For Luca - please support a very brave 4 year old - Updated

goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,478
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I wouldn't normally post this sort of thing but a family friend back home in Wales is going through a really tough time right now and I know there are a lot of people here that will help if they can.

If anyone here is on Facebook please 'like' and share the "For Luca" page.
http://www.facebook.com/ForLuca1
Luca is a beautiful 3 year old who was struck down with Meningococcal Septicaemia in early January and his life changed forever…This horrendous disease ravaged every part of his body in hours and left him fighting for his life! With less than a 3% chance of survival Luca pulled through however he was not unscathed…
Luca lost both of his legs and all of his tissue, some muscle and skin below his hips. He has massive skin and tissue and muscle loss across his arms and shoulders and is now fighting to save his knees which have been severely damaged.

We will be raising funds to cover the huge costs of equipment and prosthetics giving Luca every chance to excel in every aspect of his future.
I've also got to share the following "man-to-man" conversation that Luca's dad posted on the FB page as it is so touching:
Luca - 'Dad. Why did the doctors take my legs away?'
Me- 'Because they were making you very poorly handsome'
Luca - 'It was a good idea then!
Me - 'Yes it was as you are getting better'
Luca - 'When can we go shopping to buy me some new legs?'
Me - 'When you are better we will all go'
Luca - 'Ok. Can I have Blue ones??'
Me - Speechless with admiration...

If you do 'like' the Facebook page, please upload a photo of yourself with "For Luca" written on the palm of your hand (like the other photos on the page). It may not sound like much, but you won't believe how much of a boost Luca gets just from knowing that there are people out there thinking about him. It really helps a lot.
“Do not postpone happiness”
(Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
(Tim Rogers)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    That is heart-breaking....what a tough kid!!
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    thanks for sharing buddy...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,478
    I just noticed on FB that you'd added it - thanks D!

(Tim Rogers)
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    thanks a heart-wrenching thing
    poor baby :(
    thanks for sharing
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    goldrush wrote:
    I just noticed on FB that you'd added it - thanks D!
    ofcourse...i dont have kids,but i trully believe is the most important thing ..
    thanks again
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    :(
    Time zone BUMP for the Europeans!

If you do 'like' the Facebook page, please upload a photo of yourself with "For Luca" written on the palm of your hand (like the other photos on the page). It may not sound like much, but you won't believe how much of a boost Luca gets just from knowing that there are people out there thinking about him. It really helps a lot.

Thank you

(Tim Rogers)
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    edited March 2012
    Liked... Will post picture later...

Edit: Picture Up...
    Post edited by Black Diamond on
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    We are all in!! When I get home from work....4 Palms for Luca coming around 7:pm US EST
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    So very sad, sending my best to Luca....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Liked and I'll do the photo shortly. :thumbup: :clap:
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    <3 Bump
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    <3 Bump
    Thanks everyone! :clap:

I'll keep bumping this to the top - every little bit of support helps

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush wrote:
    Thanks everyone! :clap:

I'll keep bumping this to the top - every little bit of support helps
    :)
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I am sending so much love, light, and hugs to brave little Luca and his family.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,677
    :cry: Brave litlle man, best wishes for him and his family
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
    Some updates on Luca:

Yesterday:
    Luca is back in theatre today for his regular MOT.
    We are keeping a close eye on each of his knees and scarring at moment...

His day yesterday was very relaxed. He had some time in wheelchair in morning and then had a 4.5hr sleep(again this is huge)
    Luca had been getting an average of 2-3 hrs sleep per day before this!
    Downside is that he was still playing on his 'Puter' at midnight and wide awake at 4am... :(

His comment of the day yesterday had Sian and I crying with laughter....

While Luca was playing in bed(apparently)
    Sian was checking herself out in the mirror(tidying her hair, etc...)
    Luca who was still tapping away on 'Puter' blurted out...
    'Mum. Why are you pulling a Skinny Face?'
    Sian has decided to keep her 'Skinny Face' for the bathroom from now on...

His milestones to achieve today are being measured for a pressure garment that he'll prob wear for cpl years to help scar tissue. I managed to measure his arms yesterday and Sian is going in for the torso today.
    Wish us luck! Ear plugs at the ready!

We are also starting to reduce the massive amount of drugs he is on for pain relief, etc...
    These will be testing times as we take him through withdrawal on a number of them.
    Today:
    Luca came out of theatre with no major probs today....
    His knees are just being monitored at the moment and he still has a vacuum dressing on one to encourage tissue growth before we graft over hole

His milestone was to be measured for a pressure garment today which went pretty smoothly thanks to his Mum keeping him calm and doing all the measuring herself

There was however another milestone...
    This afternoon Luca was peeing in a bottle as opposed to a catheter! This is the first time he has been able to wee for himself since January!!
    Sian and I talk allot about milestones and small steps and for us this is another major one.. This means we can finally cross off all the problems that it has caused which means another drug off his chart for good!!

Sat here writing this post makes me realise just how lucky I am to have such an amazing son!
    Not once did he ever complain or cry about having a tube down his winky! Being a man I know I would...
    He would regularly hold the tube for us if we moved him so it wouldn't pull and named it his 'Winky Tubeey'

Just 2 more tubes to go now son. Feed tube and the vacuum tube on your leg.
    We'll get there I promise and we will have you home in no time!

