The Cabin in the Woods

uglybabouglybabo Posts: 520
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Saw this tonight. A really great movie - highly recommended.

Takes the whole horror genre and really subverts it. Smart and funny. Can't really talk about the plot without spoiling it but well worth checking out. Just don't watch the trailer.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I'm excited to see this. I have a lot of faith in Joss Whedon's writing, so I expect good things
  • jammergirljammergirl Posts: 599
    I'm a HUGE Joss Whedon fan so I want to see this, but can you tell me if it's really gory? You don't have to go into details or anything, I just want to know what I'm in for... :?
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I really want to see this - glad to hear good things about it! Another huge Joss Whedon fan here...I couldn't figure out if this movie would be too too scary or not. Either way I'm going to see it :D
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    This looks to be promising, which you cant say too much about horror movies these days.
    Truly a lost art.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,802
    Saw this tonight. It was pretty darn good. If you like Joss Whedon/Buffy you'll like this movie. Yes it's not a real "Horror" movie although there are def. some aspects to it. Lots of twists esp. towards the end and whatnot.

You can watch the trailer i don't think it spoils anything major. Yes it is kinda gory Jammergirl.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Spoiler.

Saw the movie, thought it was very good. (Spoiler) the hand at the end(/end Spoiler), epic ending, I got it right as I made it to my car in the parking lot and had a huge smirk as I drove home.
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I really loved the movie...so much so that I've seen it twice so far. I'm sure I'll see it again before it leaves cinemas.
    Kristen Connolly, Fran Kranz, Richard Jenkins, and Bradley Whitford are all terrific. It isn't particularly scary but is very smart and sometimes very funny as well.
    I wouldn't watch the trailers until afterward as there is a spoiler in one of them (forget which one) that I wish I hadn't known going in.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
    okay finally saw this: wow that was hilarious and awesome! yes the gore was a little much for me in a few parts, but I was usually too busy laughing about the scene before...good stuff!

I have a question to any other Buffy/Angel fans on here: did the movie feel kind of like a longer episode of "Angel" to you? I totally got that vibe, especially with *spoiler* Fred Burkle making an appearance.

Even if you arent' a fan of Joss Whedon's other shows, I still think you will like it!
    jammergirl wrote:
    okay finally saw this: wow that was hilarious and awesome! yes the gore was a little much for me in a few parts, but I was usually too busy laughing about the scene before...good stuff!

I have a question to any other Buffy/Angel fans on here: did the movie feel kind of like a longer episode of "Angel" to you? I totally got that vibe, especially with *spoiler* Fred Burkle making an appearance.

Even if you arent' a fan of Joss Whedon's other shows, I still think you will like it!

I said on another board that if you ever wondered what evil Fred would be like...now you know.

Wasn't it a S7 Buffy episode that had the line "From beneath you, it devours." in it? Sounds a bit like a forerunner to this movie.
    I agree that there was an "Angel" vibe at times in the movie.
    With this movie in cinemas now, "The Avengers" coming out on May 4, and Can't Stop The Serenity charity screenings of "Serenity" coming up in June, this is a great spring/early summer for Joss Whedon fans at the movies!
    - Al Swearengen

[/quote]

I said on another board that if you ever wondered what evil Fred would be like...now you know.

Wasn't it a S7 Buffy episode that had the line "From beneath you, it devours." in it? Sounds a bit like a forerunner to this movie.
    I agree that there was an "Angel" vibe at times in the movie.
    With this movie in cinemas now, "The Avengers" coming out on May 4, and Can't Stop The Serenity charity screenings of "Serenity" coming up in June, this is a great spring/early summer for Joss Whedon fans at the movies![/quote]

YES!! Evil Fred, that's perfect! totally got the season 5 vibe of "Angel", with her in the lab coat...omg I totally forgot about that line from Buffy season 7, that is a great callback. Speaking of which, did you catch Andrew's quick cameo? even more season 7 goodness...

What are the "Serenity" screenings you're talking about, and will there be any in the bay area?? I just finished "Firefly and serenity, and I'm in denial that there's no more episodes to watch... :(
    jammergirl wrote:
    YES!! Evil Fred, that's perfect! totally got the season 5 vibe of "Angel", with her in the lab coat...omg I totally forgot about that line from Buffy season 7, that is a great callback. Speaking of which, did you catch Andrew's quick cameo? even more season 7 goodness...

What are the "Serenity" screenings you're talking about, and will there be any in the bay area?? I just finished "Firefly and serenity, and I'm in denial that there's no more episodes to watch... :(

Yes, Tom Lenk was fun in the role of the intern.

The "Serenity" screenings are held every year on or near Joss Whedon's birthday (June 23) to raise money for his favorite charity, Equality Now. I just checked the site and there isn't a Bay Area screening listed yet for this year. That doesn't mean one couldn't be added though. Check out the site below.

- Al Swearengen

Yefa wrote:
    jammergirl wrote:

The "Serenity" screenings are held every year on or near Joss Whedon's birthday (June 23) to raise money for his favorite charity, Equality Now. I just checked the site and there isn't a Bay Area screening listed yet for this year. That doesn't mean one couldn't be added though. Check out the site below.

wow, thanks for the link, that looks really fun. I'll keep an eye on it in case a screening near me pops up!
    jammergirl wrote:
    Yefa wrote:
    jammergirl wrote:

wow, thanks for the link, that looks really fun. I'll keep an eye on it in case a screening near me pops up!

You're welcome. Yeah, the screenings are lots of fun. I preordered my tshirt that I'll pick up at the Boston-area screening. My friend who is the organizer for that screening told me that if we sell a lot of tickets for that Saturday night screening, we may get to show the film Friday night as well and maybe add Cabin In The Woods to the Friday night program too. I hope that happens as it would be quite the double feature.
    - Al Swearengen

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    caught this movie while my car was getting regular maintenance ...

it was good - there were a few plot lines i didn't particularly like but every movie has those i suppose ... i liked the fact, there weren't too many <groan> moments where someone does something totally stupid ...

and yeah - the trailer does give quite a bit of it away ...

loved the ending tho ... talk about raising hell ... hahaha

here's my new rating system:

:corn: :corn: :corn:
    :thumbup: :)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'd give this a meh

so goofy....but at least i won the wager...i had my money on the stoner :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg