thinking, holy crap that big guy just ran that little dude over and gave the wolves their meal!
    Looked like he was booking pretty fast and he just ran right through. I agree, survival of the fittest.

My favorite part was the story of the male Polar Bear following the female around for two weeks fighting any other males that came sniffing around. Wow, did he look beat to crap when they finally went their separate ways.

I would watch it again. Thought it was phenomenal.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I love penguins more than ever after watching this series.
    I really pray they do not become extinct when the cap melts.
    :(
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • so last week the interaction with the buffalo not helping their fellow buffalo who was being attacked by wolves had me wondering if humans are the only animal or being on earth that if their friend or relative were attacked, someone anyone in the group would try and rescue and save their "friend". The episode this week answered that question. Musk oxen were being attacked by wolves. A baby was attacked by the wolves. The musk oxen banded together as a group and charged the wolves and got the baby back safe and sound. I guess they also protect the sick and elderly. Very interesting stuff.

Interesting this week about the i forget what they were, maybe they were musk oxen as well, but they were butting heads, and it looked like it would hurt like hell. I also was fascinated by the information about the snowy owls, and their babies. I was surprised at how brutal the seals could get when trying to prove who was alpha male. I dont picture seals as brutal and violent, but they seem pretty intense.
  • Am I the only one who is pissed whenever they air one of these phenomenal documentaries, but scrap the legendary David Attenborough in favor of some American like Oprah or Alec Baldwin? I am so excited to see this, but am waiting for the DVD release with Attenborough narrating

BTW, if you love this kind of stuff, Blue Planet is an absolute must see