Venus and Jupiter Conjunction 2012

rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anybody seen this? It's been in the western sky just after the sun sets. The conjunction is particularly spectacular this time around because of how high above the horizon it is, and thus is visible for hours after sunset.

I looked with my own telescope the other day, the dimmer planet is Jupiter. You can see its four little moons lined-up neatly below the striped planet

and Venus, the brighter of the two, goes through phases like the moon. It looked like a half moon about three nights ago

:mrgreen:

(not my pic)

081202-venus-jupiter-photo_big.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Rollings, we were looking at the planets a few nights ago too. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i see this nightly when i am walking the park. a very beautiful sky above us. we are lucky to see and love the dark sky that surrounds us. i am amazed by those who do not enjoy a star filled night.

to the naked eye these planets are very bright. i can easily find these two planets each night i am out for my stroll. i hope they have life out there in space somewhere looking at us.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    The wonders of the night sky never cease to amaze me with their brilliance. A simple scene like this evokes so much thought and makes me realize how inconsequential my petty problems really are sometimes.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    I told my son to look through the telescope and tell me what he saw,
    he described Jupiter as looking like "the moon with a line of stars below it"

:mrgreen: