If You Thought The Firing Scene in Jerry McGuire Was Public.

Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
GoiMTvP.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    dude is essentially describing the culture of most big multi-national corporations ...
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,831
    Good article. As an insider, the writer has more credibility than most financial reporters. I dont think it will change much though.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    just read it....good stuff.

i've been saying it for years...we have become a greedy nation/world
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    When I saw the thread title I was picturing BD standing up on his desk with his goldfish in a bag quitting his job :lol:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • Ehh. Sounds like a disgruntled employee that didn't get a promotion or something who wants to leave, but has a non-compete, so he can't take his biggest clients with him (irony alert!), so goes public to get sympathy. I'd be more impressed if he announced he was giving away his Mercedes, Ferrari and the 2 "extra" houses he has (I have no idea what he has, just sayin').

There's obviously truth in what he says (but we already knew that). But, it's also 1 side of a story (the one we WANT to believe is 100% true b/c it fits our view of the world). Do we honestly believe this guy is out to save Goldman Sachs (which is the underlying theme)? And if not, what's his motive?

The one point he's clearly right about - when their clients leave, their day will be over. And, he's made a very public stance on that b/c he can't get his clients to come with him any other way. So, who's the self serving one?

But, alas, in the end, it is what it is. It's like when folks come to these forums to bid farewell.... Good riddance.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    uhhh ... correct me if i'm wrong ... but he's the head of derivatives in europe, middle east and asia ... his job doesn't include clients ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    uhhh ... correct me if i'm wrong ... but he's the head of derivatives in europe, middle east and asia ... his job doesn't include clients ...

So, he has no relationships he'd like to leverage into his new endeavor?

And, quite frankly, Goldman Sachs has probably made him rich enough that he doesn't even need anymore (irnoy alert!). But, that's not the point of someone like this. He needs to prove his point, so unless he destroys Goldman Sachs, he won't be happy. Which, I couldn't care less. Have at it. Destroy away. I'm not rich enough for that to matter.

And, like I said, there are truths to what he says. But, if he is the HEAD of DERIVATIVES, why are HIS subordinates talking like that? Doesn't that make him part of the problem?
    So, he has no relationships he'd like to leverage into his new endeavor?

And, quite frankly, Goldman Sachs has probably made him rich enough that he doesn't even need anymore (irnoy alert!). But, that's not the point of someone like this. He needs to prove his point, so unless he destroys Goldman Sachs, he won't be happy. Which, I couldn't care less. Have at it. Destroy away. I'm not rich enough for that to matter.

And, like I said, there are truths to what he says. But, if he is the HEAD of DERIVATIVES, why are HIS subordinates talking like that? Doesn't that make him part of the problem?

dude ... he's not going to take down goldman sachs with his rant ... don't be absurd ... his sole goal is to change the culture there ... which he's not gonna do either ...

sure, the guy is loaded ... can probably live in a cabana on the beach for the rest of his days writing a memoir ... no one is saying he's anything but ...

i just don't see how your perception of this guy matters ... you want to call him a fraud ... so be it ... but you know what he says is true so what does it matter?
    I think he was vague enough so that the friends wouldnt be able to identify him, but that his supervisors would know exactly who wrote the letter. Its just commentary on the change in the culture from one person's perspective, no more, no less.
  • polaris_x wrote:
    dude ... he's not going to take down goldman sachs with his rant ... don't be absurd ... his sole goal is to change the culture there ... which he's not gonna do either ...

sure, the guy is loaded ... can probably live in a cabana on the beach for the rest of his days writing a memoir ... no one is saying he's anything but ...

i just don't see how your perception of this guy matters ... you want to call him a fraud ... so be it ... but you know what he says is true so what does it matter?

If that was his sole goal - why leave? Wouldn't it be better to be a true leader and help those internally that may be helpless (or at least more helpless). How about mentoring those interns?

Again, I don't care either way. You're right. And, I'm not calling him a fraud. I'm calling him a coward. If there was no reason to leave, and the poor interns are going to grow into monsters, why not be the change? No, instead, hightails it, publically bitches, and has 0 impact. So, either stay and be the change or be gone. Being a bitch about it changes nothing. We've all had bad bosses in our lives. We don't take out full page op-ed pieces that pander to the masses to moan about it.

Good riddance.
  • Get_Right wrote:
    I think he was vague enough so that the friends wouldnt be able to identify him, but that his supervisors would know exactly who wrote the letter. Its just commentary on the change in the culture from one person's perspective, no more, no less.

Didn't he sign his name at the bottom? I think we all know who he is.
    you know a thread has a chance...when pele shows up. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Get_Right wrote:

Didn't he sign his name at the bottom? I think we all know who he is.
    D'oh

:oops:
  • 81 wrote:
    you know a thread has a chance...when pele shows up. :P

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!
    If that was his sole goal - why leave? Wouldn't it be better to be a true leader and help those internally that may be helpless (or at least more helpless). How about mentoring those interns?

