Head or Heart?

stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
In the past I have followed my heart.
I have new decisions to make but I can't leave them to my heart as I have learned they are unlikely to be the most balanced decisions.

I am interested to know,are your life decisions mostly made by your head or your heart?
“There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    In my 20s and early 30s, heart
    Now, head
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Carey wrote:
    Now, head

This!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i follow my head and act with my heart....
    if you dont put feeling and passion in things you do you are just a machine...
    i prefer humans to deal with..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Carey wrote:
    Now, head

This!

word
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    depends on the situation...

I used to follow my heart(when I was young), and it caused trouble...most of the time, sometimes not.
    Now I look back, and sometimes, in certain situations...I think I should have followed my heart.
    I do wonder what would have happened.

I followed my heart to go and see PJ at Alpine= :D
    I followed my heart and moved to Cali= :twisted: (worst decision ever made)

but you learn...I know that in those articles about regrets senior citizens have...they say that their biggest regret is 'not taking risks on love and not treasuring their friendships'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Carey wrote:
    Now, head

Yep,way up to a matter of months ago it was my heart also,now,finally my head,I will be 43 in June :?

What made the difference?
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    RKCNDY wrote:
    depends on the situation...

I used to follow my heart(when I was young), and it caused trouble...most of the time, sometimes not.
    Now I look back, and sometimes, in certain situations...I think I should have followed my heart.
    I do wonder what would have happened.

I followed my heart to go and see PJ at Alpine= :D
    I followed my heart and moved to Cali= :twisted: (worst decision ever made)

but you learn...I know that in those articles about regrets senior citizens have...they say that their biggest regret is 'not taking risks on love and not treasuring their friendships'

Well put RKCNDY :) I took risks on love,this is why my head has come into play with this current situation :? Even when it feels alien to me
    I treasure family and friends but at the expense of love? Who knows :?
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Carey wrote:
    Now, head

Yep,way up to a matter of months ago it was my heart also,now,finally my head,I will be 43 in June :?

I think I've been burned way too many times by lies, deceit, and just poor choices in general on my own part. Too much ignoring of red flags (whether it be jealousy, irresponsible behavior, or dishonesty). My head is driving the bus now. Also, I have two small children now and I have to be wise about how I spend my free time and who I choose to include in my life.
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    edited March 2012
    I think you have to have a balance of both.

Like Carey brought up, age is part of it too. When you're younger, you can be more impetuous and the consequences aren't quite as serious. As you get older, there's more to consider for yourself and for others.

I think the winning answer is "Consider both, don't ignore either one."
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I'm not sure I ever did much with my head
    no pot shots please ;):lol:

feeling decisions is instinct ... I have always had a strong intuition, instinct, gut,
    my mother shared this early on with me. Encouraged me to follow this gift
    we all possess.
    I am impulsive and don't harbor regrets making instinct all the more easy
    and then there is faith ... I have faith in my path no matter what.
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Carey wrote:
    Now, head

you will do the same thing again next time....
    if i understand well what the "matter" you talking about..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Honestly I probably follow my kidneys more than anything else, they've always been reliable and have never caused me a problem.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • I'm an impulsive person, so neither or both I guess...I know not much of an answer. :?
  • green mountain mangreen mountain man Posts: 735
    edited March 2012
    The heart is basically a pump and does not play a role in decision making.It does pump nutrient rich blood to the brain.
    You are writing about intuition versus rational judgement.
    You can make fast judgements comparing options using intuition.
    It is probably best to blend intuition and analysis.
    I prefer to to think analytically and take a concious deliberate review of the course of action.
    I guess it is because I am a man and do not have any intuition. :lol:
    Depending on what you are trying to decide,it is best to keep emotion out of it.
    A good example is wanting to keep my mom as independent as possible and happy, but it was time to yank her drivers licence.
    Post edited by green mountain man on
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    justam wrote:
    I think you have to have a balance of both.

Like Carey brought up, age is part of it too. When you're younger, you can be more impetuous and the consequences aren't quite as serious. As you get older, there's more to consider for yourself and for others.

I think the winning answer is "Consider both, don't ignore either one."

This! But I have to admit that at the moment, heart is a little in the lead :D
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Usually its my heart first... :D

and then my head kicks in and I start thinking and over thinking and the what if's .... :roll:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Always follow your heart no matter the time or age, too much thinking can be a very very bad thing, you will be richer from the experience no matter how bad or good the consequence
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I use both. Unfortunately decisions I have made with my heart seem to have a higher failure rate especially at work. I gave one of my salesman chance after chance...sorry I'm late...I have to leave early...sorry I'm hungover...finally one day he just stopped coming to work. I heard about this guy everyday for 6 months from my boss.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    marcos wrote:
    Always follow your heart no matter the time or age, too much thinking can be a very very bad thing, you will be richer from the experience no matter how bad or good the consequence

Thank you - This is wonderful and I'll remember this -

sometimes if I over think nothing ever happens.... ( of course I will use my head just a little ) ;)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    marcos wrote:
    you will be richer from the experience no matter how bad or good the consequence

there is only one thing in life,you cant buy.....

cos there is no price..

experience..

the reason i love those Lyrics..

http://www.pearljam.com/song/indifference
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    mikalina wrote:
    marcos wrote:

Thank you - This is wonderful and I'll remember this -

sometimes if I over think nothing ever happens.... ( of course I will use my head just a little ) ;)

You must go completely 100% heart without any thought whatsoever, no looking back or regret, it's the only way to know you gave it your all, as they say "'go for it"' all in!!!
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    The HEART lies!
    The brain over thinks
    the gut wants to vomit?
    I give up.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    decide with your heart, and if it is a poor choice, use your head to convince yourself you are lucky it didn't work out.
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    Intuition & past experiences.

*Be objective!
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
    I'm bitter
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    heart writes checks that the head can't cover
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Heart
    the heart only thinks about it's own self :?
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I am interested to know,are your life decisions mostly made by your head or your heart?

some life decisions can only be made with the head.

some life decisions can only be made with the heart.

If both get involved in a decision, the head doesn't stand a chance (and it knows it :mrgreen: )
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    my heart... my heart... my heart always wins out... but sometimes that means i lose.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say