(Tim Rogers)
    thanks for the update
    This may be the coolest thing to happen so far. Luca is a mad Formula 1 fan and current World Champion Sebastian Vettel and his team mate Mark Webber have shown their support from Malaysia!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=259070710849675&set=a.248378231918923.57545.248375595252520&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=259072647516148&set=a.248378231918923.57545.248375595252520&type=1&theater

(Tim Rogers)
    thanks
    goldrush wrote:
    This may be the coolest thing to happen so far. Luca is a mad Formula 1 fan and current World Champion Sebastian Vettel and his team mate Mark Webber have shown their support from Malaysia!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=259070710849675&set=a.248378231918923.57545.248375595252520&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=259072647516148&set=a.248378231918923.57545.248375595252520&type=1&theater
    Luca was in theatre again today. Here's an update from his dad:
    It has been a very busy day!!
    Luca had a fair night sleep and woke early bright and ready to play...
    One of the few mornings he wanted breakfast but was nil by mouth due to theatre so a few tears
    Not helped by me losing a few brownie points last night by managing to accidently yank his feed tube out when it got caught in his wheelchair...! Ouch
    After a few tears he was more concerned if the sticker on his face was ok...?

Luca had his dressings changed today and we have discussed the next steps for his left knee.
    Fortunately the consultants are prepared to wait a month for the hole to grow together before we graft over.
    Means he will have a constant vacuum dressing but a route that we wanted too. Still risk if it stops regenerating but worth the wait...

He was an absolute star in theatre and even sat there talking to me as I held the mask on his face to send him off... (Not easy!)

After a short sleep we managed to get him out for a cpl of hours to the Park. He is now tucked up in bed exhausted ready for another day out tomorrow...
    No cheeky comments today just alot of 'I love you's' and 'Proud of you's'

The milestone for today is mine as I have just come home for the night while Sian stays with Luca...
    I managed to go into his bedroom for the first time since he we found him near death on the bed in January...
    I am signing off now as still holding back the tears

(Tim Rogers)
    edited February 2013
    Ok, apologies for the long time in between updates. Please check out Luca's Facebook or Twitter pages for more regular updates on how he's doing.

http://www.facebook.com/forluca1
    http://www.twitter.com/for_luca

There is now a video on Youtube that has been put together of photos of Luca and the people that have offered their support. I should warn you that seeing some of the photos of Luca when he was healthy and then seeing him after his operations can be quite hard to watch.

http://youtu.be/mJsaoPDhjYI

Some of the more famous supporters that would be appreciated on this forum (as opposed to the Welsh celebrities and UK pop 'stars' that people here may not know) include:

Ewan McGregor
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.248378231918923.57545.248375595252520&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=311034482319964&set=a.248378231918923.57545.248375595252520&type=3&theater

Gene Simmons, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum, Gilby Clarke, Joe Elliott and Glenn Hughes
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.248378231918923.57545.248375595252520&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=276094242480655&set=a.248378231918923.57545.248375595252520&type=3&theater

Even President Obama has got involved (kinda)
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4255364/President-Obama-snapped-for-sick-Brit-lad-Lucas-campaign.html
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Bump ;)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    This is the first update I've posted about Luca in a long time but there is good news and I just wanted to share it for those who are not following him on Facebook.

His Dad posted this on Tuesday:
    Such a simple moment will stay with me for years to come handsome...

It is Stage 1 of what I know will be 1000’s of Stages throughout your life... As my boss you asked me to try and explain how these are mapped out in front of you...

Today...
    You stood up! (Not unaided. It took 2 people to hold you up in position)
    My brain quickly asking why weren’t you running off after your brother who was swinging on the bars in front of you...
    Why weren’t you smiling?
    Why wasn’t the elation I had planned not as overwhelming as I thought?
    Why did you just buckle and fall over when we let you go?
    Why, Why, Why...

The answer is never simple when it comes to our life challenge Luca! Every stage is carefully planned to bring your body back to a level it can help you walk...

The facts...
    Your muscles are so wasted and damaged you could not have supported your weight with all the will in the world...
    Your hips have turned your knees out and are twisting your stance...
    Your body has not been in an upright position for over a year... (it could not start in the seconds I wanted it to)
    You will not walk unaided for a long time and will only wear your legs in physio sessions to train your body to stand

The reality...
    I saw you stand up!
    No matter how many people where holding you up and how many days, weeks and months it will take to move to Stage 2(walking)
    I saw you stand up!!
    I knelt in front of you eye to eye... You looking at me puzzled as I fought back the tears and urges to snap photos...
    Just letting you get used to ‘Standing Up!’

Now the hardest part of this challenge starts Luca. The challenge to walk. I knew it would be tough and long but I think I was living in denial that you would stand and walk unaided from day 1...

So what next...
    Luca you will start the long and very boring task of just ‘Standing Up’
    With activities planned to keep you entertained we will train your body back to a stage where you can hold yourself up...
    That will mean Stage 1 complete!

Stage 2... I do not know when this will be handsome...
    Timings do not matter... We will get there and all the while I will hold the most wonderful memory in my mind!!

‘I SAW YOU STAND UP!’

I love you that little bit more tonight handsome...
    I am so, so proud of you!
    Your student, protégé and lifetime ambassador...
    Dad xxx

He also posted this photo of Luca with his new legs yesterday:

8475124482_f2c7eb1f23_n.jpg

(Tim Rogers)
    Oh, and another famous face has shown his support...

Diego Maradonna!!!

60738_416921648397913_789590917_n.jpg

(Tim Rogers)