Options

Tell me something good

2»

Comments

• Options
    DopeBeastieDopeBeastie Posts: 2,513
    hola hedonista... it is nice to see a familiar name... it's been some time since i've come round here :)
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Howdy back :)

Here's something good. Well, beautiful, actually.

These gorillas...how alike we are.

And how majestic they are.

The big dude reminds me of Ishmael.

While I'm so envious of this man being in this position - how many get to experience that in life? - I think I'd probably shit myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvWjBlzA ... re=related
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    hedonist wrote:
    Howdy back :)

Here's something good. Well, beautiful, actually.

These gorillas...how alike we are.

And how majestic they are.

The big dude reminds me of Ishmael.

While I'm so envious of this man being in this position - how many get to experience that in life? - I think I'd probably shit myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvWjBlzA ... re=related

This is so cool! I was just reading last night in Henry Rollins excellent book, Smile, You're Traveling a passage where he describes being in Africa. He's just arrived and is staying in a camp and has his own tent and sees a group of baboons and isn't sure what to do and goes in his tent and takes stock of his provisions and wonders how long he must stay hidden. Later, he is told the baboons are more interested in the foliage around his tent. You can tell by his writing that Rollins is quite taken with the animals and the natural beauty of Kenya and his descriptions are vivid snapshots. (Yes, I'm totally immersed in this book- it's amazing in it's honesty and clarity and fullness of life. First rate!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I like Rollins so much, and have been looking for a good read. Thank you, I'll search this one out!

On a sidenote of goodness, today would've been my dad's 90th.

He's my barometer of what makes a good man, a good person. This isn't said via childhood nostalgia, but through the clarity of an adult who sees her father, faults and all, and knows his decent character outweighed them.

He introduced me to and nurtured my love of music. Mostly classical at the time and some musicals of that era. Then, my sister and I reciprocated with "our" music. Love on both sides!

But, when I try to associate a specific song or piece with him, I can't.

It's a ribbon, a tapestry - all connected.

I wish we'd listened to Neil together. He would've dug him :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbuPNLFUuJw
  • Options
    I was in search of a particular quote and came upon this instead. Guess it's not so much about hope - partway though, I suppose it can be - but more about what's yours, as Andy says.

Such is life - such is music :)

Red: I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.

Andy Dufresne: That's the beauty of music. They can't get that from you... Haven't you ever felt that way about music?
    Red: I played a mean harmonica as a younger man. Lost interest in it though. Didn't make much sense in here.
    Andy Dufresne: Here's where it makes the most sense. You need it so you don't forget.
    Red: Forget?
    Andy Dufresne: Forget that... there are places in this world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside... that they can't get to, that they can't touch. That's yours.
    Red: What're you talking about?
    Andy Dufresne: Hope.
  • Options
    See, I just had to go here now...

Fits me.

It's my "yours".

One of blessed many :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJQkfAcXm5w
  • Options
    Great story about organ donation - incredible how it worked out despite being such an unusual situation.

My brother-in-law needed a kidney transplant a few years ago, and a co-worker of his (not even a close one, at that), donated one of his.

How fucking amazing, kind and generous is that?

Anyway, this is from last year, but it doesn't matter. Good stuff, and I hope it makes folks think about becoming a donor themselves. I am!

http://www.burbankleader.com/news/tn-gn ... 9779.story

Bless both of these men.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    hedonist wrote:
    See, I just had to go here now...

Fits me.

It's my "yours".

One of blessed many :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJQkfAcXm5w

Tradin' stories with the leaves, yeah. I can dig it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I needed - really needed - to read something uplifting this morning.

Found it!

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... ishing-net

A California gray whale is moving freely after rescuers spent seven hours untangling it from a discarded fishing net off the Orange County coast, local media reported.

The young whale was spotted Friday night off the coast of Dana Point Harbor, Calif., covered in nearly 50 feet of fishing wire. Rescue crews suspected it had been dragging the nylon netting, which was filled with dead sea animals, for nearly a week.

"We had a sea lion, we had several sharks ... the whole ecosystem, you know, was in that netting," Dave Anderson, who works with DolphinSafari.com and was part of the weekend rescue, told NBCLosAngeles.com.

Anderson got permission from the National Marine Fisheries Services Friday evening to attach a buoy to the mammal to monitor it overnight as a team of wildlife experts assembled for a rescue attempt the following morning, The Los Angeles Times reported.

The challenge: to cut through the netting without hurting the whale, which they named "Bart" after one of the boaters who stayed with the whale overnight as it drifted up the coast, reported The LA Times.

The rescue involved seven tiring hours of sawing through the nylon as rescue crews followed the whale for mile after mile out to sea.