Again, I don't care either way. You're right. And, I'm not calling him a fraud. I'm calling him a coward. If there was no reason to leave, and the poor interns are going to grow into monsters, why not be the change? No, instead, hightails it, publically bitches, and has 0 impact. So, either stay and be the change or be gone. Being a bitch about it changes nothing. We've all had bad bosses in our lives. We don't take out full page op-ed pieces that pander to the masses to moan about it.

Good riddance.

c'mon now ... not sure where your hate for this guy comes from ... you know he's got very little influence in changing the culture ... the executives have basically mandated brokers sell bad investments to clients ... sure, it's altruistic to believe one person can change a multi-national corporation like goldman sachs but the fact is that this op-ed has a waaaaaaay better shot of changing that culture than him working from the inside ... you don't think there are people at BP now who think that BP should be more responsible for the gulf!?? ... corporations like goldman sachs are always gonna be about the bottom line and shareholder value ... they dictate the culture ...
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,901
    polaris_x wrote:

Good riddance.
    seems the perfect way to go out. Let the world know INCLUDING THOSE CLIENTS , from an insider - high up at that, the company the trust with growing their money wants nothing more than to fuck them out of as much of it as they can. The company can blow smoke al the want about how client is king yadda yadda yadda. But here we have a upper management person telling it like it is. Good for him.

This piece was part love letter, part lament, part wake the fuck up and go back to what made you. It will all fall on deaf ears.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat wrote:
    seems the perfect way to go out. Let the world know INCLUDING THOSE CLIENTS , from an insider - high up at that, the company the trust with growing their money wants nothing more than to fuck them out of as much of it as they can. The company can blow smoke al the want about how client is king yadda yadda yadda. But here we have a upper management person telling it like it is. Good for him.

This piece was part love letter, part lament, part wake the fuck up and go back to what made you. It will all fall on deaf ears.

You don't think THOSE CLIENTS already know his feelings?

Here's a guy who put an op-ed piece in the NYT. Do you really believe he's kept his mouth shut to his closest "friends?"

Ehh. Like I said. I don't care. I think this has 0 impact. Everyone knows the customer/client is king and if you treat them poorly, they will leave. This op-ed doesn't change that.

What exact VALUE did this add to the public domain? I say 0 b/c he didn't say something I didn't already knew exists. Do I think it's as pervasive as he makes it sound? Maybe. But, his credibility is sort of shot when I'm looking at his back while he's running away screaming that he doesn't like the way his bosses do things.

If he wants to give me one of his yachts to prove his altruism, then we're talking! :D
  • polaris_x wrote:

Good riddance.

c'mon now ... not sure where your hate for this guy comes from ... you know he's got very little influence in changing the culture ... the executives have basically mandated brokers sell bad investments to clients ... sure, it's altruistic to believe one person can change a multi-national corporation like goldman sachs but the fact is that this op-ed has a waaaaaaay better shot of changing that culture than him working from the inside ... you don't think there are people at BP now who think that BP should be more responsible for the gulf!?? ... corporations like goldman sachs are always gonna be about the bottom line and shareholder value ... they dictate the culture ...

Really? An op-ed piece has a better chance of creating change then actually working on the INSIDE? That's an interesting take. I know when I leave my company, I stop having any impact. I guess next time, I'll leave unprofessionally, so I can have a greater impact.....
    Really? An op-ed piece has a better chance of creating change then actually working on the INSIDE? That's an interesting take. I know when I leave my company, I stop having any impact. I guess next time, I'll leave unprofessionally, so I can have a greater impact.....

it's true, once you are gone you are gone...and you get blamed for everything :lol:

i can see the OWS movement latching on to this piece/guy and pointing at wall street, we told you so.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Greg Smith is resigning today as a Goldman Sachs executive director and head of the firm’s United States equity derivatives business in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

I'm betting he cleaned his desk out before he clicked "SUBMIT."
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)

most definitely ... publicly traded companies like this are all about the bottom line ... that's why the "street" rewards companies for firing people despite record profits ... maybe, if you worked for a small firm - you could foster real change ... but we are talking goldman sachs here ... he's 1 guy swimming with sharks ... this is investment banking here ... there is no room for altruism ... it's all about $$$$$ ... you think young kids coming in think about working there to make the world a better place!? ... hell no - it's about getting that beamer or the condo over looking central park and dating some hot model ...
  • 81 wrote:

it's true, once you are gone you are gone...and you get blamed for everything :lol:

i can see the OWS movement latching on to this piece/guy and pointing at wall street, we told you so.

You are right about that - That's the beauty of having someone leave - there's a good 3 to 6 months you can blame it on them. :lol:

And, kind of funny someone else thought of OWS in relation to this piece. Pandering to the masses (and if folks want to know why I have such a problem with this - it's this. We can look at this stuff simply, and interpret it the way we CURRENTLY see the world. OR, we can question it and integrate it while not swallowing it).
  • polaris_x wrote:

most definitely ... publicly traded companies like this are all about the bottom line ... that's why the "street" rewards companies for firing people despite record profits ... maybe, if you worked for a small firm - you could foster real change ... but we are talking goldman sachs here ... he's 1 guy swimming with sharks ... this is investment banking here ... there is no room for altruism ... it's all about $$$$$ ... you think young kids coming in think about working there to make the world a better place!? ... hell no - it's about getting that beamer or the condo over looking central park and dating some hot model ...

But, if you have no clients, how is the "street" rewarded? He's claiming this course will lead to lost clients. Ultimately, how does that benefit the share holders?
  • polaris_x wrote:

... you think young kids coming in think about working there to make the world a better place!? ... hell no - it's about getting that beamer or the condo over looking central park and dating some hot model ...

All the more reason for him to stay and mentor them.

EDIT: Or, quietly start his own company and do it the "right way."
    But, if you have no clients, how is the "street" rewarded? He's claiming this course will lead to lost clients. Ultimately, how does that benefit the share holders?

well ... that's the thing that is at the crux of many of our problems ... short-term strategies and thinking ... we are short-term culture with no patience ... it's all about bottom line numbers now ... <see housing bubble> ... when the clients leave, then they will figure it out then ... but by that time the execs would have cashed one hefty bonus after another ...

if the kids goals are materialistic ... how is mentoring them that they should treat their clients with respect and sacrifice $$$ going to work? ...
  • polaris_x wrote:

if the kids goals are materialistic ... how is mentoring them that they should treat their clients with respect and sacrifice $$$ going to work? ...

:?
  • polaris_x wrote:

well ... that's the thing that is at the crux of many of our problems ... short-term strategies and thinking ... we are short-term culture with no patience ... it's all about bottom line numbers now ... <see housing bubble> ... when the clients leave, then they will figure it out then ... but by that time the execs would have cashed one hefty bonus after another ...

I'm not saying he's not highlighting a problem. And don't use the housing bubble as an example. That had far more to do with the Clinton Administration "forcing" loans that folks couldn't afford then anything else. So, yes, the execs reaped rewards, but some of it wasn't their own doing (as sadly ironic as that is).

As for short term - ok. Now, you're talking about bonuses to execs. That's fine. Before you were talking about the "street."

Based on this line of thinking, I guess we could assume the guy was denied a bonus b/c he's the only one that has a moral compass :roll: , so he's bitching about it.

Sorry. I'm extremely cynical when it comes to this stuff. He's such a do-gooder, but instead of instituting change (either internally or via his own works), he takes out an op-ed piece. I know. This is just phase 1 of his larger plan. We'll all know what his plan is when Goldman Sachs or he claim bankruptcy.

It's easy to paint everyone with such a broad brush. But, until you're willing to DO something about it, shut the pie hole. Tell us about the great new venture you're doing that will give flowers to every client that comes through the door.
    Sorry. I'm extremely cynical when it comes to this stuff. He's such a do-gooder, but instead of instituting change (either internally or via his own works), he takes out an op-ed piece. I know. This is just phase 1 of his larger plan. We'll all know what his plan is when Goldman Sachs or he claim bankruptcy.

It's easy to paint everyone with such a broad brush. But, until you're willing to DO something about it, shut the pie hole. Tell us about the great new venture you're doing that will give flowers to every client that comes through the door.

really!?? ... you're a cynic!? ... didn't notice! ... :lol:

who's to say the guy didn't try? ... and failed? ... and the simple fact is he's doing something about it now ... it would be more cynical to think this guy keeps getting paycheck after paycheck, bonus after bonus and feeling this way ...

look ... i don't know this guy from the next ... i do know he gave up a huge salary and i do know what he speaks is truth ... so, yeah - maybe there are ulterior motives, maybe he isn't the kind of person he's making himself out to be ... i dunno ... but the bottom line is that culture is prevalent (like you said - you didn't learn anything) so, this is his avenue to try and foster change ...
  • It's this simple to me - Who is he telling?

A) The rich folk that must have gotten there by luck and stupidity?
    B) The small investors that don't have enough invested to "move the needle?"
    C) The 401K investors that pick from a menagerie of options and never really speak to anyone?
    D) The "public?" And if so, to what ends? So, some can stare blankly and nod in agreement at their ingrained stereotypes?

I'm not even clear on who his audience is.

This seems like The Robot from Land of the Lost - Warning! Warning! Danger, Will Robinson! when we can all see the paper mache monster.

But, the masses will eat it up. So, more power to him. Just know that while he's sipping champagne on his yacht, he doesn't really give a crap what happens to Goldman Sachs or YOU.