"It was getting very frightening towards the end of the day because we were running out of time," Anderson told NBCLosAngeles.com. Crews were using grappling hooks and lines to reel in the mammal and a knife to cut away debris, according to The LA Times. Then, at last, a line snapped as the whale dived down, pulling buoys down with it.

"Those buoys just went under the water all of a sudden," Anderson told NBCLosAngeles. "And when they went under the water, I mean, it was like a scene from 'Jaws.'"

When the whale came back up, he was free.

Anderson, who does whale-watching tours, told NBCLosAngeles.com that many dolphins and whales die in fishing nets each year, and he's grateful to have saved one.

"He came right up to our boat and almost mouthed, like, a thank you. It was pretty awesome."

According to The LA Times, Bart was last seen four miles off Corona de Mar, and appeared healthy.
  • Options
    Sometimes the simplest things are the best.

Cats are passed the fuck out on our bed. Like dead-weight out.

I cozy up to George, and those spots on his sleepy belly. Nectar! He smells of fruit and springtime and animal.

We adopted him from Petco in September 2010 when he wasn't quite three months old. He and his sisters were found in a tirewell and fostered. (I love you, Kitten Rescue of LA!)

I never had a male cat before but once I saw him and we properly met, that was it, on both sides. We went through the paperwork, were deemed fit "parents", got the necessary supplies and went home to wait.

Few hours later, they show up. George is snuggled up inside his foster mom's hoodie.

This was...a year and a half ago. At that time, he was like a new potato. A fingerling. Tiny, sweet, fresh.

Now, I look at him, and I see a fucking yukon gold potato - doublestuffed and loaded with butter, cheese, bacon and sour cream :mrgreen:

His meows are not those of one with his heft.

Still, utterly sweet, gentle, loving. Gives the softest head-butts like nobody's business.

I think he'll always be kitten-like.

So yeah. Goodness in our pockets :)
  • Options
    Our local news is showing a bit on these guys and man, don't it make me smile.

I fucking love stories like this, so BUMP for this old thread!

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/the-crip-and-piru-chefs-behind-comptons-underground-trapkitchenla-restaurant
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Sometimes the simplest things are the best.

Cats are passed the fuck out on our bed. Like dead-weight out.

I cozy up to George, and those spots on his sleepy belly. Nectar! He smells of fruit and springtime and animal.

We adopted him from Petco in September 2010 when he wasn't quite three months old. He and his sisters were found in a tirewell and fostered. (I love you, Kitten Rescue of LA!)

I never had a male cat before but once I saw him and we properly met, that was it, on both sides. We went through the paperwork, were deemed fit "parents", got the necessary supplies and went home to wait.

Few hours later, they show up. George is snuggled up inside his foster mom's hoodie.

This was...a year and a half ago. At that time, he was like a new potato. A fingerling. Tiny, sweet, fresh.

Now, I look at him, and I see a fucking yukon gold potato - doublestuffed and loaded with butter, cheese, bacon and sour cream :mrgreen:

His meows are not those of one with his heft.

Still, utterly sweet, gentle, loving. Gives the softest head-butts like nobody's business.

I think he'll always be kitten-like.

So yeah. Goodness in our pockets :)

The kitten we got for my daughter has become the Queen of our household. A beautiful black and brown tabby, she is the sweetest thing I could ever hope for when we got her for a pet.

And, she's freaking nuts when she has her playful periods: I swear she gets into Navy seal character and we are her sworn enemies for an hour every evening. Stalking, hiding, high speed dashes (the sound of it is hilarious), springing sporadic leaps, butt wiggles, foot grabs and high speed dual back leg piston kicks (no claws) are all part of the nightly game for her

Then... settles back down content to be carried anywhere anyone wants to carry her, snuggling with anyone who wants to snuggle with her, and all else that is great.

She loves us. You can tell by the way she admiringly looks at us. She's never not around us other than to absolutely obliterate her litter box (fak man... ease up... just try to be a little tidy without casting litter everywhere).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Ah, Thirty...those hopped-up times are hilarious. Here, always followed by the I-may-have-overextended-myself flop...like damn, I am WIPED OUT.

Love the butt wiggles!

Feel free to post a pic of her :)
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    hedonist said:

Our local news is showing a bit on these guys and man, don't it make me smile.

I fucking love stories like this, so BUMP for this old thread!

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/the-crip-and-piru-chefs-behind-comptons-underground-trapkitchenla-restaurant

dingdingding... that pineapple seafood dish is slayin me over here. i'll be grillin that real soon. love this story, hedonist, thank you for sharing it.

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce